Coffeehouse Thread

67 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

37 Brand New Windows 7 M3 Screenshots

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Andre Da Costa

From THINKNEXT via Mary Jo Foley All About Microsoft

Here are a couple videos

And here is my preview post about it all.

• User profile image
    kettch

The calculator alone is worth the price of admission. Big Smile

• User profile image
    tfraser

It looks good in general, especially the calculator. One thing I'm not so sure about is why WordPad has been endowed with the Ribbon interface. It seems a bit excessive when there is only one tab and it's not even completely filled. Having said that, at least it looks nicer than the old toolbar stack.

• User profile image
    matthews

Yay, it comes with PowerShell!

• User profile image
    Andre Da Costa

tfraser said:
    It looks good in general, especially the calculator. One thing I'm not so sure about is why WordPad has been endowed with the Ribbon interface. It seems a bit excessive when there is only one tab and it's not even completely filled. Having said that, at least it looks nicer than the old toolbar stack.
    Agreed! Word and other Office had 1500 commands, features that were hidden and needed to be exposed.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

tfraser said:
    WordPad is actually an MFC sample app (the source code ships as an example in Visual Studio).  The latest version of MFC (the one that came along with the TR1 additions for C++) comes with a version of Wordpad that uses the ribbon; maybe this means that the new UI components (ribbon and such) are going to be available for third parties to use, too.

• User profile image
    Yggdrasil

CannotResolveSymbol said:
    tfraser said:
    *snip*
    WordPad is actually an MFC sample app (the source code ships as an example in Visual Studio).  The latest version of MFC (the one that came along with the TR1 additions for C++) comes with a version of Wordpad that uses the ribbon; maybe this means that the new UI components (ribbon and such) are going to be available for third parties to use, too.
    A while ago there was a video here with a developer from the C++ team about new additions to MFC in VS2008. One of the new bits was a Ribbon control available to all MFC applications. Also mentioned in the VC++ Blog. I think we will start seeing more Ribbon apps in the future.

• User profile image
    Dovella

CannotResolveSymbol said:
    tfraser said:
    *snip*
    @CannotResolveSymbol

you work in WIndows 7 team?

• User profile image
    stevo_

Making the windows orb glow properly seems so obvious now..

• User profile image
    ManipUni

So instead of keeping Paint an easy to use application they're moving it closer to Photoshop?

Who benefits from this? The people who can use Photoshop will use photoshop. The people who can't won't be able to use either. Seems like a bad design decision if you ask me.

The new version looks absolutely awful. Almost as bad a Gimp.

• User profile image
    Dovella

ManipUni said:
    So instead of keeping Paint an easy to use application they're moving it closer to Photoshop?

Who benefits from this? The people who can use Photoshop will use photoshop. The people who can't won't be able to use either. Seems like a bad design decision if you ask me.

you have try Paint.net?

• User profile image
    wkempf

ManipUni said:

Because paint, as it is today, is useful or used by anyone?  Really?

Paint is a toy.  It doesn't do ANYTHING that users really want to do.  Most people don't need an application as big and complex as Photoshop.  But NO ONE needs an application with the limited features of Paint.  I'm assuming the new Paint will have a sane set of features, which means it will have a lot more than Paint, and a lot less than Photoshop.

• User profile image
    ManipUni

wkempf said:
    ManipUni said:
    *snip*

Paint is a toy.  It doesn't do ANYTHING that users really want to do.  Most people don't need an application as big and complex as Photoshop.  But NO ONE needs an application with the limited features of Paint.  I'm assuming the new Paint will have a sane set of features, which means it will have a lot more than Paint, and a lot less than Photoshop.
    Yes.

And it is perhaps the most popular image editing software in the world.

• User profile image
    Yggdrasil

wkempf said:
    ManipUni said:
    *snip*

Paint is very useful, to me. I use it mostly to crop and mark screenshots, and it does it very well. I have Paint.net, but the 3-4 second startup time makes it totally annoying to use. Simple tasks call for simple tools. Simple and FAST tools. I hope that doesn't change.

• User profile image
    Dovella

Yggdrasil said:
    wkempf said:
    *snip*
    Paint is very useful, to me. I use it mostly to crop and mark screenshots, and it does it very well. I have Paint.net, but the 3-4 second startup time makes it totally annoying to use. Simple tasks call for simple tools. Simple and FAST tools. I hope that doesn't change.
    paint.net start up??

1 max 1,5 sec to start up

Photoshop in my PC  start up in 3 sec.

what is your hardware?

• User profile image
    matthews

Yggdrasil said:
    wkempf said:
    *snip*
    For cropping screenshots, wouldn't it be easiest to just use the Snipping Tool? Or for an already made screenshot, the cropping tools in Windows Photo Gallery?

• User profile image
    stevo_

Most people would agree that paint is a pretty useless tool in Windows, it certainly should be updated to be more useful. Theres no reason the app has to stay in the 90s..

People actually used to pirate photoshop because they wanted acceptable support for image basics like cropping and resizing, as well as optimization of output images. Theres lots of free software now like paint.net that just make paint completely irrelevent.

• User profile image
    Dovella

i wait PDC

I do not accept photos to a blog without any explanation from the creators.

microsoft should immediately censor this blog! these people are not reported?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.