Coffeehouse Thread

22 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

The Programming IQ Test

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    tfraser

I found this semi-humorous, semi-serious IQ test for developers and thought it was quite neat and worthy of a mention here.

Some questions have obvious answers but there's also a few that could stump you (or at least stumped me). Oddly, the joke questions were harder than the technical ones.

I scored 65 (out of 100), though I should add that I intentionally sacrificed some points at Question 10 (you'll understand when you get there). If you take the test then post your results so all the Niners can see.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

I got 80. I also got frustrated by the long loading time of each question.

EDIT: And I object to calling a knowledge quiz an IQ test; IQ has nothing to do with knowledge. Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

Meh, I thought I'd see right answers when finished with the quiz.. 

got 70..

EDIT: found it Smiley

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

RoyalSchrubber said:
    Meh, I thought I'd see right answers when finished with the quiz.. 

got 70..

EDIT: found it Smiley
    well excuse me for not knowing what beverage contains the most sugar and caffeine Tongue Out

EDIT: I got 60 points, damn that funny questions like the beverage one

• User profile image
    jonathansam​pson

Meh, 35. I'm a confined developer, knowing very little about the history of languages, the authors of those languages, or the creators of camelCase etc. Anybody suggest a book that would cover all of this stuff? Smiley

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Ion Todirel said:
    RoyalSchrubber said:
    *snip*
    well excuse me for not knowing what beverage contains the most sugar and caffeine Tongue Out

EDIT: I got 60 points, damn that funny questions like the beverage one
    I answered that one correctly simply by using the reasoning that it was most likely to be the least obvious one (the orange drink).

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Sven Groot said:
    I got 80. I also got frustrated by the long loading time of each question.

EDIT: And I object to calling a knowledge quiz an IQ test; IQ has nothing to do with knowledge. Tongue Out
    65 here, I got the trick questions wrong. Then there were some questions that had multiple right answers:

For instance the P=NP one, both "I don't know" and "Sometimes" are acceptable answers. Ditto with Javascript, since (part of) its syntax is derived from Java, but the rest is marketing.

I also felt I got the drinks questions wrong too.

...unless someone wants to correct me?

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

W3bbo said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*
    65 here, I got the trick questions wrong. Then there were some questions that had multiple right answers:

For instance the P=NP one, both "I don't know" and "Sometimes" are acceptable answers. Ditto with Javascript, since (part of) its syntax is derived from Java, but the rest is marketing.

"Sometimes" is certainly wrong for the question is "P = NP". The answer is either Yes or No, but it hasn't been proved which. It certainly isn't sometimes Yes or sometimes No.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

W3bbo said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*

The P=NP thing is completely unknown. If you think you any of the other answers is correct, and can prove it, you've got a Turing award waiting for you.

Javascript and Java don't have anything in common. Javascript was not derived from Java, it's syntax stems from the general C-like languages, which is what Java also comes from.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Sven Groot said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*
    The P=NP thing is completely unknown. If you think you any of the other answers is correct, and can prove it, you've got a Turing award waiting for you.

Javascript and Java don't have anything in common. Javascript was not derived from Java, it's syntax stems from the general C-like languages, which is what Java also comes from.
    Hmm, 75.
    I feel cheated that the drink question didn't involve tea, though.

And the N= NP question I answewde truthfully:  I have no idea what either of them means (and I don't really care, come to that).

Herbie

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Dr Herbie said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*
    Hmm, 75.

And the N= NP question I answewde truthfully:  I have no idea what either of them means (and I don't really care, come to that).

Herbie

Tea doesn't contain a whole lot of caffeine though (tea leaves contain a lot of caffeine, more than coffee, but a cup of tea contains less caffeine than a cup of coffee), and only as much sugar as you yourself put in it. Smiley

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

Sven Groot said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

yeah, reminds me of the quote: "Java is to JavaScript what Car is to Carpet" Tongue Out

• User profile image
    ScottWelker

65 Sad
    Man some of that was obscure. Fun though.

• User profile image
    magicalclick

I got dummy face, score 45. Sad
    If it is about Xbox games, I can score at least 90, LOL.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Ion Todirel

magicalclick said:
    I got dummy face, score 45. Sad
    If it is about Xbox games, I can score at least 90, LOL.

really, say then who is the best friend of Master Chief, it's hair and eyes color Tongue Out

• User profile image
    joechung

That's weird.  The page said that I scored an 80, but when I read the answer key afterwards, I figured out that the test should have given me an 85.

• User profile image
    obiwankenobi

While waiting here for the next questions to load it's quite interesting to read which ones made you gonna fall ,-)
    So when all questions are load and finished I hope I have at least a score as you.

• User profile image
    spivonious

I missed a lot of the historical ones, since I started programming in 98.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.