Coffeehouse Thread

13 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Old Windows 95 Shooter

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Dbzruler72

My brother, sister, & I were reflecting on the old days when we used to play with the games that came with Windows 95, so I went on a hunt to download as many of the games as I could remember.  I've been quite successful, except for one particular game we want the most.

First of all, one controlled a flying ship that could shoot other aircraft in a 3D environment.  I remember being able to switch views to the cockpit, & I distinctly remember shooting at giant brown stone sphinxes.  When flying into an ocean below, the ship would crash.

That's about all the details I can remember.  If anyone recalls the name of the game (or even a portion of the name), that'd help a bunch.

• User profile image
    Minh

Do you happen to sell said game? Wink

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

Most of these kind of posts seems to remember the game "coming with" Windows 95.

FWIW, IIRC, and AFAIK, chances are that Windows 95 didn't "come with" the game.  Maybe the OEM preloaded it. Maybe your buddy that built the machine "preloaded" it with a bunch of games he got off some BBS or even the interweb.

I still think this is all some SEO scheme for some abandonwarez site Smiley

PS: Was it Fury3?

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

DCMonkey said:
    Most of these kind of posts seems to remember the game "coming with" Windows 95.

FWIW, IIRC, and AFAIK, chances are that Windows 95 didn't "come with" the game.  Maybe the OEM preloaded it. Maybe your buddy that built the machine "preloaded" it with a bunch of games he got off some BBS or even the interweb.

I'm guessing that these people got a computer with Windows 95, and the game was actually included with the computer. In those days, OEMs bundling games was not unusual, at least not in the Netherlands.

• User profile image
    Bas

DCMonkey said:

I noticed that too. It's like some sort of magical barrier, where Windows 95 means "It was a long time ago." Even 1992 Jungle of Doom was 'for' Windows 95 once.

• User profile image
    spivonious

Sounds like Fury3 to me.

• User profile image
    XaeroVincent

spivonious said:
    Sounds like Fury3 to me.
    I have the Fury 3 demo that came on a Windows 95 Game Sampler CD.

It still worked in XP last I tried.

• User profile image
    spivonious

XaeroVincent said:
    spivonious said:
    *snip*
    I have the Fury 3 demo that came on a Windows 95 Game Sampler CD.

It still worked in XP last I tried.

I had the full game Tongue Out

I don't remember getting it to work on XP, though I could be wrong.  I don't have it anymore.

• User profile image
    Koogle

funny just looking at dbz.. avatar reminds me of dungeon keeper.. damn that game rocked.. think I might have to go dig that game out

• User profile image
    W3bbo

spivonious said:
    XaeroVincent said:
    *snip*

I had the full game Tongue Out

I don't remember getting it to work on XP, though I could be wrong.  I don't have it anymore.

The game is Fury3, and you're thinking of the Sebek level.

Fury3 and the sequel Hellbender work fine on Windows XP. Those games were developed without any API hacks so they'll work on any Win32 implementation.

Unlike some games, like MechWarrior 2: Windows 95 Edition which actually only works on Windows 95 thanks to some serious misappropriation of Win32.

I read on DropshipCommand that some guy used WinDbg to create a patch that worked around the bugs in MW2 on XP, I don't know where he took it though.

• User profile image
    Dovella

See here in freegames

• User profile image
    Dbzruler72

Dovella said:
    See here in freegames

It was Fury3.  The moment I saw that name, I knew it.  When the music started playing, it took me back to my pre-elementary years.  Thanks a lot everyone.  Works with XP; don't know about Vista.

• User profile image
    jonathansam​pson

Dbzruler72 said:
    Dovella said:
    *snip*

It was Fury3.  The moment I saw that name, I knew it.  When the music started playing, it took me back to my pre-elementary years.  Thanks a lot everyone.  Works with XP; don't know about Vista.

Only one game really takes me back, Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2. I still have an original copy on my shelf beside me, in the plastic - I love it that much Smiley It was the first game I ever played on a computer - well, unless you count Gizmos and Gadgets while I was in 7th grade.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.