Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Why does searching for addresses on Live Maps rarely work?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • Bas

When I look for an address, it rarely finds them. Usually I'll have to just search the city, and then scan the map for the street I'm looking for. It doesn't matter if my search is "street, city" or "123 street, city" or "street 123, city" or "123 street city", it just never finds anything. Look for a German address that contains a ß or ü character and you can just forget about the whole thing.

Compare:

A search for "Prisma 63, Sliedrecht" in Google Maps.
    A search for "Prisma 63, Sliedrecht" in Live Maps.
    A search for "Schönbrunner Schloßstraße, Vienna" in Google Maps.
    A search for "Schönbrunner Schloßstraße, Vienna" in Live Maps.
    Google even accepts the spelling "Schonbrunner Schlossstrasse, Vienna" whereas Live Maps doesn't.

Edit: well, it looks like Live Maps doesn't even accept the URLs those links point too. You'll just have to imagine that they point to a search for that address on that site.

Why is that?

It also doesn't help that Live Maps search defaults to "Businesses" rather than "Locations", by the way. Although the fact that Google starts in the US rather than your current location, like Live Maps, is pretty annoying too.

• Sven Groot

You can change the starting location of Google Maps, though that does require you to be signed in.

Google Maps will only accept Japanese addresses when they're typed in Japanese. Still better than Live Maps, which won't accept them at all.

EDIT: Do you live in Sliedrecht? My dad works there (at a primary school), and I used to work there as well (at Unit4Agresso).

EDIT2: Note that your Sliedrecht search does work in Live Maps if you type "Prisma 63, Sliedrecht, Nederland"

• TommyCarlier

I like Live Maps, especially the birds eye view, but it's hopeless for searching addresses. Google Maps is great at searching for addresses (or anything else) and I really like how Google Maps' route planner allows you to drag the parcours around to automatically re-route.

• magicalclick

TommyCarlier said:
    I like Live Maps, especially the birds eye view, but it's hopeless for searching addresses. Google Maps is great at searching for addresses (or anything else) and I really like how Google Maps' route planner allows you to drag the parcours around to automatically re-route.
    That's odd. It is fine for me. I searched an address on Live without specifying blvd/street. It works. On the other hand, I have to speficy blvd/street on Google. My search is in South California, don't know if this matters or not.

Google's custome route is way better indeed. It sucks to bad that I haven't heard anything from MS about custome route.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • Bas

TommyCarlier said:
    See, that's how it is for me too. The images are much better than Google's in my area, and nothing beats bird's eye view, but finding an address (apparently anywhere outside the US) is a disaster.

• Bas

Sven Groot said:
    You can change the starting location of Google Maps, though that does require you to be signed in.

Google Maps will only accept Japanese addresses when they're typed in Japanese. Still better than Live Maps, which won't accept them at all.

EDIT: Do you live in Sliedrecht? My dad works there (at a primary school), and I used to work there as well (at Unit4Agresso).

EDIT2: Note that your Sliedrecht search does work in Live Maps if you type "Prisma 63, Sliedrecht, Nederland"

Nah, I live in the next town over. I work in Sliedrecht though. I drive past both Unit4 buildings every day. Also, a friend of mine is interning at OBS De Wilgen. If that's the one where your dad works, then it really is a small world after all.

Hmm, good point. I wonder why it only searches in the US then, when you're not specifying a country.

• ManipUni

Bas said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*

Hmm, good point. I wonder why it only searches in the US then, when you're not specifying a country.
    They both have some nice features that the other lacks but I have to agree with everyone else - Live Maps can't do addresses at all.

Although it seems better than Google at finding Business and big locations like Airports.

• intelman

Live isn't great at finding places...period. I wanted the phone number for Bob Evans....

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=bob+evans+london+oh&aq=f&oq=

Google tells me straight up.

http://search.live.com/results.aspx?q=bob+evans+london+oh&form=QBLH

Live tells me Bob Evans close to London, but not there. The first link to Yahoo actually gave me the phone number, but still, that is lame. The place is about 3 or 4 years old now.

• Sven Groot

Bas said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*

Nah, I live in the next town over. I work in Sliedrecht though. I drive past both Unit4 buildings every day. Also, a friend of mine is interning at OBS De Wilgen. If that's the one where your dad works, then it really is a small world after all.

That is indeed where he works. I made their site. Smiley

• Mark Brown

Hey FYI, our latest release is coming out next week. We made some big changes and improvements to our parsing engine and to our geocoder specifically to help with searches in Western Europe.

Stay tuned to my blog out on http://blogs.msdn.com/markbrown for the announcement on this upcoming release.

-mark

• Sven Groot

ManipUni said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*
    They both have some nice features that the other lacks but I have to agree with everyone else - Live Maps can't do addresses at all.

Although it seems better than Google at finding Business and big locations like Airports.

Being the huge aviation nerd that I am I regularly search for airports using their ICAO code. In Google Maps this works fine, in Live Maps it doesn't work at all.

For instance if you search for RJTT in Google Maps, you instantly end up at Tokyo Haneda International Airport. Do that in Live Maps: nothing.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.