Coffeehouse Thread

17 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Windows Live Installer = Piece of Crap

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    ManipUni

So I am now stuck with a damaged Windows Live Messenger installation.

The Windows Live installer thinks it is installed. The Live Uninstaller doesn't exist and when I visit Microsoft's support pages I just get a generic link back to MSN.com with no information on it at all.

So now I am going to have to go though the registry and manually figure out which entries the Live Installer is using to determin if Live Messenger is installed.

For the love of god why didn't these morons just use the normal Microsoft Installer?

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Does it show up in here?  Hopefully they're using the Windows Installer database to determine whether or not the Windows Live Installer is installed.

• User profile image
    ManipUni

CannotResolveSymbol said:
    Does it show up in here?  Hopefully they're using the Windows Installer database to determine whether or not the Windows Live Installer is installed.
    Thanks for the help.

Noted for next time. For now my technique of going though the registry deleting anything with the most remote reference to Live Messenger appears to have worked.

So now it will let me install long enough to uninstall it.

• User profile image
    Koogle

Windows Live + Installer = Piece of Crap

agreed

• User profile image
    Dovella

Koogle said:

agreed
    in fact

Apple Update = Ipercrap to add Windows Defender

• User profile image
    Ray7

Dovella said:
    Koogle said:
    *snip*
    in fact

Apple Update = Ipercrap to add Windows Defender
    Okay, I'm confused ... what does this have to do with Apple?

If you're going to leap to Microsoft's defence with some 'but what about Apple!' when someone makes a legitimate complaint, then how is that better than what the Apple fanboys are doing?

• User profile image
    Dovella

Ray7 said:
    Dovella said:
    *snip*
    Okay, I'm confused ... what does this have to do with Apple?

If you're going to leap to Microsoft's defence with some 'but what about Apple!' when someone makes a legitimate complaint, then how is that better than what the Apple fanboys are doing?

when I explained my reasons in the my thread

Virus apple in your PC

I received a bomb in my car, floods, riots popular etc etc

Now Live Installer is Crapware??

absurd

• User profile image
    Ray7

Dovella said:
    Ray7 said:
    *snip*
    when I explained my reasons in the my thread

Virus apple in your PC

I received a bomb in my car, floods, riots popular etc etc

Now Live Installer is Crapware??

absurd
    Yeah, but this is a new thread

If you keep going over stuff we've all gassed on about before, then we'll be here all night. And no-one said that Live Installer was installing crapware; they just said it was crap. There is a difference.

• User profile image
    Dovella

Ray7 said:
    Dovella said:
    *snip*
    Yeah, but this is a new thread

If you keep going over stuff we've all gassed on about before, then we'll be here all night. And no-one said that Live Installer was installing crapware; they just said it was crap. There is a difference.

the real problem

i have IRON MEMORY Big Smile

• User profile image
    blowdart

Dovella said:
    Ray7 said:
    *snip*
    the real problem

i have IRON MEMORY Big Smile
    Well having a plate in your head would explain so so much

• User profile image
    Sabot

Koogle said:

agreed
    UG!  x 3

The installer does *suck* I've never run it on a machine that has ever worked first time .. is it because I had beta version on their first and it can't handle the update?

• User profile image
    matthews

Sabot said:
    Koogle said:
    *snip*
    UG!  x 3

The installer does *suck* I've never run it on a machine that has ever worked first time .. is it because I had beta version on their first and it can't handle the update?
    I've never had a problem with it...

• User profile image
    MasterPi

matthews said:
    Sabot said:
    *snip*
    I've never had a problem with it...
    Neither have I.

I once had a problem with the VS express installer, though.

• User profile image
    Niner

I never had any problem with Live Installer.
    If you are having problem with Installer, try this Windows installer cleanup utility http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

• User profile image
    Minh

Niner said:
    I never had any problem with Live Installer.
    If you are having problem with Installer, try this Windows installer cleanup utility http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Windows Live Writer won't install for some reason.

Movie Maker is pre-alpha at best.

Disappointed.

• User profile image
    kettch

Minh said:
    Niner said:
    *snip*
    Windows Live Writer won't install for some reason.

Movie Maker is pre-alpha at best.

Disappointed.
    How can you be disappointed when beta software doesn't work right? Sure the Google Kool-Aid makes people think that beta means "new", but it is a phase of testing software that isn't 100%.

• User profile image
    Minh

kettch said:
    Minh said:
    *snip*
    How can you be disappointed when beta software doesn't work right? Sure the Google Kool-Aid makes people think that beta means "new", but it is a phase of testing software that isn't 100%.
    But it's pre-beta software. It hardly does anything. It's not like they're trying to let people find bugs from it... cuz it does nothing.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.