Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

Windows 7 and .NET Framework 4.0?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • Klaus Enevoldsen

Hi guys,

Have any of you heard if Windows 7 is going to ship with .NET Framework 4.0?

.NET 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 are installed default in the beta.

/Klaus

• vesuvius

I would guess-timate as a 100% yes.

Microsoft were accused of not doing enough to deploy .NET 2.0, and since most businesses will jump to Win 7 and skip Vista, it makes sense to have .NET 4.0 on the machine.

You may as well assume that .NET is now tied to Windows releases, and there would have to extenuating circumstances were this not to be so.

• BorekB

It will be interesting to see if 4.0 can be ready by the time Win7 is shipping - my feeling is that Win7 is a few steps ahead of .NET 4 / VS10 in terms of stage of development.

• androidi

Educated guess: not included unless it's somehow ready well before. Even if the OS had nothing using .NET, there could be some risk of breaking existing apps if there's some bug slipped in at last moment and there was no time to do wider testing.

• magicalclick

I haven't heard anything from .Net4.0. Such thing requires a lot of testing and I haven't seen a public beta yet. It wouldn't be right to ship it along with Win7. Especially this is a developer technology which is usually released to us before casual user release. You know, like they always ship Xbox SDK before Xbox is actually out. This is just my expectation.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.