Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Outlook rules for IE

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • Jaz

Wouldn't it be nice for IE to have rules such as the ones for Outlook.  Well for fave's anyhow.

imagine, you're browsing the ebay site see something that ends in 5 days so you bookmark it.  Now if you had a rule for ebay, the item would end up in your ebay folder. not in your main folder.

of course if we had a folder for tech sites that may be diffucult.  Hmm i guess if a tech site wanted to allow it they could have some XML or something in the header to show it's a tech site and should go intoa  tech folder but that seems overly complex as most people aren't gonna make the same rules for everything etc etc

• KW802

Jaz wrote:
    Wouldn't it be nice for IE to have rules such as the ones for Outlook.  Well for fave's anyhow.

imagine, you're browsing the ebay site see something that ends in 5 days so you bookmark it.  Now if you had a rule for ebay, the item would end up in your ebay folder. not in your main folder.

of course if we had a folder for tech sites that may be diffucult.  Hmm i guess if a tech site wanted to allow it they could have some XML or something in the header to show it's a tech site and should go intoa  tech folder but that seems overly complex as most people aren't gonna make the same rules for everything etc etc

And how is this more effecient then just creating a Favorites folder called "eBay" and storing the link directly inside of it? 

• Jaz

isn't it obvious,  for those of us who just press ctrl+D when hitting a site the ebay pages don't go into the ebay folder.  they instead goto the bottom of your main folder. my main folder has like 100 links in there.

thus by having this system, when a user presses ctrl+d the page ends up in the specified folder.

• miies

Is it really that much work to organize your favorites a little?? Smiley For crying out loud, you can just open your favorites menu, and drag the item directly onto a subfolder, done..

• KW802

Jaz wrote:
    isn't it obvious,  for those of us who just press ctrl+D when hitting a site the ebay pages don't go into the ebay folder.  they instead goto the bottom of your main folder. my main folder has like 100 links in there.

thus by having this system, when a user presses ctrl+d the page ends up in the specified folder.

Sad part is I can't tell if you're trying to be humorous or if you're serious.

• Jazzynupe

I like your point of "why do it if you don't have to?" I it would make organizing my links easier. especially if you forget or can't remember how you organized the links before. Plus you can simplify the interface and make it so that all you do is select bookmark and it sotres everything in say WinFS? Big Smile

Just a quick thought, but automatic organization would be good.

• miies

Except for the fact that Favorites/Bookmarks/Whatever are traditionally intended to remember websites you haven't vivisted before, and of which you think "Hey, I should come back here!"

How are you going to create rules for sites you haven't visited before?

(Yeah I know, your "ebay" example is valid, but I think it's exaggerated. I don't visit sites that don't offer me a decent way to navigate to things I like. (Long live Amazon!))

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.