Coffeehouse Thread

19 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Is Silverlight as fast or faster as Flash? see this link...

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    turrican

Just saw this, pretty nice looking and cool http://temp.roxik.com/datas/perform/index.html

...I don't know much about Silverlight, but I am wondering if it can do stuff like that as fast or faster? I remember someone mentioning that SL has not hardware acceleration? Is that Flash thingy above using HW acc. ?

• User profile image
    turrican

This is kind'a cool too : http://temp.roxik.com/datas/bone/index.html

• User profile image
    turrican
  • User profile image
    littleguru

turrican said:
    Nice stuff... running on very few polygons though.

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

littleguru said:
    turrican said:
    *snip*
    Nice stuff... running on very few polygons though.
    As a pet project I am working on a remake of an old platform game in Silverlight 2, it all looks very promising Smiley

Will let you guys in on it, when we go to beta,.. (will take a while)

• User profile image
    turrican

Maddus Mattus said:
    littleguru said:
    *snip*
    As a pet project I am working on a remake of an old platform game in Silverlight 2, it all looks very promising Smiley

Will let you guys in on it, when we go to beta,.. (will take a while)
    Cool. I hope you use oldschool music as well. ( http://www.slayradio.org )

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

I can't really comment on the speed of Silverlight, but I do know it's fast enough to run Quake.

• User profile image
    stevo_

I think silverlight has less focus on generic animation so I would expect flash to be better at that. Hard to really compare them though, they are both fast enough to do some impressive stuff..

• User profile image
    turrican

stevo_ said:
    I think silverlight has less focus on generic animation so I would expect flash to be better at that. Hard to really compare them though, they are both fast enough to do some impressive stuff..
    Hm ok. Well, my basic point which I had in mind was, it seems that if Flash is going to that direction ( from those links I posted here ) it seems that soon we might see many more well, "real" games made in Flash. Perhaps Silverlight developers should have that in mind as well so they don't fall behind.

Edit : Although from the flash tools I seen, they can't even be compared to the great and wonderful tools Microsoft provides. I personally would not want to "develop" anything with those awful tools they provide. Microsoft indeed has done a great job providing us with good tools. I hope they continue this way.

• User profile image
    joechung

turrican said:
    stevo_ said:
    *snip*
    Hm ok. Well, my basic point which I had in mind was, it seems that if Flash is going to that direction ( from those links I posted here ) it seems that soon we might see many more well, "real" games made in Flash. Perhaps Silverlight developers should have that in mind as well so they don't fall behind.

Edit : Although from the flash tools I seen, they can't even be compared to the great and wonderful tools Microsoft provides. I personally would not want to "develop" anything with those awful tools they provide. Microsoft indeed has done a great job providing us with good tools. I hope they continue this way.
    Given how poor Adobe/Macromedia developer tools are for the Flash platform, it is a testament to the dedication, talent, and ingenuity of the designers and developers who develop such amazing things with them.

• User profile image
    turrican

joechung said:
    turrican said:
    *snip*
    Given how poor Adobe/Macromedia developer tools are for the Flash platform, it is a testament to the dedication, talent, and ingenuity of the designers and developers who develop such amazing things with them.
    I agree with you.

• User profile image
    fvwj

All I can say is, WOW! Regardless of the polygon count.
    That zoo thing of his, is the coolest. Made me feel like a kid again. And that, is always a good thing.

• User profile image
    turrican

fvwj said:
    All I can say is, WOW! Regardless of the polygon count.
    That zoo thing of his, is the coolest. Made me feel like a kid again. And that, is always a good thing.
    *lol* I just saw http://roxik.com too, check that guy in the front page coming out of TV

• User profile image
    androidi

Hmm yeah Silverlight won't have any trouble with the part of the work that actionscript is doing there but when it comes to getting the stuff on to the display I don't even need any Silverlight experience to tell it's going to be inefficient. It might run as smooth (your lcd refresh rate) given enough CPU but at what cpu usage level? However when Silverlight will get the more direct gpu programmability, Direct2D and wasapi support (yeah right) all with partial trust (yeah right) then I'm not sure why anyone would bother with Flash anymore if they still do. Now I'm not so sure how much MS cares about how well Moonlight is in sync with Silverlight but the gpu programmability as introduced in WPF might pose a problem as HLSL that it uses for shaders is specific to DirectX. There would need to be some kind of HLSL cross compiler to whatever is available on other OS and likely software renderer too etc..

Given above reasoning I believe MS will take the path of keeping Silverlight as is and will instead do something to allow eg. XNA be used in browser in a partial trust scenario. Now if there's a huge demand for cross platform gpu accelerated browser gaming platform then something like a limited set of hlsl that you could turn easily to glsl might happen or maybe another intermediate language that will output graphics code to both cpu&gpu depending what's available (something like MS Accelerator project).

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

turrican said:
    Maddus Mattus said:
    *snip*
    Cool. I hope you use oldschool music as well. ( http://www.slayradio.org )
    It has no music Smiley

And that music rox!

• User profile image
    turrican

Maddus Mattus said:
    turrican said:
    *snip*
    It has no music Smiley

And that music rox!

You can download RKO archives ( Please keep seeding though ) and use some of it in your game maybe? A game without music is... meh.

Tongue Out

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

androidi said:
    Hmm yeah Silverlight won't have any trouble with the part of the work that actionscript is doing there but when it comes to getting the stuff on to the display I don't even need any Silverlight experience to tell it's going to be inefficient. It might run as smooth (your lcd refresh rate) given enough CPU but at what cpu usage level? However when Silverlight will get the more direct gpu programmability, Direct2D and wasapi support (yeah right) all with partial trust (yeah right) then I'm not sure why anyone would bother with Flash anymore if they still do. Now I'm not so sure how much MS cares about how well Moonlight is in sync with Silverlight but the gpu programmability as introduced in WPF might pose a problem as HLSL that it uses for shaders is specific to DirectX. There would need to be some kind of HLSL cross compiler to whatever is available on other OS and likely software renderer too etc..

Given above reasoning I believe MS will take the path of keeping Silverlight as is and will instead do something to allow eg. XNA be used in browser in a partial trust scenario. Now if there's a huge demand for cross platform gpu accelerated browser gaming platform then something like a limited set of hlsl that you could turn easily to glsl might happen or maybe another intermediate language that will output graphics code to both cpu&gpu depending what's available (something like MS Accelerator project).

If you watch TL43 in the Q&A in the last few minutes, they confirm that that they are working on XNA in Silverlight.

• User profile image
    androidi

PerfectPhase said:
    androidi said:
    *snip*

If you watch TL43 in the Q&A in the last few minutes, they confirm that that they are working on XNA in Silverlight.
    I did watch it and other related stuff. It just doesn't really answer how they plan to solve the 'HLSL on other platforms' question or if it's expected that someone else does that and until then it's just xna+silverlight on windows. And that situation could make Silverlight compare less favorably to Flash. While it might not last for long, just having the word out that some SL apps might not work on other platforms that people thought were supported by SL is something I would avoid if possible. If MS wants to avoid the FUD they should aim to have feature parity atleast under the SL brand.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.