Coffeehouse Thread

36 posts

Operating Systems in 50 years.

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    turrican

Imagine you wake up, it's 50 years from now... How do you think the Operating Systems will be by then?

• User profile image
    turrican

I think the Operating System till be some sort of A.I. with self healing mechanism.

• User profile image
    Bas

Unfortunately we won't know what it's like because she'll have killed us all.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Operating Systems haven't been around 50 years (well... depending on your definition of "OS").

I predict Windows will somehow retain the same hybrid-kernel for backwards compatibility reasons, as will Linux. I see the rise of microkernel designs thanks to modern multicore hardware that handle them better.

More and more parts of the OS will run in userland and hypervisors will become the norm. I see, eventually (within 50 years) each process running in its own virtualised system.

And then GladDOS comes and kills us all with a neuraltoxin, as Bas accuratley predicts.

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

W3bbo said:
    Operating Systems haven't been around 50 years (well... depending on your definition of "OS").

I predict Windows will somehow retain the same hybrid-kernel for backwards compatibility reasons, as will Linux. I see the rise of microkernel designs thanks to modern multicore hardware that handle them better.

More and more parts of the OS will run in userland and hypervisors will become the norm. I see, eventually (within 50 years) each process running in its own virtualised system.

And then GladDOS comes and kills us all with a neuraltoxin, as Bas accuratley predicts.
    "accuratley"

There are few words more ironic than this.

• User profile image
    DarrenP

Thats a loaded question. Personally, we're seeing advancements faster than ever before. With the progress thats being made now in OS that are coming out, how they look and feel, the sky is the limit really for OS of the future. I definitely don't see us needing keyboards or even a mouse, everything should be touch screen and voice command, resolution and detail should be immensely better in terms of visuals.

It's really hard to picture because so many of the advancements made in OS recently have been some outside the box discoveries and progressions, there will probably be a lot more of those in the coming 10 or 20 years.

• User profile image
    turrican

DarrenP said:
    Thats a loaded question. Personally, we're seeing advancements faster than ever before. With the progress thats being made now in OS that are coming out, how they look and feel, the sky is the limit really for OS of the future. I definitely don't see us needing keyboards or even a mouse, everything should be touch screen and voice command, resolution and detail should be immensely better in terms of visuals.

It's really hard to picture because so many of the advancements made in OS recently have been some outside the box discoveries and progressions, there will probably be a lot more of those in the coming 10 or 20 years.
    Although, I can't personally see myself using any kind of touchscreen for day to day use. Imagine having your hands up in air all the time, they would get tired. hm... ofcourse, it could also be some touchscreen on the table I guess. Maybe a mouse pad which is some kind of multi-touch where we could use all fingers to do stuff, perhaps 3D movements inside the OS gUI.

• User profile image
    Charles

turrican said:
    DarrenP said:
    *snip*
    Although, I can't personally see myself using any kind of touchscreen for day to day use. Imagine having your hands up in air all the time, they would get tired. hm... ofcourse, it could also be some touchscreen on the table I guess. Maybe a mouse pad which is some kind of multi-touch where we could use all fingers to do stuff, perhaps 3D movements inside the OS gUI.
    Operating Systems will become more like physiological systems (with homeostatic capabilities and "intelligence"). The advent of many-core will enable the development of truly smart operating systems that can learn, react and adapt to new knowledge, and in very simple ways, think about things and reason...

The future is really not that far away, actually...
    C

• User profile image
    Koogle

Charles said:
    turrican said:
    *snip*
    Operating Systems will become more like physiological systems (with homeostatic capabilities and "intelligence"). The advent of many-core will enable the development of truly smart operating systems that can learn, react and adapt to new knowledge, and in very simple ways, think about things and reason...

C
    really not that far? oh well let me know when we've reached the future Big Smile

I'm sure I'll be running my own OS... in my head, it will be brilliant.. maybe they'll be lots of brain upgrades to communicate all my wonderful ideas to other Brain OS users ...otherwise you'll all be incompatible.

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

turrican said:
    DarrenP said:
    *snip*
    Why is it so hard to imagine using a touchscreen all day and having your hands up in the air all the time? Maybe working behind a desk has made you a soft whiny baby Wink People working in factories perform that kind of labour daily and you don't hear them complain. And if you watch Minority Report, you can see you can get a manly muscular torso and strong arms and shoulders. Like mine Wink

• User profile image
    Bas

turrican said:
    DarrenP said:
    *snip*
    You already give the answer yourself, but I never understood why people always use that argument against touchscreens. Why would the screen be up in the air? I mean, artists found a solution to that years ago:

• User profile image
    vesuvius

I see them [computers] as increasing the need for nuclear power no end.

After the Second World War, your average home still relied on coal for heating and cooking. Apart from that, unless you were wealthy and had television, there were very few electronic devices around the house. Now, in the average home there are several computers, mobile phones, blu-ray/DVD players, microwaves etc.

The elephant in the room after concurrency, is where on earth we get the power to provide for a computer with 1000 cores? Yes, you will always have some great Citizens, that will have a windmill that powers their computer, but there is a severe price to pay for all this processing power, I'm not sure people quite realise it yet!

again I find Aesop's Fables appropriate;

A number of Flies were attracted to a jar of honey which had been overturned in a housekeeper's room, and placing their feet in it, ate greedily. Their feet, however, became so smeared with the honey that they could not use their wings, nor release themselves, and were suffocated. Just as they were expiring, they exclaimed, "O foolish creatures that we are, for the sake of a little pleasure we have destroyed ourselves."

• User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

W3bbo said:

"I see the rise of microkernel designs thanks to modern multicore hardware that handle them better."
    Are there any indications that with more cores microkernels will run more efficiently than monolithic kernels with good threaded design? Though I agree, microkernels should replace monolithic kernels, if only to make our computers more stable.

"see, eventually (within 50 years) each process running in its own virtualised system."
    They do run even now, there is virtualised memory, the only problem is win32 api that isn't keeping jail tight enough - but there are systems that can truly virtualize environment around processes - like Freebsd jails and Solaris 10 Containers/Zones.

• User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

Charles said:
    turrican said:
    *snip*

C
    "The future is really not that far away, actually..."

True, it's only 1577880000 seconds away Tongue Out

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

The server side OS we won't care about (except out of intellectual curiosity). It will be some massively parallelized, dsitributed evolution of the cloud OS stuff MS is doing now, available from them and from Apple (via its purchase of Google) in mostly-compatible versions.  It will be presented to the dev as a big semi-structured, fully indexed WinFS-esque store of data, services, high level UI components, people, devices and relationships that  programmers can declaritively or visually tie together.

All client devices will effectively be solid state smart thin clients with at least the processing power of today's desktops and a low level firmware OS. The entire user environment (or variations for different form factors) will come from the cloud and will securely run on any client device. Communication with the cloud will be via the ubiquitous XG wireless data network.

• User profile image
    jamie

Bas said:

Unfortunately we won't know what it's like because she'll have killed us all.
    haha

• User profile image
    The_Saint

Operating systems will just be taken for granted, just like electricity, the telephone, the railways and cars. They will be self-healing to a greater or lesser extent, with simple user interaction and interfaces. They may even be 'baked-in' to the hardware of the day, or 'embedded everything', if you will.

Remember as coders, you create other peoples' realities and experiences, what you decide an OS to be, then it will be so. I don't think the 'rise of the machines' will be anything to worry about. Just look at what they were predicting in the fifties, home cleaning robots, you know the sort of thing I mean.

I disagree with Charles on the 'intelligence' issue. Yes an OS could be classed as an intelligent implementation by the coding team, but it will not be intelligent per se. It will give users a perception of intelligence. It will not be able to make a meaningful relationship between ice cream and strawberries for example, because it will never have the 'experience' of ice cream and strawberries.

Yes, many-core and parallel computing may bring more 'grunt' to the show, but it will never become the compelling experience that is human interaction. But, bit by bit (excuse the pun!), day by day it will be improved.

• User profile image
    Bass

I am not sure how they will look like, but I know they will all be prefixed with "GNU". GNU/Windows anyone?

/me runs away

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.