Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Zeo

Check out the updated .NET logo:

New .NET logo!

PDC is going to be rockin!

• User profile image
    CKurt

Nice ! The previews one was getting outdated!

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

That really is cool.

I wish Microsoft would rethink some of their other new logos, like for Silverlight, which is an amorphous animating blob.

• User profile image
    Bass

I hate to be contrary, but it looks pretty stupid to me. Just use a frecken basketball net for the logo and be done with it already/

• User profile image
    joechung

Bass said:
    I hate to be contrary, but it looks pretty stupid to me. Just use a frecken basketball net for the logo and be done with it already/

Why a basketball net?

• User profile image
    Cyonix

I really like it, looks very fresh

• User profile image
    Bass

joechung said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*

Why a basketball net?

I like basketball.

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

Bass said:
    joechung said:
    *snip*
    I like basketball.
    Bass,

which do you like more, basketball nets or butterfly nets

• User profile image
    tfraser

brian.shapiro said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*
    Bass,

Or fishing nets?

Edit 1: The new .NET logo looks nice. I'd begun to think that they had forgotten about the old one.

• User profile image
    Bass

brian.shapiro said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*
    Bass,

I think a basketball net better describes .NET

Quick marketing people, change the logo to basketball net before any noticed you designed yet another squiggly line logo.

• User profile image
    Bass

tfraser said:
    brian.shapiro said:
    *snip*
    Or fishing nets?

Edit 1: The new .NET logo looks nice. I'd begun to think that they had forgotten about the old one.
    What do fishing nets say? I'm a PC and I fish?

The basketball net is clearly better. Basketball is a competition and .NET helps you rise above your competition. Plus basketball nets go against the typical stereotype that [.NET] developers are fat slobs who play no sports. No, using .NET means you are a jock now. And jocks get all the ladies.

All this logo tells me is "Photoshop design intern", or "$19.95 your logo made while you shop". Now a basketball net, that would be special.

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

Bass said:
    tfraser said:
    *snip*
    What do fishing nets say? I'm a PC and I fish?

The basketball net is clearly better. Basketball is a competition and .NET helps you rise above your competition. Plus basketball nets go against the typical stereotype that [.NET] developers are fat slobs who play no sports. No, using .NET means you are a jock now. And jocks get all the ladies.

All this logo tells me is "Photoshop design intern", or "$19.95 your logo made while you shop". Now a basketball net, that would be special.
    I don't think nets of any kind have anything to do with .NET .

Its hard to come up with a logo for it, so they come up with something abstract that they feel fits. What does the Visual Studio logo represent?--a bunch of segments linked together in a moebius, I think when they designed that they thought it represented how the development platform was a for a bunch of solutions working together into one design.

The new .NET logo sort of looks like a thread (or ribbon) being threaded, and I think it kind of fits the point also.

• User profile image
    Rowan

It seems blurry... and reminds me of a leaf...

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Rowan said:
    It seems blurry... and reminds me of a leaf...
    Note how it's shaped like the letter "N".

I have no complaints with the logo, but I think it could be beefed up a bit. I think the composition of the logo is too simple. Compare with the new Photoshop logo.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

Bass said:
    well I'm with you here, I prefer the old one, although a logo doesn't mean anything especially if it's .NET

• User profile image
    littleguru

Nice one. The other one was, indeed, getting old Smiley

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Ion Todirel said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*
    well I'm with you here, I prefer the old one, although a logo doesn't mean anything especially if it's .NET
    They should have changed the name to go with the logo, ".NET" is still hard to search for on Google.

• User profile image
    vicip

New logo is fresh and is more aligned with products and services like Silverlight and Live Mesh. And there is also vertical variant of logo: http://www.uxpassion.com/2008/10/new-microsoft-net-logo-and-branding/

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.