Coffeehouse Thread

13 posts

VS2010 CTP VHD

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    AndyC

Because a few people were looking and I've not seen anyone link to it yet:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=922B4655-93D0-4476-BDA4-94CF5F8D4814&displaylang=en

Looking pretty funky.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Does it already have the complete WPF UI?

• User profile image
    stevo_

ZippyV said:
    Does it already have the complete WPF UI?
    No, I don't think its an entire wpf ui, I could be wrong but I think its just the designer/text area thats wpf powered.. it is wpf today, but its very rough.. I had a go with some of the language features like co an contra variance and dynamic types, and they all seemed to work perfectly.

Note that this is a pretty beefy virtual install, 8gig download and the virtual system is windows 2008 standard with vs08, vs2010 team edition installed - the unpacked 8gig download ends up around 24-25gig.. and is preconfigured to request a gig of ram from the host OS.. so uh yea.

• User profile image
    sushovande

stevo_ said:
    ZippyV said:
    *snip*
    No, I don't think its an entire wpf ui, I could be wrong but I think its just the designer/text area thats wpf powered.. it is wpf today, but its very rough.. I had a go with some of the language features like co an contra variance and dynamic types, and they all seemed to work perfectly.

Note that this is a pretty beefy virtual install, 8gig download and the virtual system is windows 2008 standard with vs08, vs2010 team edition installed - the unpacked 8gig download ends up around 24-25gig.. and is preconfigured to request a gig of ram from the host OS.. so uh yea.
    Yeah, but why does the download page say the minimum space required was 75GB? I downloaded 6 of the 11 parts and noticed that and my heart nearly stopped. Thankfully I was able to open the archive part 1 with 7-zip and confirm that it only needs 23 gig.

As for VS2010 -  I dont like wpf editor Sad . Wayy too slow. In VS2008 the CTRL+C with nothing selected copies the whole line - I _love_ that feature. It seems to have dissapeared into nothingness... Why devdiv, why?

• User profile image
    stevo_

sushovande said:
    stevo_ said:
    *snip*
    Yeah, but why does the download page say the minimum space required was 75GB? I downloaded 6 of the 11 parts and noticed that and my heart nearly stopped. Thankfully I was able to open the archive part 1 with 7-zip and confirm that it only needs 23 gig.

As for VS2010 -  I dont like wpf editor Sad . Wayy too slow. In VS2008 the CTRL+C with nothing selected copies the whole line - I _love_ that feature. It seems to have dissapeared into nothingness... Why devdiv, why?
    It will do, this is mega early, they'll certainly aim to keep the designer area as rapid and useful as it was before, but their additional goal is to make it richer for extensions to interact with.

• User profile image
    alexmac

stevo_ said:
    sushovande said:
    *snip*
    It will do, this is mega early, they'll certainly aim to keep the designer area as rapid and useful as it was before, but their additional goal is to make it richer for extensions to interact with.
    Hmm download's not working at the mo Sad
    https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/content/content.aspx?ContentID=9790

• User profile image
    ZippyV
  • User profile image
    ZippyV
  • User profile image
    Dexter

ZippyV said:
    ZippyV said:
    *snip*
    Forget it, they removed the downloads as well.

WTF?
    Yeah, they seem to have some problems with it, maybe 7 gigabytes was a bit too much for the servers? Smiley

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/content/content.aspx?ContentID=9790

• User profile image
    florindonot

sushovande said:
    stevo_ said:
    *snip*

managed code remains a disaster.  you can look at shape.

LINK:   shapeofidentity.com 

• User profile image
    jh71283

florindonot said:
    sushovande said:
    *snip*
    managed code remains a disaster.  you can look at shape.

LINK:   shapeofidentity.com 
    what?

• User profile image
    ZippyV

jh71283 said:
    florindonot said:
    *snip*
    what?
    snothing

• User profile image
    AndyC

stevo_ said:
    ZippyV said:
    *snip*

You can enable the full WPF UI with a reg key change (it's actually documented for one of the walkthroughs) but it's pretty unstable at the moment and so not worth doing except for curiosity's sake.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.