Coffeehouse Thread

43 posts

C# 4.0 and VB10. WOW

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    vesuvius

Just some bits and pieces, I'm sure a video is imminent, but the dynamic stuff has left my jaw on the floor. That is how far my jaw dropped.

• User profile image
    blowdart

Sod the dynamic bits. OPTIONAL PARAMETERS. DEFAULT VALUES.

FINALLY!

• User profile image
    Dexter
  • User profile image
    Bas

I'm not sure if I like the whole dynamic typing thing going on with C#. I left PHP so I was rid of all that crap.

The named parameters and default values are great, though. Now if only there was some way so pass a reference argument as a const.

• User profile image
    harlock123

It would seem that in 4.0 the main reason to still fall back to VB.Net for Com stuff might finally be removed.

It's about bloody time....

• User profile image
    vesuvius

blowdart said:

FINALLY!
    I must agree with you.

What I like the most is that it's almost a "why was this not done sooner" scenario. All the best .NET 3.0 things like object initialisers, automatic properties and extension methods, make you look at C++ and think, this language has been around since the late 70's, surely they could have made these improvements by now?

I do think that if you are learning C++/C# or VB, that having a getter and setter aids in understanding what is happening. Using automatic properties when learning is a bit like using a goto in that it makes it more difficult to understand what is happening. This may be just me, but I feel automatic properties should never be taught to a beginner.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

blowdart said:

FINALLY!
    I'm a bit amazed, frankly. Didn't they say not having that stuff in C# was a conscious design decision?

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

is it only me or that optional parameters sample is written wrong? overall interesting, waiting for more information on the subject

• User profile image
    AndyC

Sven Groot said:
    blowdart said:
    *snip*
    I'm a bit amazed, frankly. Didn't they say not having that stuff in C# was a conscious design decision?
    I suspect the reality that people aren't going to produce a complete set of PIAs has finally sunk in. Especially given that there are some COM APIs that simply don't map well onto the rigid C# structure.

Easy COM without VB! Surely a cause for a party. Smiley

• User profile image
    vesuvius

Ion Todirel said:
    is it only me or that optional parameters sample is written wrong? overall interesting, waiting for more information on the subject
    Dexter's link has the 11 page word doc with everything in it. Any information or announcements will be based on that document.

• User profile image
    spivonious

So now the two languages really are identical?

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

vesuvius said:
    Ion Todirel said:
    *snip*
    Dexter's link has the 11 page word doc with everything in it. Any information or announcements will be based on that document.

thanks

• User profile image
    stevo_

Ion Todirel said:
    vesuvius said:
    *snip*
    thanks
    Co and contra variance in generics? hmm

The dynamics I'd seen hinted awhile back at jaoo, he was giving examples of you calling code has to be 'aware' of how to call 'interop' methods, where as IDynamicObject and MetaObject allow the compiler to transform a standard clr looking method call into a call to the meta object which gets handled internally.. it seems like a clever way to do this, the extensibility of this will be great.

• User profile image
    stevo_

Also, vs2010 - is this really going to be released late 2009 or early 2010? or sooner? seems like a long time to wait for c# 4..

• User profile image
    stevo_

Actually the variance thing looks pretty sound, they kept it simple by having type params marked as outward / inward only.. allowing the compiler to guarentee type safety isn't compromized by specific calls.

• User profile image
    vesuvius

stevo_ said:
    Also, vs2010 - is this really going to be released late 2009 or early 2010? or sooner? seems like a long time to wait for c# 4..
    Office 2007 and Vista were released 2006. Visual Studio 2008 was released 2007.

I think it's a case of choosing the year that business starts to shift to the new version. Most places are starting to shift to VS 2008 now.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

vesuvius said:
    stevo_ said:
    *snip*
    Office 2007 and Vista were released 2006. Visual Studio 2008 was released 2007.

I think it's a case of choosing the year that business starts to shift to the new version. Most places are starting to shift to VS 2008 now.
    Visual Studio 2005 was released in late 2005.

• User profile image
    spivonious

stevo_ said:
    I predict that VS2010 will be released shortly after Windows 7 is released.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.