Coffeehouse Thread

30 posts

Is Windows 7 notepad going to support unix/mac style line endings?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    androidi

Is Windows 7 notepad going to support unix/mac style line endings?

Just incase it has been forgotten time to bring this up again. Smiley

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

And is it double buffered to get rid of the irritating flicker?

• User profile image
    Bas

evildictaitor said:
    And is it double buffered to get rid of the irritating flicker?

Also, does Ctrl+Backspace and Ctrl+Delete delete single words now?

• User profile image
    stevo_

Bas said:
    evildictaitor said:
    *snip*

Also, does Ctrl+Backspace and Ctrl+Delete delete single words now?

They changed that so it puts in pretty little square characteres now instead, yay!

• User profile image
    Matthew van Eerde

> Is Windows 7 notepad going to support unix/mac style line endings?

I hope not.  Note that even Mac doesn't support mac style line endings anymore... they've shifted over to UNIX-style line endings.

Wordpad supports UNIX-style line endings, FWIW.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Matthew van Eerde said:
    > Is Windows 7 notepad going to support unix/mac style line endings?

I hope not.  Note that even Mac doesn't support mac style line endings anymore... they've shifted over to UNIX-style line endings.

Wordpad supports UNIX-style line endings, FWIW.
    Yes, but .txt files are associated with Notepad, and it's frustrating to open a text file in Notepad to discover that it has the wrong line endings and you have to close Notepad and reopen Wordpad.

Mac line endings aren't that big of a deal (no one uses them anymore), but Unix line ending support would be helpful.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Doesn't seem that notepad got any love in 7.

• User profile image
    stevo_

littleguru said:
    Doesn't seem that notepad got any love in 7.

Haven't they already identified (when they talked about vista) that people want a lightweight unaltered experience with notepad? if they changed it you'd get a ton of other people saying "it worked fine, why change it!".

• User profile image
    littleguru

stevo_ said:
    littleguru said:
    *snip*

Haven't they already identified (when they talked about vista) that people want a lightweight unaltered experience with notepad? if they changed it you'd get a ton of other people saying "it worked fine, why change it!".

seems like wordpad got love Smiley

• User profile image
    wkempf

stevo_ said:
    littleguru said:
    *snip*

To some extent this is valid.  New features like syntax highlighting would probably irritate at least some users.  However, handling Unix line endings, handling larger files, and improving the interface are all things that could (and should) be done and would annoy no one.

• User profile image
    Bas

stevo_ said:
    littleguru said:
    *snip*

I don't think anybody is relying on the functionality of Ctrl+Backspace doing nothing.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

wkempf said:
    stevo_ said:
    *snip*
    To some extent this is valid.  New features like syntax highlighting would probably irritate at least some users.  However, handling Unix line endings, handling larger files, and improving the interface are all things that could (and should) be done and would annoy no one.
    The thing is, if you are in a position where you need those features, you probably also know where to find alternative text editors that provide them to you.

Notepad is simple, fast and that's why it's still immensely popular Smiley

• User profile image
    wkempf

PaoloM said:
    wkempf said:
    *snip*
    The thing is, if you are in a position where you need those features, you probably also know where to find alternative text editors that provide them to you.

Ahem.

Name one person not in need of large file support?  In todays networked environment, the majority of users are also in need of better line ending support.  Improvements to the UI are something not needed, and you could do without that bit, but I'm not talking about a radical new WPF UI, just simply better key bindings, menu layout and other such things.  None of that is going to jeapordize the "simple and fast" aspects of notepad.  That bit of FUD holds no weight.  As for knowing where to get a better editor... of course EVERYONE knows.  It's a PITA though to have to install something that should exist on the system to begin with, so that argument holds no weight either.

• User profile image
    Bas

PaoloM said:
    wkempf said:
    *snip*

And I'd love it even more if I could just delete single words with common keystrokes. Smiley

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

PaoloM said:
    wkempf said:
    *snip*

Notepad2 is fast, simple, and supports pretty much every feature I want in a simple text editor (including Regex find/replace!).

I happen to think the built-in Notepad should resemble it far more.

• User profile image
    wkempf

Michael Griffiths said:
    PaoloM said:
    *snip*
    Notepad2 is fast, simple, and supports pretty much every feature I want in a simple text editor (including Regex find/replace!).

I happen to think the built-in Notepad should resemble it far more.
    I replace Notepad with Notepad2 on all of my systems as well.  However, I do NOT think Notepad should be advanced to that stage.  That does start to get into the area where Paolo is concerned.  Notepad2 is fast, yes, but it's not Notepad fast.  The extra features also mean a more complex UI.  There's many users who would rail against Microsoft for going in that direction.

We don't need a radical new Notepad.  We just need the things that are basically "bugs" to be corrected.  Large file support is mandatory.  Unix line ending support basically is as well.  The UI can use some polish.  I'm not even adverse to Bas's request, though such support should be added at the edit box level, not just at the Notepad level, if you're going to do it.

• User profile image
    turrican

NO, DON'T TOUCH MY NOTEPAD!

Sad

• User profile image
    littleguru

turrican said:
    NO, DON'T TOUCH MY NOTEPAD!

Sad

it's untouched... believe me.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.