Coffeehouse Thread

25 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Apple's App Store schizophrenia driving developers crazy

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Dovella

    By Chris Foresman
    Arstechnica

    Apple's iPhone is, by all accounts, a success, and Apple may be on track to sell 5 million iPhone 3Gs this quarter. A big part of that success has come from the array of software options available from the App Store, the sole distribution point for third-party iPhone software. Though many developers are selling a lot of software, a significant number are becoming frustrated and angry due to Apple's recent decisions regarding which apps are fit for distribution; the situation has been made worse by reports that Apple has a policy that makes the rejection letters subject to a NDA.

    Continue here

    have you had similar experience?

  • User profile image
    tfraser

    Dovella, The Coffehouse is not supposed to be a news aggregator. It's not constructive to just post links to news items, especially when they are always either biased in Microsoft's favour or critical of another company.

    Regarding the article, at least now all iPhone developers should know that they run the risk of having their applications rejected. I can understand Apple's intention to maintain the integrity of the App Store and I support their decision to knock back the software cited in the article.

    I'm tired of hearing iPhone developers complaining when their applications aren't accepted. If they want certainty that they can build whatever they like then they should have selected Windows Mobile or Android as a platform instead.

  • User profile image
    Dr Herbie

    Dovella : we have had several 9ers in the past who posted similar streams of 'post-and-run' threads.  It appears that the general consesus is that this is a a little bit rude.  By all means post these links, but you would receive far fewer complaints if you also added your own opinion and comments, otherwise people are liable to regard them as a form of spam.


    In my opinion, any developer who develops for the iPhone must be going in with their eyes open.  It's no use complaining that Apple rejected your software when you already know how controlling Apple can be.  Stop whining and write better software! Wink


    Herbie

  • User profile image
    Dovella

    tfraser said:
    Dovella, The Coffehouse is not supposed to be a news aggregator. It's not constructive to just post links to news items, especially when they are always either biased in Microsoft's favour or critical of another company.

    Regarding the article, at least now all iPhone developers should know that they run the risk of having their applications rejected. I can understand Apple's intention to maintain the integrity of the App Store and I support their decision to knock back the software cited in the article.

    I'm tired of hearing iPhone developers complaining when their applications aren't accepted. If they want certainty that they can build whatever they like then they should have selected Windows Mobile or Android as a platform instead.
    I'm sorry but every day I see the opposite. And I do not understand why in that case none of you speak.


    Sorry!

  • User profile image
    crash`

    tfraser said:
    Dovella, The Coffehouse is not supposed to be a news aggregator. It's not constructive to just post links to news items, especially when they are always either biased in Microsoft's favour or critical of another company.

    Regarding the article, at least now all iPhone developers should know that they run the risk of having their applications rejected. I can understand Apple's intention to maintain the integrity of the App Store and I support their decision to knock back the software cited in the article.

    I'm tired of hearing iPhone developers complaining when their applications aren't accepted. If they want certainty that they can build whatever they like then they should have selected Windows Mobile or Android as a platform instead.
    I agree with you on everything.

  • User profile image
    blowdart

    Dovella said:
    tfraser said:
    *snip*
    I'm sorry but every day I see the opposite. And I do not understand why in that case none of you speak.


    Sorry!
    You couldn't even see the touch keypad on an iPhone, so really how trustworthy is your sight?

  • User profile image
    wisemx

    Dovella said:
    tfraser said:
    *snip*
    I'm sorry but every day I see the opposite. And I do not understand why in that case none of you speak.


    Sorry!
    I keep seeing everyone pick on you but I want you to know..You're craking me up.

  • User profile image
    Dovella

    wisemx said:
    Dovella said:
    *snip*
    I keep seeing everyone pick on you but I want you to know..You're craking me up.

  • User profile image
    VB Man

    Troll.

    I think Raymond picked up an Italian accent and got hazed by microsoft.

  • User profile image
    Dovella

    VB Man said:
    Troll.

    I think Raymond picked up an Italian accent and got hazed by microsoft.

    Please stop using this term when you are targeting me.
    If I am a Troll, you are a M.U.F. .

    PS.  article written by arstechnica, not me

  • User profile image
    kettch

    Dovella said:
    VB Man said:
    *snip*

    Please stop using this term when you are targeting me.
    If I am a Troll, you are a M.U.F. .

    PS.  article written by arstechnica, not me

    Look, the very thought of Apple annoys me, but you are still a troll.

    And we don't need you aggregating the interwebs and dumping it all into The Coffeehouse.

  • User profile image
    VB Man

    kettch said:
    Dovella said:
    *snip*
    Look, the very thought of Apple annoys me, but you are still a troll.

    And we don't need you aggregating the interwebs and dumping it all into The Coffeehouse.
    Thank you kettch. Well said.

    Dovella, I am no fanatic of any product. I use the best product available that I have access to. It just simply makes sense to do that. I use what I like and feel comfortable with.

    I don't know how you can call someone a "fanatic" of something when you post PRO Microsoft posts all....the....time.... and ANTI Apple posts all....the.....time....

  • User profile image
    littleguru

    Dovella said:
    VB Man said:
    *snip*

    Please stop using this term when you are targeting me.
    If I am a Troll, you are a M.U.F. .

    PS.  article written by arstechnica, not me

    Wow... Dovella, your English got way better over the last few months if you are writing all of your replies (and not using a translator).

  • User profile image
    kettch

    VB Man said:
    kettch said:
    *snip*
    Thank you kettch. Well said.

    Dovella, I am no fanatic of any product. I use the best product available that I have access to. It just simply makes sense to do that. I use what I like and feel comfortable with.

    I don't know how you can call someone a "fanatic" of something when you post PRO Microsoft posts all....the....time.... and ANTI Apple posts all....the.....time....

    That being said, a certain amount of stories from various sources do filter into The Coffeehouse, but (hopefully) they tend to be accompanied by appropriate commentary by the poster, along with a request for opinions from the rest of the niners.

  • User profile image
    Dovella

    kettch said:
    VB Man said:
    *snip*
    That being said, a certain amount of stories from various sources do filter into The Coffeehouse, but (hopefully) they tend to be accompanied by appropriate commentary by the poster, along with a request for opinions from the rest of the niners.
    My question to this thread was specific.

    @littleguru
    THX  ! Wink

    When talk of Apple , I have the impression of speaking with feminists.
    A feminist can speak freely of their ideals  (I think it is right ) for she is a source of pride.
    If  however I proclaim male chauvinist , all are ready to insult me  (ps. I'm not male chauvinist , it's only example)


    Christian , what do you think about that   ?

  • User profile image
    Ray7

    Dovella said:
    kettch said:
    *snip*
    My question to this thread was specific.

    @littleguru
    THX  ! Wink

    When talk of Apple , I have the impression of speaking with feminists.
    A feminist can speak freely of their ideals  (I think it is right ) for she is a source of pride.
    If  however I proclaim male chauvinist , all are ready to insult me  (ps. I'm not male chauvinist , it's only example)


    Christian , what do you think about that   ?

    This is supposed to be a discussion forum, yes?

    So when you post the message, add a few lines to start the discussion.

    I don't think Apple has done anything wrong.  The draconian workings of the app store were made perfectly clear before anyone  started coding.

    Yes, spending months writing an app without even knowing if you will be allowed to sell it, is ridiculous; that's the choice they made. They should stop bleating and/or change platforms.

  • User profile image
    Dovella

    Ray7 said:
    Dovella said:
    *snip*
    This is supposed to be a discussion forum, yes?

    So when you post the message, add a few lines to start the discussion.

    I don't think Apple has done anything wrong.  The draconian workings of the app store were made perfectly clear before anyone  started coding.

    Yes, spending months writing an app without even knowing if you will be allowed to sell it, is ridiculous; that's the choice they made. They should stop bleating and/or change platforms.

    Ray ma question is this


  • User profile image
    tfraser

    Dovella said:
    Ray7 said:
    *snip*
    Ray ma question is this


    Dovella, I'm not intending to pick on you but that wasn't there when you first started the thread; it's been added in at a later point. If it was there when you made the original post then there wouldn't have been any problem.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.