Coffeehouse Thread

14 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

CrashNot?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

After posting that thread about SlashDot's recent coverage of a proven fake screenshot of MAS detecting Firefox as a security liability, a number of you took time to critise SlashDot.

So I was thinking... why not start an MSDN version of SlashDot... I just thought up "CrashNot" during my lunch break, but it's a start.

The site could cover the latest in Microsoft and propriety software developments, and the occassional piece of interesting OSS news, essentially, an "anti-SlashDot"

....And we'd post credible entries Smiley

Comments?

• User profile image
    Tyler Brown

Sounds like an interresting premise. I'd be up for reading it.

• User profile image
    NeoTOM

Lock and load!

• User profile image
    dcw

W3bbo wrote:
    The site could cover the latest in Microsoft and propriety software developments, and the occassional piece of interesting OSS news, essentially, an "anti-SlashDot"

Actually, that's the reason why I started coming to Channel 9. I wanted to keep up with tech news but I was sick of the slashdot zealotry. I know c9's news system isn't quite as evolved, but it's a very good start.

And you guys do such a good job of disseminating anything of interest from them that I know I will never have to return again.

• User profile image
    Shaded

Sounds like a barn-burner of an idea.  I'd write for it.

However we have a unique opportunity to evangalize for Microsoft in an objective manner.  If we could generate attention don't you think Msoft would throw us some advertising dollars instead of all the other industry rags that pretend not to have an agenda?

(ZDnet, slashdot, etc)

I just checked netsol Crashnot.net is available.  I could host a preliminary site but as soon as traffic out runs my 768ksdsl line we gotta move.  (which I'm sure would be almost immediately.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

LOL!!! I was thinking the same exact thing this morning when I got up for my morning coffee. Smiley

Except my idea isn't totally to bash SlashDot. I was thinking more on the lines of educating the users that are in a sense "on the edge" between Windows and another OS due to noob and incredible comments.  Perhaps cut down alot to the home and business users, showing them what MS is all about and what you can do with Windows.

I'd be more than happy to help if you're actually thinking of going along with this kind of thing. 

Maybe we can use that new server of yours, eh? Smiley

I can prob help coding some of the site too? It would be good practice for me Smiley

• User profile image
    reedracer

W3bbo wrote:
    an MSDN version of SlashDot... I just thought up "CrashNot"

Couple more possibles,
    backslashdot.net
    drinkthekoolaid.com

Actually, I think Channel 9 is a good place to do this.

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

Crashnot is a good name.

It's not a totally obvious rip-off of Slashdot, but it's close enough to be a running joke. Smiley

Hmm, I wonder if we can get Scoble to post things from his comprehensive review of blogs - similar to his link feed?

• User profile image
    Shaded

I don't think it should be seen as an insult to Slashdot, more of an alternative.

CrashNot -  More work.  Less noise.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Wow... I wasn't expecting so many positive replies

Heh... well, I guess we could get something off the ground.

I was thinking of ripping SlashDot's layout and general "feel" and inverting it (left to right), and maybe... for the "Microsoft news" logo, have that picture of Bill G's head from the Teen Idol poster? Wink

The basics of the site wouldn't be too hard. But the more advanced stuff, like meta-moderation and comment filtering & display will take more effort.

Oh, and if we do go ahead with this... are are using XHTML1.1 w/ CSS2.1, kapeesh? Smiley

Oh... and would Microsoft back this?

...and would people rely on a news-source that says "Copyright 2005 Microsoft Corporation" on the bottom?

Call it bias... but I wouldn't, likewise I wouldn't trust anything with "Copyright 2005 Linus Torvalds" on the bottom either.

Perhaps... Microsoft involvement, but not sponsorship or anything that might add inherant (or otherwise) bias.

• User profile image
    Rossj

W3bbo wrote:
    I was thinking of ripping SlashDot's layout and general "feel" and inverting it (left to right), and maybe... for the "Microsoft news" logo, have that picture of Bill G's head from the Teen Idol poster?

You could use the slash code itself, but there seems something a little twisted in using OSS to promote closed source products - maybe it is just me.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

I've just added a Wiki entry if anyone wants to comments

'tis here: http://channel9.msdn.com/wiki/default.aspx/Channel9.CrashNot

• User profile image
    Cairo

It always astounds me that people think Microsoft either needs or deserves help.

Carry on, though...

• User profile image
    Shaded

Cairo wrote:
    It always astounds me that people think Microsoft either needs or deserves help.

Carry on, though...

This is precisely why someone should do this site.

Its not Microsoft that needs help, its our uneducated but vociferous peers in the industry that do.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.