Coffeehouse Thread

13 posts

'One more time...' or C9 Videos CD+DVD

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    selflex

Hello, people!

I'd like to offer C9 to do the subj. To do some CDs/DVDs, for example, one for 1/2 of year. People, that hasn't got unlimited internet access (as me) will say you 'thanks'. Why 'one more time'? Because I sent this offer to Robert Scoble email, but maybe he didn't understand my language =) maybe anti-spam filtered my message, and now I'm posting it here. Don't keep silence, please, let's discuss it here.

• User profile image
    eagle

Why don't you do it then? Show some initiative, because I don't think the C9 Team has the time to take on another project.

A Website is one thing, but distributing CD's is another. Sharing with your friends is OK, but selling DVD's will create conflicts.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

eagle wrote:
    A Website is one thing, but distributing CD's is another. Sharing with your friends is OK, but selling DVD's will create conflicts.

It would be more acceptable if the profit-margin was eliminated and all the costs were soley for shipping and handling.

• User profile image
    selflex

I don't talk about total distribution, about great number of this disks. Maybe we can o this inside, inside C9. As gift, for example

• User profile image
    asqui

Hmmmm, I was assuming that demand for this is likely to be low (limited to people who don't have broadband) therefore each person wanting a DVD set could find a willing volounteer to burn and mail the media.

That would be informal enough, and the volounteers could even negotiate a price to cover costs and discourage 'unworthy' requests (though the hassle of transferring a few bucks across countries and currencies is unlikely to be worth it).

I don't have a DVD burner at the moment, though if I did I'd be happy to send out a couple of packs for free. (Just to keep my Karma topped up, if nothing else)

What do you guys think? I have seen this sort of thing work quite well in some communities.

• User profile image
    Skriker V1.0

Ill make 5 DVDs free of charge just postage to anywhere, email me if you want a disc

• User profile image
    asqui

Skriker V1.0 wrote:
    Ill make 5 DVDs free of charge just postage to anywhere, email me if you want a disc

Now that's what I'm talking about!

PS: Apparently the full collection is three DVDs...
    (if there's significant demand for the archive amongst broadband users we might even get a Torrent going.)

• User profile image
    AndyC

I've no real objection to doing it for small numbers of people in the UK. Not being a gazillionaire (yet) I don't really want three thousand odd requests from people wanting archives of C9 sending me bankrupt.

The biggest problem, that I can see, is that the videos page isn't exactly the easiest way to get hold of them as the ordering changes dependent upon when the last comment was posted. So you could all too easily miss one out. A list of video links in the order they were first published would make obtaining it all a bit easier.

• User profile image
    footballism

eagle wrote:
    Why don't you do it then? Show some initiative, because I don't think the C9 Team has the time to take on another project.

I agree with eagle.
    you know selling DVDs or distributing them for free are both inappropriate.
    and it's also pretty hard for c9 team to distribute the CDs to every c9'er around the world who are desperate for those CD stuffs.

• User profile image
    Rossj

footballism wrote:
    eagle wrote:Why don't you do it then? Show some initiative, because I don't think the C9 Team has the time to take on another project.

A Website is one thing, but distributing CD's is another.
    Sharing with your friends is OK, but selling DVD's will create conflicts.

I agree with eagle. you know selling DVDs or distributing them for free are both inappropriate.

I believe Paul actually said sharing with your friends is okay (in his opinion), so sending them to other niners is okay - isn't it?

• User profile image
    footballism

Rossj wrote:

I believe Paul actually said sharing with your friends is okay (in his opinion), so sending them to other niners is okay - isn't it?

yep,it's ok,but the problem I see here is that you cannot get those first hand CDs for free,uh?

• User profile image
    Mike Dimmick

AndyC wrote:
    The biggest problem, that I can see, is that the videos page isn't exactly the easiest way to get hold of them as the ordering changes dependent upon when the last comment was posted. So you could all too easily miss one out. A list of video links in the order they were first published would make obtaining it all a bit easier.

On the Videos forum page, there's a 'Sort' drop-down at the end of the header. Set it to 'First Topic' to see ascending order (oldest first) or 'Last Topic' for descending order (most recent first).

• User profile image
    Jaz

if only all those zillions of AOL cds were rewritable

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.