Coffeehouse Thread

54 posts

Windows 7 first impression

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    webmonkey

Does everyone have the GB background wallpapers or is it a nice localisation touch?

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

Fredrik70 said:
    stevo_ said:
    *snip*
    Although I like the new Taskbar concept, I think it feels very unfished and half-done. There are severe inconsistencies , like if you have one app instance/IE tab running, clicking the icon will maximize and clicking it again will minimize that window (so far, so good). If you have 2 instances/IE tabs open, clicking the program icon will just open up the preview-popup, and it is totally impossible to minimize (not even an option in the right click-menu.
    So, if you want to minimize one or more windows when you have 2 or more windows of the same app running, you will have to click the taskbar, the hover over the correct window, then click, the move your mouse to the minimize button in that window,  then press minimize, and repeat for each window.
    If you want to open a specific window, it is now a 2-step procedure, click or hover, move your mouse to the desired preview, and click.
    I thing that is interface desing gone horribly wrong.
    1. Yes, it's unfinished. That's why it's a beta.
    2. So would you prefer clicking on an icon that has two open instances minmizes/restores both?
    3. To minimize all but current window, hit win-home.

• User profile image
    sushovande

webmonkey said:
    Does everyone have the GB background wallpapers or is it a nice localisation touch?
    Unless you said that, I never would have found all the other wallpapers in the C:\Windows\Globalization\MCT\ folder. Thanks!! The first wallpaper from the canadian loc is great... (the one with the clouds and sky)

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

stevo_ said:
    BitFlipper said:
    *snip*
    Its instant on vista also, I think you might have a problem on your install.
    There's a short delay in Vista if you use "single-click to open an item", which is gone in Windows 7. Smiley

• User profile image
    AndyC

Sven Groot said:
    stevo_ said:
    *snip*
    There's a short delay in Vista if you use "single-click to open an item", which is gone in Windows 7. Smiley
    The single biggest problem with Windows 7 is that it has made using my primary work machine (running Vista) vey, very annoying. I keep trying to click on the thumbnails to switch tasks! Perplexed

• User profile image
    Fredrik70

SlackmasterK said:
    Fredrik70 said:
    *snip*
    1. Yes, it's unfinished. That's why it's a beta.
    2. So would you prefer clicking on an icon that has two open instances minmizes/restores both?
    3. To minimize all but current window, hit win-home.
    This Beta is supposed to be feature complete and the only public beta. So I think the chances of Microsoft changing anything other than correcting bugs are very, very slim...
    And yes, clicking a Program icon that has multiple windows open should minimize/restore both. Hovering over it should display the popup preview.  As of now, the behaviour depends on if the application is open or not, if you have just one instance open or if you have multiple instances open.  I don't know how that would pass any sort of usability testing.
    Keyboard shortcuts are good, but it does not excuse the inconcistent behaviour of the Taskbar.

• User profile image
    Bas

Is it just me, or is Explorer a single instance application now? I can't find any way to launch a second instance of it. Why on earth would they make it a single instance application?

• User profile image
    AndyC

Bas said:
    Is it just me, or is Explorer a single instance application now? I can't find any way to launch a second instance of it. Why on earth would they make it a single instance application?
    It's not single-instance, you can launch a second copy via the jump-list. If you have a window open at the libraries folder, however, it'll bring that to the front rather than open another window there.

• User profile image
    stevo_

Sven Groot said:
    stevo_ said:
    *snip*
    Ah, I haven't used that since 98 or whatever it started with..

• User profile image
    jonathansam​pson

I installed Windows7 on my laptop yesterday morning. The laptop is a 1.73ghz with 1gb RAM. Needless to say, Windows 7 "worked," but wasn't exactly comfortable on the laptop. After a few attempts to revive my wireless card and failing, I decided Windows 7 was too much to place on that poor old laptop. The evening finished with me pirating XP (Can't find my CD) and calling it a night. So in one day, my laptop started with Vista Business, migrated to Windows 7, and finished the evening with XP - wow, busy day.

I liked Windows 7, but I won't make any comments about it just yet, since I didn't get to test it in an environment that enables all of the functionality. The good news is, XP is really fast on my laptop Smiley I had forgotten what it felt like to have a laptop working that fast!

• User profile image
    Bas

AndyC said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*
    It's not single-instance, you can launch a second copy via the jump-list. If you have a window open at the libraries folder, however, it'll bring that to the front rather than open another window there.
    Ah, that'll explain why opening a second one from the jump list didn't work. Why would I not want to open two instances of Explorer in library view?

I think this is my biggest gripe about the new taskbar: it seems so inconsistent. If you want to open a new instance, click the button. Except when another instance is already running, then you do it via the jumplist. Except when you're trying to open a new instance of explorer and the original is in library view, et cetera et cetera. Throw minimizing/restoring windows into the mix and you almost need a flowchart next to your monitor in order to figure out what'll happen if you click the taskbar button.

I don't know, I suspect that over time I'll get used to working with the new taskbar, but it's not doing much for me right now. Then again, I never really saw what was wrong with the original taskbar, either. Click a quicklaunch icon, you launch. Click an application button, you minimize/restore that application. Simple. I'm not sure how that needed fixing, and what, exactly, the new taskbar fixes.

• User profile image
    AndyC

Bas said:
    AndyC said:
    *snip*
    Ah, that'll explain why opening a second one from the jump list didn't work. Why would I not want to open two instances of Explorer in library view?

I think this is my biggest gripe about the new taskbar: it seems so inconsistent. If you want to open a new instance, click the button. Except when another instance is already running, then you do it via the jumplist. Except when you're trying to open a new instance of explorer and the original is in library view, et cetera et cetera. Throw minimizing/restoring windows into the mix and you almost need a flowchart next to your monitor in order to figure out what'll happen if you click the taskbar button.

I don't know, I suspect that over time I'll get used to working with the new taskbar, but it's not doing much for me right now. Then again, I never really saw what was wrong with the original taskbar, either. Click a quicklaunch icon, you launch. Click an application button, you minimize/restore that application. Simple. I'm not sure how that needed fixing, and what, exactly, the new taskbar fixes.
    I agree it seems wierd, though notably Vista does the same thing with the Computer folder if you click the Computer link in the Start menu (which I have always found to be something of a bug-bear). I have to say, there are lots of things I really like about the new taskbar, but I do keep hitting these little frustrations now and again. That said, I seem to be adapting to the jump-list way of launching new instances so maybe it just takes a little time.

• User profile image
    esoteric

Bas said:
    The action center pops up an awful lot of messages, by the way. I thought Windows 7 was supposed to be less 'noisy' in the notification area?

Not a big fan of the show desktop icon placement to be honest. Other than that, first impressions are good. Testing...
    The theme control is very smooth. Start menu smooth. Performance good.
    I can't hide running applications from the taskbar. That'd be nice to have. There's some annoying applications that are supposed to just run in the background but do not minimize to tray.

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

I've noticed a small change in Explorer that makes me happy. In details view, when you right click anywhere on an unselected row it will now show the context menu for the item. It used to show the containing folder's context menu if you did this in whitespace on Vista, even though you were clicking in the mouseover area of the item. I hated that. Now it's more consistent.

I like the Aero Peek feature (highlighting the window who's thumbnail your mouse is over), but I sometimes find it too sensitive, causing the whole screen to flicker back and forth between previews when I don't intend it to. Perhas the delay from mouseover a thumbnail to peek could be increased.

• User profile image
    Cream​Filling512

DCMonkey said:
    CreamFilling512 said:
    *snip*

Holy S%&* Win+Arrow keys is cool!

Since they have a mouse gesture to correspond to 3 of those arrows, maybe they should allow dragging a window title bar to the taskbar to minimize it to be consistent.

Even better, win+shift+left/right puts the window on a different monitor. Smiley

• User profile image
    PhreePhlyer

Bas said:
    AndyC said:
    *snip*

You can start a new instance of a program by using shift-click or the middle button on a three button mouse (or the click wheel).  If you want to minimize an open window, hover over the program icon and when the thumbnail shows up right click on the window you want to minimize.  The context menu lets you minimize, maximize, move or size.

The only place I've found where shift-click doesn't work is with explorer if you are in the default screen.

PhreePhly

• User profile image
    jamie

in media player - "return to last playlist"

i liked that.   you play a song from an email and it used to wipe everything out.  now you can just click back - AND - it starts playing where it left off.

Nice.  good work

(maybe you could do this before .. but i never saw it)

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

DCMonkey said:

I've noticed a small change in Explorer that makes me happy. In details view, when you right click anywhere on an unselected row it will now show the context menu for the item. It used to show the containing folder's context menu if you did this in whitespace on Vista, even though you were clicking in the mouseover area of the item. I hated that. Now it's more consistent.

I like the Aero Peek feature (highlighting the window who's thumbnail your mouse is over), but I sometimes find it too sensitive, causing the whole screen to flicker back and forth between previews when I don't intend it to. Perhas the delay from mouseover a thumbnail to peek could be increased.

Well I finally dug out an old (6 year old) PC that was gathering dust in the corner of the room and put the beta on it.  It doesn't exactly fly, but then the hardware is pretty old.

The main disappointment is that I can't get drivers for the USB WiFi (Speedtouch 121g) -- but given that I can't find any drivers for this device that would even run on Vista, it's not surprising that this thing isn't being picked up by Win7.

The nVidia GeForce 5500 FX card gets aero goin on the desktop, but I haven't tried Media Center yet.

I didn't find the taskbar changes as drastic as all that -- seemed easy enough to understand after Vista.  My only gripe is that I had to REALLY shake a window to get the others to minimise:  I prefer minimalist movements Smiley

Will stick Office onto this this evening if I get bored and see how it does with some real software installed.

Herbie

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.