Coffeehouse Thread

23 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

M Language

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    JoshRoss

On the front page of slashdot, there is a link to a blog post that mentions a new language from Microsoft.  Is there an official M page?

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

Upon reading the article, I thought to myself "heaven help us all".

The Article said:
    Time will only tell how many will actually use the language outright before Microsoft finds a way to force programmers to use it
    If they attempt to force M on developers, they will be attempting to kill C/C++, which I consider to be offensive, as I love C/C++.

• User profile image
    JoshRoss

Shining Arcanine said:
    The Article said:
    *snip*
    If they attempt to force M on developers, they will be attempting to kill C/C++, which I consider to be offensive, as I love C/C++.
    Now that is some tin-foil-hat talk, considering that Windows itself is composed almost exclusively of native code and that the existence of M is purely speculation.

• User profile image
    littleguru

JoshRoss said:
    Shining Arcanine said:
    *snip*
    Now that is some tin-foil-hat talk, considering that Windows itself is composed almost exclusively of native code and that the existence of M is purely speculation.
    I don't know how much I can believe in this article. Especially after having read the tags underneath Wink

• User profile image
    littleguru

JoshRoss said:
    Shining Arcanine said:
    *snip*
    I don't know how much I can believe in this article. Especially after having read the tags underneath Wink

• User profile image
    JoshRoss

littleguru said:
    JoshRoss said:
    *snip*
    It's kind of funny how a stupid blog post can make the front page of slashdot.  I wonder what I could get up there.  Maybe I could do an alien autopsy with BillG and Jerry.  I wanted to see more of them.

• User profile image
    Ray7

littleguru said:
    JoshRoss said:
    *snip*
    Yes, I missed those when I first read it. I think that says enough about his reliability right there; even more than the fact that he hasn't cited a single source for his 'foaming at the mouth' ranting.

• User profile image
    Ray7

Shining Arcanine said:
    The Article said:
    *snip*
    This is a language for writing other languages; how would they go about replacing C/C++ with it?

• User profile image
    Ray7

JoshRoss said:
    littleguru said:
    *snip*
    It's kind of funny how a stupid blog post can make the front page of slashdot.  I wonder what I could get up there.  Maybe I could do an alien autopsy with BillG and Jerry.  I wanted to see more of them.
    Well, if during the alien autopsy, you just yelled out something like:

'I'm dicing this alien because Microsoft is evil!'

then I'm pretty sure that would do the trick.

• User profile image
    tfraser

I can't speak for the legitimacy of the blog post that Slashdot cites, but SD Times has an article about this new language that seems much more genuine.

• User profile image
    turrican

JoshRoss said:
    littleguru said:
    *snip*
    What makes you think Slashdot is a credible news source? *lol* , it's the FOX NEWS of IT world. WELL BALANCED. whhahhaa...

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

Ray7 said:
    Shining Arcanine said:
    *snip*
    This is a language for writing other languages; how would they go about replacing C/C++ with it?

Perhaps you need to read the entire quote to understand why I was terrified when I read that article.

The Article said:
    Time will only tell how many will actually use the language outright before Microsoft finds a way to force programmers to use it, most likely by dropping support for some features in all languages except M to promote its usage. For now it appears that the only “non-visual” C/C++ code encouraged for usage with Windows by Microsoft is in fact Windows itself, given the fact that Microsoft’s programmers are on Microsoft’s payroll. But if all newbie programmers learn these new languages, who will manage the billions of lines of C and C++ we currently use in the future, unless it is implied to be completely be rewritten? I’m sure the folks from the original Bell labs team would be interested in the answer to these questions as well.

If they remove support for some features in all languages except M and C/C++ become legacy code because everyone learns M, as the article implies, then Microsoft would in effect, have tried (and suceeded) in killing C/C++.

Edit: It seems there is a bug preventing the quote tags from being properly parsed. I am not sure if I caused this by using the wrong syntax or if the fact that I replied to Ray7 had something to do it with it.

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

Shining Arcanine said:
    Ray7 said:
    *snip*

If they remove support for some features in all languages except M and C/C++ become legacy code because everyone learns M, as the article implies, then Microsoft would in effect, have tried (and suceeded) in killing C/C++.

Edit: It seems there is a bug preventing the quote tags from being properly parsed. I am not sure if I caused this by using the wrong syntax or if the fact that I replied to Ray7 had something to do it with it.
    This is all paranoia. C++ is a bigger business than Microsoft, and so if Microsoft tried to prevent developers from working in C++ it would damage their platform massively. In a fight between Microsoft and C++, Microsoft would lose - and besides, Microsoft has always been in the business of creating developer tools, publishing developer guidelines and enabling developers to develop for Microsoft platforms, which is arguably why their Windows platform is the most popular platform currently in existance. If Microsoft were to change tack entirely and start making their guidelines compusory, taking languages away or forcing "the Microsoft way" on developers, lots of developers would move to non-Microsoft platforms, which would significantly damage the Windows Platform.

When Windows forms a third of the Microsoft revenue, Microsoft would certainly never decide to "kill" C or C++ for the developers on their platform. At the very worst case scenario Microsoft would provide an emulation layer that would translate the binary executables generated by C/C++ to work on their system, but C/C++ as languages won't be going anywhere anytime soon. They were around in 1970 - before Microsoft started and C++ is still the language of choice for a huge fraction of the development community.

• User profile image
    Minh

Shining Arcanine said:
    The Article said:
    *snip*
    And if MS forces all developers to be vegetarians, then god help us all. Cuz I love my steaks.

• User profile image
    LiquidBoy

Shining Arcanine said:
    The Article said:
    *snip*

Lets just wait to see what is announced OFFICIALLY at PDC.

• User profile image
    joechung

The M doesn't stand for Microsoft.  Other than that, I have no idea what M is about.

• User profile image
    Thomas​Scheidegger

The first Microsoft blog about M and Quadrant,
    by Steven Martin, Robert Wahbe:
    Countdown to Oslo: Introducing "M" and "Quadrant"

• User profile image
    Dexter

joechung said:
    The M doesn't stand for Microsoft.  Other than that, I have no idea what M is about.
    I bet that M stands for "Modelling". And I bet that it has nothing to do with "killing" C/C++ Smiley.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.