Coffeehouse Thread

20 posts

Software Patents terminated

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    corona_coder

Well, lets all say goodbye to Microsoft.  Software Patents are found to be null and void and unenforceable.  This spells the end for the big bad M$.

Open Source once again wins one.  Open Source: 2   Microsoft and Allies: 0

• User profile image
    BlackTiger

Kill yourself by the wall...
    Don't drink too much.

BTW, how many "software patents"  MS has and how much money it gives to MS? Also "software patents" work only in US.

If you stumbled and fell down, it doesn't mean yet, that you're going in the wrong direction.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    turrican

PLEASE, EVERYONE!
    JUST DON'T REPLY TO HIS POINTLESS THREADS!
    END THIS THING ONCE AND FOR ALL.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

turrican said:
    PLEASE, EVERYONE!
    JUST DON'T REPLY TO HIS POINTLESS THREADS!
    END THIS THING ONCE AND FOR ALL.
    He's an idiot, just change the subject.

Subject Change:
    If you went to the PDC, where did you go on your off hours, like night times, or if you got there on Sunday? Did anyone else hit Hollywood? Amazed at all the tattoo shops near Hollywood and Vine Smiley

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

Don't worry. We'll just replace the president and the illuminati (sponsored by Microsoft) can continue to control everything just the way we like it.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

Harlequin said:
    turrican said:
    *snip*

Subject Change:
    If you went to the PDC, where did you go on your off hours, like night times, or if you got there on Sunday? Did anyone else hit Hollywood? Amazed at all the tattoo shops near Hollywood and Vine Smiley
    Nah. I wish I did.

I'm actually in the mood for ice cream. Have any suggestions for flavors?

• User profile image
    Ray7

Mmm .... so folk don't think that this is worthy of discussion?

Shanantu said:

According to it, the patents granted for business practices would have to undergo specific and stringent testing procedures to check the worthiness of granting a patent to it. Essentially, they are aiming to mandate a passing of “machine-or-transformation test” as a pre-requisite for granting a patent. This means that a mere “idea in my head” doesn’t qualify for a patent until it is put into practice on a machine or can transform the state of an object for a specific purpose.

Unfortunately for Shanantu and Corona Coder, this is actually great news for Microsoft, Apple and IBM.

The reason that these companies take out so many patents is to prevent them getting sued by patent trolls; those companies that pop out of the woodwork after an idea has been implemented and selling for years, claiming that they have a patent on the idea, even though they have done nothing to implement it or put it into practice.

What this does mean is that if a company comes out with new technology, say (time travel), then they would have to be able to demonstrate it before attaching a patent to it.  No more of this:

'a device or apparatus for moving forward backwards or sideways through time.'

without showing that they can make it work.

So how does this affect software patents? Well, looking at this, it doesn't. If a company can demonstrate that they have come up with a new software based idea, then they can still apply for a patent for it. All it means is that they have to be able to show it; not a bad idea in my opinion.

This is a step in the right direction for everybody, and should save Microsoft a whole pile of legal fees in the long run, and we will no longer have to worry about paying some sort of royalties because some idiot reckons they have patent on the internet.

So how does it affect MS and their claims that Linux uses their tech? Well if we ignore the fact that MS has NEVER made public which technology they believe is theirs, then this ruling shouldn't make a difference, as long as MS can provide a working model of the software they have patented.

• User profile image
    Ray7

Gaaah!! This forum!!

• User profile image
    OrigamiCar

Harlequin said:
    turrican said:
    *snip*

Subject Change:
    You think Hollywood and Vine was bad, we accidentally got off the subway 1 stop before there.
    Believe me, the walk from there to Holly/Vine was much worse! Almost in fear of our safety! :O

• User profile image
    Yggdrasil

Ray7 said:
    Gaaah!! This forum!!

Ray - I suggest you spin your comments off to a different thread. It's not that people here don't care about software patents, it's just that there's no use trying to carry on a coherent conversation in a corona thread.

• User profile image
    sushovande

mVPstar said:
    Harlequin said:
    *snip*
    Nah. I wish I did.

I'm actually in the mood for ice cream. Have any suggestions for flavors?
    I am going *now* to McDonalds for a strawberry sundae - all in $1. Yay for McD.

• User profile image
    Ray7

If you're so set against software patents, then why do you hold some yourself?

• User profile image
    fvwj

BlackTiger said:
    Don't drink too much.

BTW, how many "software patents"  MS has and how much money it gives to MS? Also "software patents" work only in US.
    "Kill yourself by the wall..."
    *$%$#@ BlackTiger, you almost killed me there.
    I'm still recovering from the flu...ouch my chest and throat hurts now.

• User profile image
    Ray7

BlackTiger said:
    Don't drink too much.

None really.

Most of these software patents are taken out so the company cannot be sued later on, when someone comes out of the woodwork claiming that they thought of it first ...

• User profile image
    BlackTiger

fvwj said:
    BlackTiger said:
    *snip*
    "Kill yourself by the wall..."
    *$%$#@ BlackTiger, you almost killed me there.
    I'm still recovering from the flu...ouch my chest and throat hurts now.
    And it wasn't strongest expression translated from "special" Russian... Imagine what I can do! Big Smile

If you stumbled and fell down, it doesn't mean yet, that you're going in the wrong direction.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    blowdart

Ray7 said:
    If you're so set against software patents, then why do you hold some yourself?

Of course CoronaCoder also claims to have patents. Oopsy.

From his defunct admin blog in siteripoff, errr, sitespaces.net

"I have a patent on a fake camera device that captures frames from your PC desktop and streams them to the camera device to flash, so you can choose a camera in Flash setup on UStream or Seesmic, reduce your window and do screencasting."

• User profile image
    littleguru

blowdart said:
    Ray7 said:
    *snip*

"I have a patent on a fake camera device that captures frames from your PC desktop and streams them to the camera device to flash, so you can choose a camera in Flash setup on UStream or Seesmic, reduce your window and do screencasting."
    He's still fine. It involves a device Tongue Out

3 Open source - 0 Microsoft Wink

• User profile image
    Ray7

blowdart said:
    Ray7 said:
    *snip*

Er ... don't people usually do this with just software?

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.