Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Web Development Music (redux)

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Manabi

About a year ago, I made a post regarding Web Development music.

So I pose the question once more, with an extension:

What kind of music do you like to listen to while doing Web Development, or even coding or designing in general?

To answer my own question (which I believe that I never answered back then Tongue Out), I like listening to trance/j-trance, alternative rock, and folk. Sometimes I need something energetic to get me going, or sometimes I just need something help me think.

• User profile image
    cheong

IMO, any light music without someone singing will do. (the noone singing part is important, as the lyrics are likely to distract you)

For bonus points, light music that loops itself. So after playing for a while, you'll find yourself looping the music in your brain instead of listening to it, thus in a state of "shutting down non-important external input". It's actually a prerequisite for me when doing tasks that involves extreme mental concentration.

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Cupiditas

Anything I'm in to at the time but normally heavier stuff because it's curiously easier to tune out. When I've got a problem that's doing my head in I have to stop the music and just sit there, otherwise I can't concentrate properly.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

Cupiditas said:

Anything I'm in to at the time but normally heavier stuff because it's curiously easier to tune out. When I've got a problem that's doing my head in I have to stop the music and just sit there, otherwise I can't concentrate properly.

yes light music I agree, chillout or trip-top or something, definitely not rock

Web Development = development, thought, I don't think the target platform has any influence on music habits Smiley

• User profile image
    AndyC

Ion Todirel said:
    Cupiditas said:
    *snip*
    yes light music I agree, chillout or trip-top or something, definitely not rock

Web Development = development, thought, I don't think the target platform has any influence on music habits Smiley
    Anything instrumental is usually a good bet. Personally I listen to quite a lot of film scores.

• User profile image
    Zeus

Last october, our office Sonos player updated their software allowing us to connect to Last.FM. And of course, being the nerds that we are, we did.

This is the result. Almoust 5000 songs played so far Smiley http://www.last.fm/user/zeusoffice

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.