Coffeehouse Thread

18 posts

win7 multi-touch monitor cost?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

charles had posted on facebook about running win7 on new tablet pc
    he said it ran great.
    i asked if you could use your finger (multitouch) he said no - still need a pen

so - somewhat obviously - we'd all need new monitors for mutlitouch functionality.

im not too worried about my 30" new samgsung (which i still recomend btw) as i dont see myself "touching" it

but for the kitchen or stereo - how much will these monitors cost?

I ask - because im hoping MS has some sway - to tell hardware vendors - just start adding this to new monitors.

im hoping i dont go in to a computer store to buy one for kitchen - and find they are 800$

hopfully they are glass screened lcds - for around 200 and up

ill buy 2

EDIT: ie:

NEW! Multi-Touch Windows 7 Ultimate compatible monitor! ($ 50% more! )

BTW - where is oem windows remote in $20 price range (with mini reader usb adapters)... made by ms?

edit 2: bill gates made the mouse himself - as people were doing them too expensive/wrong
    so how about it steve?  get those remotes out!

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

This is fairly new technology that's only really useful in niche markets (so not a lot of demand), so I would expect them to be very expensive.

• User profile image
    BlackTiger

Sven Groot said:

This is fairly new technology that's only really useful in niche markets (so not a lot of demand), so I would expect them to be very expensive.

"Multi touch" for "full-size" devices is pointless. "For geeks only". It will be less useful even than "Tablet PC". Also manufacturers will do anything (set enormous price tag) to kill it as soon as possible, like they did to "Tablet PC" formfactor.

If you stumbled and fell down, it doesn't mean yet, that you're going in the wrong direction.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Bas

HP has a 'reasonably' priced multitouch screen now. Dell has a multitouch tablet. Those are consumer priced and oriented devices. I guess that when multitouch becomes more general, prices will drop even further and more devices will show up.

I had some hope of Microsoft pushing hardware manufacturers to release some multitouch devices around Windows 7's launch, but I guess hoping for that is pointless. I mean, look at all those SideShow devices on the market today...

"Multi touch" for "full-size" devices is pointless. "For geeks only". It will be less useful even than "Tablet PC".

Personal Computers are pointless. They're for geeks and accountants only. Nobody will ever want one in their home.

• User profile image
    WillemM

BlackTiger said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*
    "Multi touch" for "full-size" devices is pointless. "For geeks only". It will be less useful even than "Tablet PC". Also manufacturers will do anything (set enormous price tag) to kill it as soon as possible, like they did to "Tablet PC" formfactor.
    @Blacktiger: Man, you must have eaten something really wrong. Please stop thinking in conspiracies and seeing microsoft as the incarnation of evil.

I think that multitouch devices will be indeed expensive, but the price will drop once they become more widely available. That however depends on how easy multi touch actually is and how bad people want to have such a device.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

WillemM said:
    BlackTiger said:
    *snip*
    @Blacktiger: Man, you must have eaten something really wrong. Please stop thinking in conspiracies and seeing microsoft as the incarnation of evil.

I think that multitouch devices will be indeed expensive, but the price will drop once they become more widely available. That however depends on how easy multi touch actually is and how bad people want to have such a device.
    I feel Microsoft's MT inroads for desktop and laptop systems are mistaken.

Holding your arm up against a display induces fatigue almost straight away, that's why light pens never went anywhere (and why the Wacom Qintiq monitors are often laid flat or at a shallow angle), the mouse lets you perform tasks faster and more accurately anyway (and your hand doesn't block your view of the display).

Given that people are into glossy laptop displays (and soon-to-be for desktop monitors too I'll bet) it's going to mean sales of finger-grease removal spray will skyrocket. Noone wants a grubby screen.

MT is great for handheld and MS Surface-like devices, but not much else.

• User profile image
    BlackTiger

WillemM said:
    BlackTiger said:
    *snip*

Ok, just do some exercise. During a day. Each time you want to "click" something on your screen first "emulate touch" it by your hands and fingers. Just put your hand (or both) on monitor level. Also try to calculate how many times you will avoid this exercise and send me to hell. Smiley

Problems:
    - Your hand covers large part of screen. So you have same problem as attacking shark.
    - Horizontal positition is not natural for human body (HANDS!). It's just not suitable for muscles. You need a lot of "golden bridge" practice! Smiley

Yes, it's cool and funny. But not practical. Not for "average Joe" even not for "average IT Joe".

If you stumbled and fell down, it doesn't mean yet, that you're going in the wrong direction.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Minh

BlackTiger said:
    WillemM said:
    *snip*
    Ok, just do some exercise. During a day. Each time you want to "click" something on your screen first "emulate touch" it by your hands and fingers. Just put your hand (or both) on monitor level. Also try to calculate how many times you will avoid this exercise and send me to hell. Smiley

Problems:
    - Your hand covers large part of screen. So you have same problem as attacking shark.
    - Horizontal positition is not natural for human body (HANDS!). It's just not suitable for muscles. You need a lot of "golden bridge" practice! Smiley

Yes, it's cool and funny. But not practical. Not for "average Joe" even not for "average IT Joe".
    The bad thing about multi-touch is that it can't sense pressure. W/ the WACOM tablets, pressure is sensed by the pen. Also, my iPod Touch is hella less accurate than my WACOM. Although, my DS is pretty good.... Maybe just more quality parts in the DS.

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Minh said:
    BlackTiger said:
    *snip*
    The bad thing about multi-touch is that it can't sense pressure. W/ the WACOM tablets, pressure is sensed by the pen. Also, my iPod Touch is hella less accurate than my WACOM. Although, my DS is pretty good.... Maybe just more quality parts in the DS.
    In theory, it could actually detect pressure: if you press harder, the "contact circle" of your finger on the surface will become bigger.

• User profile image
    BlackTiger

Minh said:
    BlackTiger said:
    *snip*
    What really would be useful and practical - external USB/BT touchpad.
    Not a notebook crap. Something different. Something dealing with whole hand, fingers and gestures altogether in same time. But not integrated into monitor.

Last modified
  • User profile image
    Minh

TommyCarlier said:
    Minh said:
    *snip*
    In theory, it could actually detect pressure: if you press harder, the "contact circle" of your finger on the surface will become bigger.
    That's true. I believe that's what Surface does. But it's kinda like cheating Smiley

• User profile image
    Minh

BlackTiger said:
    Minh said:
    *snip*
    Not a notebook crap. Something different. Something dealing with whole hand, fingers and gestures altogether in same time. But not integrated into monitor.
    I'm sure that'll be a product. It's gotta be much cheaper to make an external tablet than a transparent film over an LCD, or integrate into a tiny laptop form factor.

• User profile image
    jamie

Minh said:
    BlackTiger said:
    *snip*
    I'm sure that'll be a product. It's gotta be much cheaper to make an external tablet than a transparent film over an LCD, or integrate into a tiny laptop form factor.
    so to summarize most of above comments =  it is new it will cost more till more people use it

see... this is what i was posting AGAINST

when apple brings out the iphone.. it doesnt bring out one with a keypad and 1 inch screen - then have another version and another and another till you get to normal iphone...

this is the same thing i ragged about in other thread (ballmer / upsell / rebates / versions...)

if MS wants to go FORWARD .. and ECLIPSE apple - it needs it hardware makers to make a sacrifice..

other wise what GOOD are they?

why not make the MS computer and SCREW THEM ALL

* im loving use CAPS TODAY BWA HA HA

Seriously... a remote - with usb detector made by ms for $20 = media center will rule.. and monitors that support win7 right away at no extra cost = will rule.

otherwise - lets wait 5 years...  

edit:  there is no more time for this "ecosystem" stuff.  ms must put its foot down - or make the stuff itself - tomorrow

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

jamie said:
    Minh said:
    *snip*
    so to summarize most of above comments =  it is new it will cost more till more people use it

see... this is what i was posting AGAINST

when apple brings out the iphone.. it doesnt bring out one with a keypad and 1 inch screen - then have another version and another and another till you get to normal iphone...

this is the same thing i ragged about in other thread (ballmer / upsell / rebates / versions...)

if MS wants to go FORWARD .. and ECLIPSE apple - it needs it hardware makers to make a sacrifice..

other wise what GOOD are they?

why not make the MS computer and SCREW THEM ALL

* im loving use CAPS TODAY BWA HA HA

Seriously... a remote - with usb detector made by ms for $20 = media center will rule.. and monitors that support win7 right away at no extra cost = will rule.

otherwise - lets wait 5 years...  

edit:  there is no more time for this "ecosystem" stuff.  ms must put its foot down - or make the stuff itself - tomorrow

I don't see how that's relevant. I'm not saying the first multi-touch screens will be crap; I'm saying they will be expensive. And the iPhone may have been many things, but it was definitely also expensive.

The iPhone was expensive for a different reason though. With Apple, they've got a group of people who will buy it just because it says Apple on the box, because it's "cool" to have it. In this case, you want your initial price to be high so you get maximum money from those early adopters (who will basically pay no matter what you ask). Then later you lower the price so the normal people will buy it. If Apple had charged a lower price from the start, more people would've bought it immediately, but those early adopters, who were quite willing to pay more, would've paid that price too. So Apple makes more money that way.

While the early adopter argument holds to some degree for PC multi-touch displays, I expect low demand will be a bigger factor here. Because let's face it, there's not a lot of things you actually need multi-touch for on a full-size device.

• User profile image
    blowdart

BlackTiger said:
    Minh said:
    *snip*
    Oh god *please*

Don't ever touch my screen; I get really really annoyed when my screen is covered in fingerprints.

A multi-touch trackpad for notebooks like the MacBooks have would be a far better option for me anyway

• User profile image
    kettch

blowdart said:
    BlackTiger said:
    *snip*
    Oh god *please*

Don't ever touch my screen; I get really really annoyed when my screen is covered in fingerprints.

A multi-touch trackpad for notebooks like the MacBooks have would be a far better option for me anyway

If I were to get a multitouch monitor, I would have it on a monitor arm set low and to the side so that I could easily get to it at a shallow angle, and not have to strain my arm. It would definitely have to implement a combination of technologies to ensure multitouch could cooexist with precision and pressure sensitivity, all while still allowing me to use a stylus for tasks that require it.

I definitely hope that they have some sort of customization function for gestures so that we can change what gestures do, and define new ones.

• User profile image
    BlackTiger

blowdart said:
    BlackTiger said:
    *snip*
    Oh god *please*

Just planned to post something about SCMTS-monitors... ("Self-Cleaning-Multi-Touch-Surface").

Last modified
  • User profile image
    SlackmasterK

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.