Coffeehouse Thread

72 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Updated Microsoft .Net Logo sweetness

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Zeo

Check out the updated .NET logo:

New .NET logo!

PDC is going to be rockin!

• User profile image
    CKurt

Nice ! The previews one was getting outdated!

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

That really is cool.

I wish Microsoft would rethink some of their other new logos, like for Silverlight, which is an amorphous animating blob.

• User profile image
    Bass

I hate to be contrary, but it looks pretty stupid to me. Just use a frecken basketball net for the logo and be done with it already/

• User profile image
    joechung

Bass said:
    I hate to be contrary, but it looks pretty stupid to me. Just use a frecken basketball net for the logo and be done with it already/

Why a basketball net?

• User profile image
    Cyonix

I really like it, looks very fresh

• User profile image
    Bass

joechung said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*

Why a basketball net?

I like basketball.

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

Bass said:
    joechung said:
    *snip*
    I like basketball.
    Bass,

which do you like more, basketball nets or butterfly nets

• User profile image
    tfraser

brian.shapiro said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*
    Bass,

Or fishing nets?

Edit 1: The new .NET logo looks nice. I'd begun to think that they had forgotten about the old one.

• User profile image
    Bass

brian.shapiro said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*
    Bass,

I think a basketball net better describes .NET

Quick marketing people, change the logo to basketball net before any noticed you designed yet another squiggly line logo.

• User profile image
    Bass

tfraser said:
    brian.shapiro said:
    *snip*
    Or fishing nets?

Edit 1: The new .NET logo looks nice. I'd begun to think that they had forgotten about the old one.
    What do fishing nets say? I'm a PC and I fish?

The basketball net is clearly better. Basketball is a competition and .NET helps you rise above your competition. Plus basketball nets go against the typical stereotype that [.NET] developers are fat slobs who play no sports. No, using .NET means you are a jock now. And jocks get all the ladies.

All this logo tells me is "Photoshop design intern", or "$19.95 your logo made while you shop". Now a basketball net, that would be special.

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

Bass said:
    tfraser said:
    *snip*
    What do fishing nets say? I'm a PC and I fish?

The basketball net is clearly better. Basketball is a competition and .NET helps you rise above your competition. Plus basketball nets go against the typical stereotype that [.NET] developers are fat slobs who play no sports. No, using .NET means you are a jock now. And jocks get all the ladies.

All this logo tells me is "Photoshop design intern", or "$19.95 your logo made while you shop". Now a basketball net, that would be special.
    I don't think nets of any kind have anything to do with .NET .

Its hard to come up with a logo for it, so they come up with something abstract that they feel fits. What does the Visual Studio logo represent?--a bunch of segments linked together in a moebius, I think when they designed that they thought it represented how the development platform was a for a bunch of solutions working together into one design.

The new .NET logo sort of looks like a thread (or ribbon) being threaded, and I think it kind of fits the point also.

• User profile image
    Rowan

It seems blurry... and reminds me of a leaf...

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Rowan said:
    It seems blurry... and reminds me of a leaf...
    Note how it's shaped like the letter "N".

I have no complaints with the logo, but I think it could be beefed up a bit. I think the composition of the logo is too simple. Compare with the new Photoshop logo.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

Bass said:
    well I'm with you here, I prefer the old one, although a logo doesn't mean anything especially if it's .NET

• User profile image
    littleguru

Nice one. The other one was, indeed, getting old Smiley

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Ion Todirel said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*
    well I'm with you here, I prefer the old one, although a logo doesn't mean anything especially if it's .NET
    They should have changed the name to go with the logo, ".NET" is still hard to search for on Google.

• User profile image
    vicip

New logo is fresh and is more aligned with products and services like Silverlight and Live Mesh. And there is also vertical variant of logo: http://www.uxpassion.com/2008/10/new-microsoft-net-logo-and-branding/

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.