Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Office 2007 adoption numbers, anyone?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Larsenal

I'd like to get a sense of the current install base.  Where can I find some data?  So far my google skills haven't got me far.

• User profile image
    jjesse

No hard numbers from me, but I used to have to save my docs in .doc, .xls, etc format to ship them to clients.  Now it doesn't matter.  I just send them in Office 2007 format and people accept them.

Jonathan

• User profile image
    vesuvius

jjesse said:
    No hard numbers from me, but I used to have to save my docs in .doc, .xls, etc format to ship them to clients.  Now it doesn't matter.  I just send them in Office 2007 format and people accept them.

Jonathan
    Not the best of barometers as the Office 2007 compatibility pack was released for Office 2003 that allows them [clients] to view the newer formats , I know of a few places this is used.

Office generates about the same revenue as Windows (would you believe it or not), and I don't see people intentionally bashing Office 2007 like Vista . I think most enterprises will retain their old Office 2003 machines, but on new machines you can have XP, but definitely take Office 2007. There is a tonne of business value there, unlike Vista.

• User profile image
    Larsenal

vesuvius said:
    jjesse said:
    *snip*
    Not the best of barometers as the Office 2007 compatibility pack was released for Office 2003 that allows them [clients] to view the newer formats , I know of a few places this is used.

Office generates about the same revenue as Windows (would you believe it or not), and I don't see people intentionally bashing Office 2007 like Vista . I think most enterprises will retain their old Office 2003 machines, but on new machines you can have XP, but definitely take Office 2007. There is a tonne of business value there, unlike Vista.
    While I understand while MS might want to guard these secrets, but it sure would be helpful in convincing devs to help push forward with software targeting current-version software.

• User profile image
    vesuvius

Larsenal said:
    vesuvius said:
    *snip*
    While I understand while MS might want to guard these secrets, but it sure would be helpful in convincing devs to help push forward with software targeting current-version software.
    Office 2007, meanwhile, appeared to continue its unbroken string of stellar growth. Revenue in the Microsoft Business Division grew 20% year-over-year to $4.95 billion.
    Full article from the New York Times although a unit report is what you're probably after. You probably have to take an average price of office, and use that to divide the total revenue. May give you a reasonable guess-timate.

• User profile image
    magicalclick

vesuvius said:
    Larsenal said:
    *snip*
    Office 2007, meanwhile, appeared to continue its unbroken string of stellar growth. Revenue in the Microsoft Business Division grew 20% year-over-year to $4.95 billion.
    Full article from the New York Times although a unit report is what you're probably after. You probably have to take an average price of office, and use that to divide the total revenue. May give you a reasonable guess-timate.
    However, the business division revenue may includes other products such as Dynamics.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.