Coffeehouse Thread

53 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Another Linux store opens...

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

in my neighbourhood!  All my computer worries are over!  Tongue Out

• User profile image
    matthews

Betting 1 month before failure.

• User profile image
    Bass

That's GNU/Linux to you bub! Oh by the way if you act now you can get cryptic passwords 10% off if you buy 40 or more.

The Atlantis scheme costs extra though:

• User profile image
    jamie

Bass said:
    That's GNU/Linux to you bub! Oh by the way if you act now you can get cryptic passwords 10% off if you buy 40 or more.

wow! .. why cant we have stuff like that?  (without the flickering)

• User profile image
    Bass

jamie said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*
    I heard Windows 7 will one up Linux and have the desktop HYPERcube! 4-D!!

• User profile image
    jason818_25​3.33

Bass said:

My first time ever seeing linux.

The fish look stiff. budget animation.

the cube was alright. but why not just make different 'desk tops'. rather than have a complex cube to navigate?

Interesting that linux runs xp but does Windows run linux? i dont know why you would want it to. 

Linux looks like windows. it uses the same gui concept of opening windows to navigate.

• User profile image
    stevo_

jamie said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*

Whats the obsession with wanting a cube wanky desktop? not to mention this is new enough that its (like all linux crap) copied off everything else, has glass windows and they close like Vista..

Also the music at the start is ripped off donkey kong or something..

Seriously jamie if you want that tack, don't hold out for it hitting windows, and don't moan when it doesn't turn up in windows on the latest service pack.. go download atlantis 4.1 alpha beta gamma drunk panda [souped up by xKhaN12] ===----*&&^^ and have a ball..

• User profile image
    matthews

stevo_ said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*

Whats the obsession with wanting a cube wanky desktop? not to mention this is new enough that its (like all linux crap) copied off everything else, has glass windows and they close like Vista..

Seriously jamie if you want that tack, don't hold out for it hitting windows, and don't moan when it doesn't turn up in windows on the latest service pack.. go download atlantis 4.1 alpha beta gamma drunk panda [souped up by xKhaN12] ===----*&&^^ and have a ball..

Even after years of using Linux on the desktop, I could never understand why anyone would want to have multiple workspaces when you could just minimze app windows and keep everything within one click access.

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

stevo_ said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*

I have to admit, making the inside of the cube an aquarium is rather clever.

Still, I remember seeing a couple of students in the college PC lab trying to write a 3D (wireframe) cube task switcher for Windows 3.1 back in the early 90's. I don't know if they were ever successful.

• User profile image
    magicalclick

matthews said:
    stevo_ said:
    *snip*
    Even after years of using Linux on the desktop, I could never understand why anyone would want to have multiple workspaces when you could just minimze app windows and keep everything within one click access.
    That's simple. I have found myself wanting to use virtual desktop form time to time. I just couldn't really adapt to it, too much managments.

Virtual desktop is really good for work envirnment switching. For example, one for games, one for work, one for xxx, and more. When someone budge in, you can quickly switch your desktop away from your private workspace.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    PerfectPhase

Bass said:

Any one know how this works on 2+ monitor setups?

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

Wow, virus-free operating system , I'm going to get it,

And its not just linux, its GNU linux

• User profile image
    Lee_Dale

brian.shapiro said:
    Wow, virus-free operating system , I'm going to get it,

And its not just linux, its GNU linux
    Yeah that made me laugh too, Virus free OS lol

Is this like when you goto Tescos and they have sugar free chocolate bars or organic crisps?

Really sometimes I wonder about the mentality of people in this industry.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

leeappdalecom said:
    brian.shapiro said:
    *snip*
    Yeah that made me laugh too, Virus free OS lol

Is this like when you goto Tescos and they have sugar free chocolate bars or organic crisps?

Really sometimes I wonder about the mentality of people in this industry.
    Another Beer failure?

• User profile image
    jamie

stevo_ said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*

i dunno... maybe waiting 6 years for vista wpf .. and then no one develops anything for it.
    meanwhile - the tinker toy crowd can make a beautiful emmersive half original shell

too bad no apps i use work with it.

ps - i never liked the cube that much - but putting it in a ocean was pretty cool

• User profile image
    Erwin Blonk

I had a Linux store in my old neighborhood about ten years ago. It has moved because the needed more space. It, however, is a temp agency.
    In case you want to check it out:
    Linux Uitzendbureau B.V.
    Lorentzplein 22
    Den Haag
    Nederland

They don't have a website, they are specialized in greenhouse personnel (picking tomatoes, paprikas, flowers etc) which can be a shady business around here (think illegal immigrants, messing with taxes and all that).

• User profile image
    jonathansam​pson

jamie said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*
    ++;

I was at a .NET user-group and asked the MSFT Rep if Windows would ever have multiple desktops - he honestly said, "What is that?"

• User profile image
    jonathansam​pson

matthews said:
    stevo_ said:
    *snip*
    Uh, hello! To hide games from the boss. Desktop 2 is for Nukem Forever, and 1 is for work Smiley

I like using multiple desktops for cleanliness. If I'm working on a couple projects, I like having project A on Desktop 1, and project B on Desktop 2, just to keep myself from confusing Database Window A from Database Window B, etc Smiley

Of course if Microsoft allowed you to pull your minimized apps into groups, and then maximize/minimize from that group tab in the taskbar, that would be awesome.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.