Coffeehouse Thread

16 posts

So how is Live Search doing?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ray7

    I can't remember the last time I used it and I guess the same goes for the rest of the planet, which is why our friends in Redmond have hit on this little gem in a desperate bid to get Google to notice them.

    Frequent Flyer Miles when you use Live Search.

    Interesting enough, the offer is only open to Internet Explorer users. Safari and Chrome users need not apply.

    I think it'll take an outfit with a little more imagination than MS to take on Google; they pretty much own web search now, and it'll take much more than consumer bribery to shift them.



  • User profile image
    Lizard​Rumsfeld

    Indeed.  Since I'm constantly setting up new PC's I invariably "accidentally" use Live a few times a day when I'm waiting for something to install and I search using IE. 

    It's really astounding just how the results don't even approach Google - every time I search for something Live seems to have no idea, whereas with Google it's usually the first link.  It just doesn't compare, still.

  • User profile image
    harumscarum

    Yes strange. I use live as my homepage on IE but still will bypass it to go to google (or just bring up FF). I think it looks nice and it is cool how they have the picture but just like the live maps I don't need all the extra fluff. Fluff is nice but at the end of the day all I need are great results.

  • User profile image
    jason818_25​3.33

    i use

    live search 90%
    Google 10%

    of the time

  • User profile image
    tfraser

    These promotions are at least a good way of letting people know about Live Search, even if they don't adopt it as their search engine of choice.

    I tend to use Google search and Live Search interchangeably and most of the time cannot notice any significant differences in the relevancy of results. However, I think that Google is still ahead in terms of integrating their other syndicated data within the results page. Granted, it doesn't matter (to Google or Microsoft) which service I use since I almost never touch the sponsored results anyway.

    I also find myself using search engines less and less as Wikipedia has become my primary way of initially locating information. Usually when I conduct a search the first result I go to is an article on Wikipedia so it makes sense to cut out the middle man. Google has already identified this trend, hence Knol, but this has a long way to go.

    Also, it seems inconceivable to me that any startup search service will be able to topple Google. The slightest hint of some innovative technology that could give Microsoft or Yahoo! the edge will see them be acquired in an instant.

  • User profile image
    jason818_25​3.33

    NitzWalsh said:
    Indeed.  Since I'm constantly setting up new PC's I invariably "accidentally" use Live a few times a day when I'm waiting for something to install and I search using IE. 

    It's really astounding just how the results don't even approach Google - every time I search for something Live seems to have no idea, whereas with Google it's usually the first link.  It just doesn't compare, still.

    Let me tell you something about Google. Now days it’s not much more efficient than any other search engine out there. People only use Google because “every one does it” and they think it’s for the cool kids. Let me tell you just how “hip” Google is. Google is so hip my grandmother uses it. Google is so cool, they would love to find a way to sell your personal information to any buyer.

  • User profile image
    Bass

    jason818_253.33 said:
    NitzWalsh said:
    *snip*

    Let me tell you something about Google. Now days it’s not much more efficient than any other search engine out there. People only use Google because “every one does it” and they think it’s for the cool kids. Let me tell you just how “hip” Google is. Google is so hip my grandmother uses it. Google is so cool, they would love to find a way to sell your personal information to any buyer.

    Well they'd be in violation of their Privacy Policy, which I am pretty sure is illegal. So far out of Microsoft and Google, only Microsoft was ever convicted of violating federal laws. But I wouldn't necessarily trust one company more then another.

  • User profile image
    mawcc

    I tried to use Live Search for a while, but I was always cross-checking the results with Google. Sometimes Live Search had similar results, but I cannot remember an instance where it was clearly better. And after a while I just switched back to Google in order to save time.

  • User profile image
    magicalclick

    I am the rare Live users. I have default Live Search on IE7 search bar. I use Live search most of the time. For my experience, the results are quite what I wanted. I don't feel like Google is any better.

    But for Map, Google is better with custom direction. The new Live Map has a work around on that, but it is far from intuitive. And about site search, my website visitors from Google are way more and the search terms are way more relevant. I barely have visitor from Live search and the search terms are not relevant to my keywords.

    Asides from those two, I think Live have better image search and video search. Particularly video search is not exclusive to their own soapbox, I search all videos from all sites. I find many cool videos I "need" from site other than youtube and soapbox.

    Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Andrei P

    Live Search and its Cashback program has generated a lot (and I do mean A LOT) of buzz on the bargain hunting forums lately, and that's because Microsoft is giving at times 30% cashback on any Buy It Now purchase on eBay, and at one point it was giving ~50% cashback for a lot of other merchants.

    Everyone that has played by the rules received their cashback in the promised 60 days, so even though this might not pay off for Microsoft in terms of having people switch from Google to Live Search, they scored many points with a lot of people.

  • User profile image
    Bass

    Andrei P said:
    Live Search and its Cashback program has generated a lot (and I do mean A LOT) of buzz on the bargain hunting forums lately, and that's because Microsoft is giving at times 30% cashback on any Buy It Now purchase on eBay, and at one point it was giving ~50% cashback for a lot of other merchants.

    Everyone that has played by the rules received their cashback in the promised 60 days, so even though this might not pay off for Microsoft in terms of having people switch from Google to Live Search, they scored many points with a lot of people.
    Yes but all these programs are costing them probably significant money, so they might get some marketshare but their bottom line will still be red.

  • User profile image
    tfraser

    Bass said:
    Andrei P said:
    *snip*
    Yes but all these programs are costing them probably significant money, so they might get some marketshare but their bottom line will still be red.
    They've got more than enough loot to cover the extra costs though. In the long run the extra marketshare is far more beneficial than saving money now.

  • User profile image
    magicalclick

    tfraser said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*
    They've got more than enough loot to cover the extra costs though. In the long run the extra marketshare is far more beneficial than saving money now.

    I treat cashback as a temporary deal though. What if they decided to stop it after they gain enough market share? Live search should gain their name some other way.
     
    For starter, Live is a terrible name. You can't say, let's Live it. Live Search should have its own name in their Live suite. Like Excel instead of Office SpreadSheet.

    Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Andrei P

    Andrei P said:
    Live Search and its Cashback program has generated a lot (and I do mean A LOT) of buzz on the bargain hunting forums lately, and that's because Microsoft is giving at times 30% cashback on any Buy It Now purchase on eBay, and at one point it was giving ~50% cashback for a lot of other merchants.

    Everyone that has played by the rules received their cashback in the promised 60 days, so even though this might not pay off for Microsoft in terms of having people switch from Google to Live Search, they scored many points with a lot of people.
    Just so you understand how much money are being put into this, Slickdeals is just one of the forums: http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=937306%20">http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=937306

    That topic was opened yesterday; it has 127 pages, 1,895 posts and 147,310 views so far. We're probably looking at $1 million in cashback just from the people referred to by that topic.

  • User profile image
    jamie

    Andrei P said:
    Andrei P said:
    *snip*
    Just so you understand how much money are being put into this, Slickdeals is just one of the forums: http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=937306%20">http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=937306

    That topic was opened yesterday; it has 127 pages, 1,895 posts and 147,310 views so far. We're probably looking at $1 million in cashback just from the people referred to by that topic.
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-10056670-75.html?tag=newsLatestHeadlinesArea.0

    "Analyst sees desperation in Microsoft SearchPerks"

  • User profile image
    Andrei P

    jamie said:
    Andrei P said:
    *snip*
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-10056670-75.html?tag=newsLatestHeadlinesArea.0

    "Analyst sees desperation in Microsoft SearchPerks"
    I guess back when Microsoft was saying they are investing $1 billion into Live Search, it had to do with these rewards programs.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.