Coffeehouse Thread

20 posts

The new Hotmail

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    GoddersUK

So I signed in today and got the new inbox. It all seems nice enough, but they broke the linked accounts feature - if I sign in using my gmail account it would say that I didn't have hotmail, but I could go to the top right and select my hotmail account and view my inbox. However now when I sign in with gmail I can't do that (interstingly if I sign in with my hotmail account I can switch to my gmail account, where it will tell me I don't have hotmail). This is a real pain for me because I use the remember me option to drop a cookie for my gmail account as that is my primary WL ID.

• User profile image
    blowdart

And there's no way to empty a folder from the folder list; want to empty junk mail? Click it, see the contents and then look for the new empty button.

Doh.

• User profile image
    turrican

hm, they still have that ugly top banner. Do people even click on banners like that anymore? I haven't used hotmail for years now, GMail is much better. Well, it's cleaner. I HATE that top banner in hotmail.

Outlook 2007 is my main klient though. Nothing beats it!

Smiley

• User profile image
    W3bbo

turrican said:
    hm, they still have that ugly top banner. Do people even click on banners like that anymore? I haven't used hotmail for years now, GMail is much better. Well, it's cleaner. I HATE that top banner in hotmail.

Smiley
    Outlook 2003 for me.

I'd use 2007 if it werern't for the hardcoded colour shemes.

• User profile image
    spivonious

I haven't logged into the Hotmail website ever since I installed Windows Live Mail.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

turrican said:

Smiley
    yep, Outlook 2007, I don't understand why people don't use a mail client, open a new browser window, navigating to the mailbox is of orders of magnitude slower , ok not that slower but inconvenient for sure

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

Ion Todirel said:
    turrican said:
    *snip*
    yep, Outlook 2007, I don't understand why people don't use a mail client, open a new browser window, navigating to the mailbox is of orders of magnitude slower , ok not that slower but inconvenient for sure
    But I believe that if you don't do that every so many days in hotmail your account deactivates?

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

GoddersUK said:
    Ion Todirel said:
    *snip*
    But I believe that if you don't do that every so many days in hotmail your account deactivates?
    I doubt it

• User profile image
    tfraser

GoddersUK said:
    Ion Todirel said:
    *snip*

It won't deactivate if you access it through Outlook since that still involves the login process.

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

tfraser said:
    GoddersUK said:
    *snip*

It won't deactivate if you access it through Outlook since that still involves the login process.

Right, I use WLMail, I presume that is still the same.

I just remember this from the old days when I used to use Outlook Express to access my Hotmail.

/nostsalgia

• User profile image
    andokai

Finally a version that works in Safari. Now if they didn't charge you for POP access and/or allowed you to forward mail to non-live mail addresses I'd probably consider using it as my primary account again.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

andokai said:
    Finally a version that works in Safari. Now if they didn't charge you for POP access and/or allowed you to forward mail to non-live mail addresses I'd probably consider using it as my primary account again.
    what do you use for your primary account? I'm using Gmail but I'm not that happy with their POP/IMAP servers

• User profile image
    jason818_25​3.33

My primary email system is Hot Mail. I like the new look. it is much faster now as well. Its a new look so it will take a day or two to get used to. but im already liking the streem lined look a lot.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

jason818_253.33 said:
    My primary email system is Hot Mail. I like the new look. it is much faster now as well. Its a new look so it will take a day or two to get used to. but im already liking the streem lined look a lot.
    screenshots?

• User profile image
    andokai

Ion Todirel said:
    andokai said:
    *snip*
    what do you use for your primary account? I'm using Gmail but I'm not that happy with their POP/IMAP servers
    I'm not entirely happy either but a slap in the face is better than a kick in the nuts. I use the Google apps for your domain  thing and I forward it to Yahoo so it gets pushed to my iPhone. Not an ideal solution but there you go.

• User profile image
    Dexter

Well, appart from the font (which is way too big for my taste) it looks ok to me. And I got a good laugh out of a note on the welcome page:

"We've designed Windows Live Hotmail storage to grow with you, but at a reasonable pace. That means you should have plenty of storage unless you suddenly want to store the planet Jupiter on Hotmail, in which case we'll send you a nice e-mail asking you to please not try to store planets on Windows Live Hotmail (although gradual storage of moons and asteroids is ok)."

ROFL

• User profile image
    Zeus

I don't use hotmail that much, but I am a big fan of GMail. My company uses Google Apps for your Domain, and my personal email uses the regular Gmail service.

I used to use Outlook 2007 to get my work email, but now I just have Google Chrome open all day, first tab is personal email, second tab is work email. Stable, fast and sweeeet ....

I thought that this upgrade to Hotmails interface would bring it on par with Gmail, but it doesn't. Not by far. The banner on top is so, so big and ugly. Ruins the whole interface. I like that Hotmail works in Google Chrome though ... that's good.

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Zeus said:
    I don't use hotmail that much, but I am a big fan of GMail. My company uses Google Apps for your Domain, and my personal email uses the regular Gmail service.

I used to use Outlook 2007 to get my work email, but now I just have Google Chrome open all day, first tab is personal email, second tab is work email. Stable, fast and sweeeet ....

I thought that this upgrade to Hotmails interface would bring it on par with Gmail, but it doesn't. Not by far. The banner on top is so, so big and ugly. Ruins the whole interface. I like that Hotmail works in Google Chrome though ... that's good.
    Be very careful when you rely too much on GMail (could also happen with Live Mail): Can't access your Google Account? Tough luck.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.