Coffeehouse Thread

25 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Win7 - Any compatibility issues?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    phreaks

Thinking of installing Win7 on my primary home PC, are there any compatibility issues with common applications?

Also, what about Media Center and xbox media sharing? Everything OK in these areas?

• User profile image
    mastermine

the only problem i have had is every time i minimize firefox windows live messenger opens i also do not like the way wlm works on 7

• User profile image
    magicalclick

Win7 is basically Vista. I have ran it for few months now. No problem for me. Using the same nVidia graphics driver on my GeForce8800. Vista Codec Pack Works. Counter Strike is working fine. Visual C# Express is working like a charm. Live Messenger seems to froze on me occationally, I am trying to use Compatibility Mode and see if it is ok. Besides, using Vista SP2 CMode gives me the system tray icon I wanted.

IE8 crashs more than IE7, but that's IE8 problem, not Win7. Paint .Net has an issue with combobox selection issue, but it could be application issue with high DPI setting rather than Win7. Running high DPI is still big pain in Win7. Not that I want to use it, but everything is so small without using high DPI.

I couldn't run PC Complete Backup, but this may be fixed on Win7 Beta.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Minh

magicalclick said:
    Win7 is basically Vista. I have ran it for few months now. No problem for me. Using the same nVidia graphics driver on my GeForce8800. Vista Codec Pack Works. Counter Strike is working fine. Visual C# Express is working like a charm. Live Messenger seems to froze on me occationally, I am trying to use Compatibility Mode and see if it is ok. Besides, using Vista SP2 CMode gives me the system tray icon I wanted.

IE8 crashs more than IE7, but that's IE8 problem, not Win7. Paint .Net has an issue with combobox selection issue, but it could be application issue with high DPI setting rather than Win7. Running high DPI is still big pain in Win7. Not that I want to use it, but everything is so small without using high DPI.

I couldn't run PC Complete Backup, but this may be fixed on Win7 Beta.
    I can't install VS 2008... Some blog post suggest that you install VS 2008 w/out SP1 first, then a hotfix for a VSTO component, then install VS 2008 SP1, but I haven't been able to. Definitely not ready for a development machine.

• User profile image
    sushovande

Minh said:
    magicalclick said:
    *snip*
    I can't install VS 2008... Some blog post suggest that you install VS 2008 w/out SP1 first, then a hotfix for a VSTO component, then install VS 2008 SP1, but I haven't been able to. Definitely not ready for a development machine.
    VS 2008 installed fine here (though I installed it without the SP1 - downloading SP1 now)...

I have had compat issues with McAfee VirusScan and Daemon Tools Lite - both of which Windows flagged as "Has compat issues - please don't use*" - so I stopped and looked for alternatives.

*Not actual wording

• User profile image
    magicalclick

Huh? I am using Express C# 2008 right now. I am using Pre-Alpha, not Beta though. And I am using WIn7 Update rather than a clean install since I am too lazy to install everything esle.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    spivonious

No problems here yet, except that the newest ATI driver breaks Aero.

VS2008 installed fine for me as well as SP1.  Even Office 2000 seems to be running fine.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Visual Studio 2008 works fine here, with SP1.

The only two apps that don't work so far for me are Windows Live OneCare and Daemon Tools.

• User profile image
    Zeus

Sven Groot said:

The only two apps that don't work so far for me are Windows Live OneCare and Daemon Tools.

I can't for the life of me install VS08 on W7. I run the file, and I get a command window for a brief moment, then it closes and nothing more happens ... no error log, no nothing Sad

• User profile image
    CKurt

Zeus said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*
    I can't for the life of me install VS08 on W7. I run the file, and I get a command window for a brief moment, then it closes and nothing more happens ... no error log, no nothing Sad
    My Fingerprint Device did work on vista but doesn't ook windows 7 (build into acer)

• User profile image
    Hoepla

Sven Groot said:

poweriso works fine..

• User profile image
    vesuvius

I've just used a second hard drive on my home pc, and use the main one for Visual Studio [hard drive that is].

No problems here though!

• User profile image
    blowdart

CKurt said:
    Zeus said:
    *snip*
    My Fingerprint Device did work on vista but doesn't ook windows 7 (build into acer)
    That's because there are new biometric bits. Do you know what type it is?

If it's an Upek you can get beta bits from them

• User profile image
    AJHP

I am running Win7 on my Home box, work box and laptop along with my home netbook. 
    Running SQL 2008 fine, VS2008 also fine.  No driver issues other than having to download my netbooks wireless driver myself all other hardware (including fingerprint reader) have worked right from the install.  Must just have got lucky with the hardware i have.  (all Dell other than the netbook which is advent).

IE8 has been my biggest issue, i get 5 or 6 crashes a day.

• User profile image
    thebigdintx

AJHP said:
    I am running Win7 on my Home box, work box and laptop along with my home netbook. 
    Running SQL 2008 fine, VS2008 also fine.  No driver issues other than having to download my netbooks wireless driver myself all other hardware (including fingerprint reader) have worked right from the install.  Must just have got lucky with the hardware i have.  (all Dell other than the netbook which is advent).

IE8 has been my biggest issue, i get 5 or 6 crashes a day.

I can't get my Dell All-In-One Printer 922 to work.  Windows 7 recognized it, and it's listed under printers.  I made it my defaul printer, but when I go to print, nothing happens.

Also, I was trying to webcam with someone, and couldn't get that to work...it just froze up.  Don't know if it's a Windows 7 issue or the newer Windows Live Messenger 2009 issue.  Using a Logitech QuickCam Communicate STX model webcam.  I had previously downloaded WLM 2009 on my Vista machine, and it wasn't working on that either so I uninstalled it and went back to WLM 2008 for now on my main machine which is the Vista one.

• User profile image
    jamie

thebigdintx said:
    AJHP said:
    *snip*
    I can't get my Dell All-In-One Printer 922 to work.  Windows 7 recognized it, and it's listed under printers.  I made it my defaul printer, but when I go to print, nothing happens.

Also, I was trying to webcam with someone, and couldn't get that to work...it just froze up.  Don't know if it's a Windows 7 issue or the newer Windows Live Messenger 2009 issue.  Using a Logitech QuickCam Communicate STX model webcam.  I had previously downloaded WLM 2009 on my Vista machine, and it wasn't working on that either so I uninstalled it and went back to WLM 2008 for now on my main machine which is the Vista one.
    same here with hp all in one c4400.   it prints but doesnt scan

tried re-installing ... this OS is not supported bla bla

• User profile image
    JeremyJ

I installed Win 7 over the weekend.  My first issue was that I had no sound (not suprising since it is a Creative sound card).  I went to the Creative site and downloaded the latest Vista driver (no beta drivers for Win 7).  Tried to install and it said that it was not a supported version of Windows.  So I run the compatability troubleshooter (nice feature) and after that it ran fine.  Sound now worked.

I installed Warhammer Online to test performance and it looked like the whole game was running in slow motion.  I went to the NVidia site and installed their latest drivers (released Jan 8 and was actually Win 7 drivers.  I was very suprised).  After that Warhammer ran great.  I still haven't tested printing yet with my HP printer so we shall see if I have any issues.

Overall I am very happy with Windows 7.  I am very excited for that release.

• User profile image
    spivonious

jamie said:
    thebigdintx said:
    *snip*
    same here with hp all in one c4400.   it prints but doesnt scan

tried re-installing ... this OS is not supported bla bla
    My HP PSC1210 all-in-one prints.  Haven't tried scanning yet.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.