Coffeehouse Thread

18 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

7:45 A.M. Italy (Naples) Sonic Boom!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Dovella

This morning, like every day at 7:45 I was already at work.

Suddenly I heard a tremendous explosion , my hair has become white as those of Richard Gere .
    12:00 Italian, finally a news reveals that the tremendous explosion was in reality a supersonic plane

video Example

SONIC BOOM!

never heard anything like it in all my life.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

When I was younger I would frequently hear sonic booms, but not anymore nowadays.

Some random facts:

• When Chuck Yeager first broke the sound barrier in 1947, they thought his plane had crashed because of this sound.
    • The oldest human invention to break the sound barrier is in fact not the airplane, but the whip. The sound of a whip cracking is not the sound of leather hitting leather, but is a tiny sonic boom caused by the tip of the whip travelling faster than sound as it loops around. This was not discovered until the invention of high-speed video cameras which could show that that was what's happening.
    • The first car to break the sound barrier was the Thrust SSC. It holds the world land speed record at 1228km/h.
    • Despite the fact that a sonic boom is often called the sound of something breaking the sound barrier, this is not in fact accurate. Anything travelling faster than sound continually produces this sound, not just at the moment it breaks the sound barrier.
  • User profile image
    Dovella

Sven Groot said:

When I was younger I would frequently hear sonic booms, but not anymore nowadays.

Some random facts:

• When Chuck Yeager first broke the sound barrier in 1947, they thought his plane had crashed because of this sound.
    • The oldest human invention to break the sound barrier is in fact not the airplane, but the whip. The sound of a whip cracking is not the sound of leather hitting leather, but is a tiny sonic boom caused by the tip of the whip travelling faster than sound as it loops around. This was not discovered until the invention of high-speed video cameras which could show that that was what's happening.
    • The first car to break the sound barrier was the Thrust SSC. It holds the world land speed record at 1228km/h.
    • Despite the fact that a sonic boom is often called the sound of something breaking the sound barrier, this is not in fact accurate. Anything travelling faster than sound continually produces this sound, not just at the moment it breaks the sound barrier.
    My fear stemmed mainly from Vesuvius ,

I thought. Now I miss the session of Windows 7 on you tube Wink
    Joke!

• User profile image
    spivonious

That video is probably the coolest thing I've ever seen.

• User profile image
    wisemx

Needless to say in the U.S. many of us are close to Military bases where trials are run daily.
    Guess that's where we spent all our money. Big Smile

btw...Check Youtube for videos of Sonic booms over water.
    You can see the water 'parting'.

• User profile image
    Dovella

wisemx said:
    Needless to say in the U.S. many of us are close to Military bases where trials are run daily.
    Guess that's where we spent all our money. Big Smile

btw...Check Youtube for videos of Sonic booms over water.
    You can see the water 'parting'.
    this is Italian News

Link

• User profile image
    wisemx

Dovella said:
    wisemx said:
    *snip*
    this is Italian News

Link
    hehe  Big Smile

Wasn't it one of our F16s that hit a Ski gondola there about 10 years ago?
    We need to be more careful...

• User profile image
    Dovella

wisemx said:
    Dovella said:
    *snip*
    hehe  Big Smile

Wasn't it one of our F16s that hit a Ski gondola there about 10 years ago?
    We need to be more careful...
    do not worry, if I find the pilot of the F16 to take it personally with the whip.
    Wink

• User profile image
    BlackTiger

Dovella said:
    wisemx said:
    *snip*
    do not worry, if I find the pilot of the F16 to take it personally with the whip.
    Wink
    I've heard it several times, but never saw.
    It looks cool. Like in sci-fi movies.

If you stumbled and fell down, it doesn't mean yet, that you're going in the wrong direction.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Dovella

BlackTiger said:
    Dovella said:
    *snip*
    I've heard it several times, but never saw.
    It looks cool. Like in sci-fi movies.
    sonicboom

• User profile image
    wisemx

Dovella said:
    BlackTiger said:
    *snip*
    sonicboom
    [youtube video="s24F5Qmehj8"]

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

omg, is that by any chance an Eurofighter Typhoon? Tongue Out Italy has a lot of these...

• User profile image
    eagle

Ion Todirel said:
    omg, is that by any chance an Eurofighter Typhoon? Tongue Out Italy has a lot of these...
    I lived in SW Kerry Eire for 15 years and everyday at 11:15 am the BA Concord flying from LHR to JFK would reach Mach-1 in the sky above us and give off a sonic boom that sounded like a crack of thunder

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

eagle said:
    Ion Todirel said:
    *snip*
    I lived in SW Kerry Eire for 15 years and everyday at 11:15 am the BA Concord flying from LHR to JFK would reach Mach-1 in the sky above us and give off a sonic boom that sounded like a crack of thunder
    cool, a free alarm clock Tongue Out I usually get up at that time Smiley

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

I actually went to middle school in naples (napoli) at the happy horseshoe on the Nato base in naples.  I'm not sure if this is still relevant, but there used to be a rather famous 'lady of the evening' who's preferred hangout was along a stone wall at the side of the road...her moniker was 'humpty dumpty'.

No kidding, you could buy T-shirts at the base exchange that had a charicature of her and the phrase "humpty dumpty sat on a wall" underneath.

On the plus side, though, you have the capri islands, great weather, pompeii and the much better preserved herculaneum.  I just wish I was there as an adult.

• User profile image
    Dovella

ScanIAm said:
    I actually went to middle school in naples (napoli) at the happy horseshoe on the Nato base in naples.  I'm not sure if this is still relevant, but there used to be a rather famous 'lady of the evening' who's preferred hangout was along a stone wall at the side of the road...her moniker was 'humpty dumpty'.

No kidding, you could buy T-shirts at the base exchange that had a charicature of her and the phrase "humpty dumpty sat on a wall" underneath.

On the plus side, though, you have the capri islands, great weather, pompeii and the much better preserved herculaneum.  I just wish I was there as an adult.
    Naples is a Mix of  Beverly Hills, Bronx  an Tokyo
    my examples are not random.

We have town like  Sorrento, Positano , Amalfi , Capri, Nerano, Conca dei Marini , etc etc..
    where you can leave your Ferrari alone with the keys on the dashboard , no thief will take you off the car.
    VIP every year from all over the world spend their holidays here  (Bill Gates went to Nerano with  Octupus).
    More remote areas are invaded by criminals, like Scampia , Forcella , Quartieri Spagnoli etc.

In all this good living in Naples depends only on the area you live in, probably this can be true for every city in the world.

• User profile image
    wisemx

Dovella said:
    ScanIAm said:
    *snip*

We have town like  Sorrento, Positano , Amalfi , Capri, Nerano, Conca dei Marini , etc etc..
    where you can leave your Ferrari alone with the keys on the dashboard , no thief will take you off the car.
    VIP every year from all over the world spend their holidays here  (Bill Gates went to Nerano with  Octupus).
    More remote areas are invaded by criminals, like Scampia , Forcella , Quartieri Spagnoli etc.

In all this good living in Naples depends only on the area you live in, probably this can be true for every city in the world.

I thought we bought Naples from you. Big Smile
    (U.S.M.C. / U.S. Navy)

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Dovella said:
    ScanIAm said:
    *snip*

I have so many great memories of living there, but I think my favorite was when we took a ferry out to visit capri.  Naples harbor, at the time, was a cesspool of dirty, brown, nasty water that is always common in a commercial port/harbor.  Upon nearing Capri, though, you would have thought you were hovering over the sea bottom.  The water around Capri is bluer, even, than the caribbean.

Oh, and italian drivers are probably the most skilled, and yet the most inconsiderate I've ever seen:

They can turn a 2 lane intersection into a 5 lane standstill Smiley

Calimari FTW!

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.