Coffeehouse Thread

38 posts

If I had Bill's job I would....

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • dcw

1. Develop a .net runtime for linux, solaris, unix, mac, and all those other kooky operating systems that guys with beards wearing brown suits like.

2. give said runtime away for free.

3. watch in delight as the developers all switch to c# from perl,php, java and c.

• Tensor

Willy Duitt wrote:
    Rossj wrote: If I had Bill's job the first three things I would do are ... any ideas?

Refuse to sell or support my product in countries whom attempt to tell me how to run my business or what my products should or should not include...
    Require that consumers interested in purchasing my products pass an aptitude test to iensure they are intelligent enough to use these products safely...
    IEntice Linux and/or alternative browser zealots into the fold, relegate them to some menial project only to chew them up and spit them out after their zealotry has lost its shine... In other words, give the haters a reason to hate...

.....Willy

rename IE to II?

Seriously though - the US has laws on how to run a business. So stop selling there?

My suggestions

Have a policy to fire anyone whos answer to every question in the last month was "Yes". Maybe he has this anyway.

Quit and spend more time with wife and kids as I have more money than I could ever give away never mind spend.

• Rossj

I realise that my first choice is controversial so I'll give two sets and you can ignore the first Smiley

{Controversial}
    1. Fire MSNFound marketers
    2. Fire Ballmer
    3. Quit
    {/Controversial}

{Non-Controversial}
    1. Split the company up
    2.  Trim down middle management.
    3.  Pressure MSR to produce more research relevant to what we (MS) want to do today, not in 20 years.
    {/Non-Controversial}

• dentaku

- Look towards Canada for help in making the company evolve quicker. All these "lawsuit happy" states are slowing down Microsoft's invoation. They can't seem to do ANYTHING without getting into a legal battle with someone. The whole US legal system is terribly unfair to MS and is one of the many things that makes the United States so easy to mock. It's like the national sport or someting.

- Hire the best graphic/GUI designers to make sure that the next OS interface will be infinitely configurable so that everyone can make their computer look the way they want. I know that "skinning" looks like it's just eye candy and doesn't have anything to do with the stability of a product, but it's what the average user looks at all day and the opinion of the average user is what counts when it comes to promoting a new product through simple "word of mouth".

- Almost give away the OS (be it the desktop OS or Media Center) to any OEM who can make noiseless, low power(wattage), high power(CPU/GPU speed) PCs that are suitable for living room use. Quiet PCs are the way to go. Media Center is great so the more you can entice hadware manufacturers to make great low cost quiet PC the better it will be for Microsoft's image.
    I don't think Bill knows or cares enough about his company's image.

Here's my reasoning for this:
    Face it people, the linux zealots are chipping away at the brains of university students (which makes sense because they have no money) and the Mac snobs are doing their best religious cult impersonation and doing what they've always done, which is getting at them young (who in turn brainwash their parents into spending huge amounts of money for every plastic and titanium toy apple puts out).
    MS doesn't make computers so they're at the mercy of all the different hardware manufacturers out there wether they're good or bad. Often, bad hardware or bad drivers/software are blamed on MS even when they have noting to do with it and the only thing that didn't crash on their computer is the OS (XP has be rock stable for me since 2001).
    They need to partner with hardware manufacturers and help push out inovative ideas in PC design even more than they already are. Apple can give away OSx with the Mac Mini because they sell both the hardware and the software. If a PC manufacturer wants to compete in the same market they will need the OS the be almost free also.

I think his ego might get hurt to hear this, but products that don't have the word Microsoft in them are better accepted by the public. The XBOX is popular and you never hear people calling it the Microsoft XBOX, it's just an XBOX.
    MSN (mostly the Messenger) is very popluar with kids and guess what, almost none of them ever think that the M in MSN stands for Microsoft.
    Media Center needs to be marketed the same way, as a standalone product, not another MS OS.
    I don't think he GETS the image problem MS has (that I don't think they deserve).

• W3bbo

If I had Bill's job...

....And salary with life savings:
    I'd spend $40bn in one go to solve world poverty
    I'd bribe everyone in the Holy Land to leave it, then get the UN to take over it as "Neutral Ground"
    I'd oversee Windows development and losen "integration" and make the OS completely modular (including the evil E)
    ...And I'd make regular contributions to the Mozilla Foundation and use Gecko as IE's rendering engine.

'nuff said Smiley

• Minh

1) Create a Software Common License that offer up all of MS software patents to this license -- to anyone who also subscribes to the Software Common License.
    2) Spend the rest of my life enjoying the affection and adoration of men, women, and children.
    3) Tell Paul Allen to hurry up on that spaceship thing. And Paul, don't forget the lasers.

• W3bbo

Another thing I'd do...

I'd make all of Microsoft sign an affidavit that says that Microsoft would never sue an open-source foundation or any companies using open-source software if that software uses any "patents" owned by Microsoft or it's subcontractors.

Oh, and I'd hire Linus too

...And start a new OS.... all over again, (Well, maybe start where NT4.0 SP2 left off).... Stable Windows with no Internet Explorer Smiley

• Sven Groot

Am I going crazy, or did my replies in this thread (about EA) just disappear?

• dcw

Sven Groot wrote:
    Am I going crazy, or did my replies in this thread (about EA) just disappear?

Yeah I must be crazy too, because I'm sure I read them last night.

Admins, I am assuming you removed some posts due to the course language of a certain user, but is there a reason why we can't talk about EA? Is Microsoft really about to buy them up? ;p

• harumscarum

1) make the internet free
    2) improve the education/technology in schools in the poorer regions of the US
    3) work on creating the new "thing"

edit: I went back and read the posts. Splitting up MS is something I would like to see.

• Sven Groot

dcw wrote:
    Sven Groot wrote: Am I going crazy, or did my replies in this thread (about EA) just disappear?

Yeah I must be crazy too, because I'm sure I read them last night.

Admins, I am assuming you removed some posts due to the course language of a certain user, but is there a reason why we can't talk about EA? Is Microsoft really about to buy them up? ;p

Maybe EA bought Microsoft? Now there's a scary thought!

• Tensor

Sven Groot wrote:
    Maybe EA bought Microsoft? Now there's a scary thought!

If IE bought Microsoft:

Every year a new version of the OS, pretty much exactly the same as last years, but with more commentry.

• Sven Groot

Tensor wrote:
    Sven Groot wrote: EA

IE

Freudian slip?

• Tensor

LOL yeah I guess so Big Smile

• bantar76

>If I had Bill's job I would....

1) Hire myself

2) Integrate IE into XBox so I can pause, download my
    cheats, FAQs, and hints, then resume.

3) Chuck the console before the wires burst into flames and license the XBox emulator for PC.

4) Develop the integrated Cell-Taser phone...

Cheers

• Brett​Nordquist

<if I had Bill's job......>

1. Go into an Apple store and see what it's like to be around customers (NOT employees) who are so passionate about a brand and products.

2. Sit down with dozens of regular (not techies or pros) Windows users in an attempt to understand the everyday hassles they must endure to run a product my company created. Run Anti-spyware on their machine and watch what it finds.

3. Find the person that decided upon the name "Windows XP Reduced Media Edition" and fire them on the spot.

And one more. #4-I'd start a blog

• harumscarum

BrettNordquist wrote:
    <if I had Bill's job......>

1. Go into an Apple store and see what it's like to be around customers (NOT employees) who are so passionate about a brand and products.

2. Sit down with dozens of regular (not techies or pros) Windows users in an attempt to understand the everyday hassles they must endure to run a product my company created. Run Anti-spyware on their machine and watch what it finds.

3. Find the person that decided upon the name "Windows XP Reduced Media Edition" and fire them on the spot.

And one more. #4-I'd start a blog

To your #1- you do not think that MS has customers that are passionate about the brand and products?

If Bill started a blog I would feel sorry for whatever server they decided to feed it from.

• Brett​Nordquist

>To your #1- you do not think that MS has customers that are passionate >about the brand and products?

>If Bill started a blog I would feel sorry for whatever server they decided to >feed it from

Yes, I think they do for Xbox and Halo 2, but not for the bulk of their products. Or at least not nearly to the extent that I saw last weekend while visiting an Apple store in Vegas and seeing people lined up 15 deep at the counter buying iPods and Powerbooks.

Wouldn't Microsoft have the resources to make a blog happen for Gates? I'd offer to run it off mine but it's running Linux and Apache. Smiley

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.