Coffeehouse Thread

54 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

2009 is the year of th Linux desktop ...

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ray7

    ... according to Jim Zemlin, executive director of the Linux Foundation.

    Jim makes a bold prediction on his blog, stating that Linux will ship on more desktops than Windows and the Mac next year.


    So why such a bold claim? Well Jim believes that the winning factor, is fast boot.

    That's right, folk are so mad for fast booting machines, that they will dump both Windows and the Mac in droves.

    I would certainly agree that a lot of big companies (HP and Dell) are using Linux to provide instant on and that will certainly see it being shipped on a lot of systems over the next few months.

    The problem that I see with Jim's prediction is that he is assuming that MS is not working on its own fast boot system, that will allow folk to do basic browsing and emailing, without having to load the full operating system.

    The other more obvious problem with his prediction, is that folk actually don't care that much.  Most people I run into just leave the machine on standby, in which case they're up and running in about five seconds


  • User profile image
    Bas

    Yeah, I'd really like to take a hit in functionality to get a system that boots in seconds. That's why I use Dell's MediaDirect feature so often.

    No wait, I tried MediaDirect for a day or so before getting rid of the partition. It's fun, but in the end it's just way more practical to boot the actual OS and do your mailing and music playing from there.

    I don't give a damn that Windows takes 40 seconds or so to boot, really. And if I did care, I'd just put my machine in sleep or on standby and get back to Windows in 5 seconds.

    I'll agree with him that Linux will be shipping on a lot of desktops last year, though, what with Splashtop being embedded on motherboards now. That technically counts as Linux shipping on a desktop. Will it actually be used broadly? I doubt it.

  • User profile image
    littleguru

    I was thinking about when I really shutdown my system the last time... I can't actually remember. Might be when I installed the last system updates. The PC is always in standby mode for me, which means it recovers after 2-3 seconds.

    Btw. are we heading to the 10th or 20th years anniversary of the statement "x is the year of the linux desktop"?

  • User profile image
    GoddersUK

    They are indeed ignoring the fact that Microsoft may be working on instant on:

    http://www.engadget.com/2008/10/15/microsoft-survey-hints-at-instant-on-os-concept

  • User profile image
    stevo_

    "linux freaks prove once again they don't 'get' the market"..

    I also really don't like those 'quick boot' things, all they do is boot into an os thats minimalized to crap.. so if I want to do anything else I've gotta then stop what I'm doing, unload that os and start loading the real os.. resume what I was doing to then open a pdf or somethign stupid..

  • User profile image
    Dovella

    Every day I happen to read something stupid.
    every year linux desktop?  2006- 2007- 2008 - now 2009 ?
    I would like to remind everyone that downloads from torrents of Windows 7 prebeta
    outweigh the download of ubuntu 8.10
    If up to now someone use Ubuntu in dual boot with XP or Vista

    When released WIndows 7, the user immediately remove the partition Ubuntu dedicating the entire space WIndows 7


    this is year of WIndows 7 + Umpc+ Multitouch
    and  Windows 7 IS ROCK!!

  • User profile image
    GoddersUK

    Dovella said:
    Every day I happen to read something stupid.
    every year linux desktop?  2006- 2007- 2008 - now 2009 ?
    I would like to remind everyone that downloads from torrents of Windows 7 prebeta
    outweigh the download of ubuntu 8.10
    If up to now someone use Ubuntu in dual boot with XP or Vista
    When released WIndows 7, the user immediately remove the partition Ubuntu dedicating the entire space WIndows 7


    this is year of WIndows 7 + Umpc+ Multitouch
    and  Windows 7 IS ROCK!!
    I dual boot Ubuntu (via WUBI) and Vista, and I don't plan on removing Ubuntu.

    Not that I would loose much - 9/10 times the boot doesn't even make it to the full command line - going to some thing called "busy box" that really seems to not do anything at all.

  • User profile image
    Dovella

    GoddersUK said:
    Dovella said:
    *snip*
    I dual boot Ubuntu (via WUBI) and Vista, and I don't plan on removing Ubuntu.

    Not that I would loose much - 9/10 times the boot doesn't even make it to the full command line - going to some thing called "busy box" that really seems to not do anything at all.
    98% of the consumer user who has installed Ubuntu,(dual boot)  you know why he did so?

    Inutility one




    Inutility 2


    Stop, no more reason





  • User profile image
    GoddersUK

    Dovella said:
    GoddersUK said:
    *snip*
    98% of the consumer user who has installed Ubuntu,(dual boot)  you know why he did so?

    Inutility one




    Inutility 2


    Stop, no more reason





    Do not knock Compiz, Compiz is cool because it has absolutely no useful function or purpose what so ever! Tongue Out Wink



    Tongue Out

    EDIT: BTW - love the description "inutility" Big Smile

  • User profile image
    Ion Todirel

    GoddersUK said:
    Dovella said:
    *snip*
    Do not knock Compiz, Compiz is cool because it has absolutely no useful function or purpose what so ever! Tongue Out Wink



    Tongue Out

    EDIT: BTW - love the description "inutility" Big Smile
    I wonder where corona_coder is Smiley

  • User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

    GoddersUK said:
    Dovella said:
    *snip*
    Do not knock Compiz, Compiz is cool because it has absolutely no useful function or purpose what so ever! Tongue Out Wink



    Tongue Out

    EDIT: BTW - love the description "inutility" Big Smile
    People make a big deal about Compiz because of the stupid crap it can do (I can catch windows on fire and put fish inside my desktop cube--  woohoo!!), but Compiz actually makes pretty big leaps in terms of overall polish when compared to a plain X11 server (through simple stuff like compositing and drop shadows).

  • User profile image
    Dovella

    CannotResolveSymbol said:
    GoddersUK said:
    *snip*
    People make a big deal about Compiz because of the stupid crap it can do (I can catch windows on fire and put fish inside my desktop cube--  woohoo!!), but Compiz actually makes pretty big leaps in terms of overall polish when compared to a plain X11 server (through simple stuff like compositing and drop shadows).
    No, if i wont (stupid) Cube on windows were is a problem? those who do you want?




  • User profile image
    Ion Todirel

    littleguru said:
    I was thinking about when I really shutdown my system the last time... I can't actually remember. Might be when I installed the last system updates. The PC is always in standby mode for me, which means it recovers after 2-3 seconds.

    Btw. are we heading to the 10th or 20th years anniversary of the statement "x is the year of the linux desktop"?
    run systeminfo from the cmd and find "System Up Time" field, your welcome Smiley btw I never "shutdown" my machine too, I use suspend mode a lot

  • User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

    Dovella said:
    CannotResolveSymbol said:
    *snip*
    No, if i wont (stupid) Cube on windows were is a problem? those who do you want?




    I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to say, but I think you're missing my point.

  • User profile image
    littleguru

    Ion Todirel said:
    GoddersUK said:
    *snip*
    I wonder where corona_coder is Smiley
    I hope he didn't shoot himself, as he said in another thread... Sad

  • User profile image
    GoddersUK

    CannotResolveSymbol said:
    GoddersUK said:
    *snip*
    People make a big deal about Compiz because of the stupid crap it can do (I can catch windows on fire and put fish inside my desktop cube--  woohoo!!), but Compiz actually makes pretty big leaps in terms of overall polish when compared to a plain X11 server (through simple stuff like compositing and drop shadows).
    Wobbly Windows! Big Smile

    I really love those. (That's something that after using Linux make coming back to Windows feel like coming back to the past).

  • User profile image
    XaeroVincent

    GoddersUK said:
    CannotResolveSymbol said:
    *snip*
    Wobbly Windows! Big Smile

    I really love those. (That's something that after using Linux make coming back to Windows feel like coming back to the past).
    Linux is a fun toy but it has no chance at overtaking Windows for both reasons Linux and FOSS has no control over.

    I'm creating my own distribution based on a distribution thats been dead since 2002 but I wont be releasing it nor buy servers to host repositories.

  • User profile image
    Bas

    littleguru said:
    Ion Todirel said:
    *snip*
    I hope he didn't shoot himself, as he said in another thread... Sad
    Has anything he claimed ever happened? Of course not, he's perfectly fine.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.