Coffeehouse Thread

18 posts

Basic geek test # 34. Do you know what this is?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • Ian2

(Try whacking your browsers' zoom up to 400%)

• Sven Groot

Didn't immediately recognize it, but after closer inspections there's a few system names that give it away. Big Smile

EDIT: You don't need to zoom, you can just click the image to see it full size.

• AndyC

Only needed to see the words "Inner Rim", which implied there's an "Outer Rim" somewhere. Find that and it's blindingly obvious and easy to find some well known planets.

• Bas

Easy. As soon as I saw "Inner Rim" I knew that implied "Outer Rim" and knew what it was.

Edit: Apparently Andy followed the same trail of thought.

• Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Bas said:
    Easy. As soon as I saw "Inner Rim" I knew that implied "Outer Rim" and knew what it was.

Edit: Apparently Andy followed the same trail of thought.
    Yes.  Although, if you first see "core worlds" and "colonies" (as I did), you might be tempted to think this is from another popular science fiction series.  Pretty easy to recognize where it's really from when you look at the planet names, though.

• Maddus Mattus

CannotResolveSymbol said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*
    Yes.  Although, if you first see "core worlds" and "colonies" (as I did), you might be tempted to think this is from another popular science fiction series.  Pretty easy to recognize where it's really from when you look at the planet names, though.

This is a galaxy from a long long long time ago,.. far far away,..

• jonathansam​pson

"Tatooine" was one of the first names I saw. Gave it away instantly. Crap man, I want this poster for my office! Big Smile

Here's another view:

• harumscarum

I failed.

• alwaysmc2

I'm not that kind of geek, but I am a geek!

• W3bbo

harumscarum said:
    I failed.
    After seeing the massive label "Hutt", it kinda gave it away.

...but I first saw the bit saying "Empire space", and it seemed a bit on the small side, I thought it might have been the Galactic Empire from Foundation (which is proper sci-fi; Star Wars and Star Trek are just dumbed down populist tripe Tongue Out )

• Ion Todirel

Star Trek come in my mind...

• Minh

Ion Todirel said:
    Star Trek come in my mind...
    This kind of detailed analysis ruins a franchise you know?

Remember when they talk about midichlorian in episode I?

WTF?

Starwars is a space western about space cowboys with cool powers... Eff midichlorian. George Lucas, stop trying to analyze everything. G*ddamn it! Effing ruined a great franchise.

What the eff was the trade federation, senate chambers, effing trade war? What the eff? trade? It should be about whether or not Han shot first.

BTW, I failed the geek test too.

Oh, and having some of the more mediocre actors in a big movie in recent memories (I'm looking at you Jake Lloyd and Hayden Christensen) and some of the worst dialog in the English language ("Only the Sith deal in absolutes" OMFG) does not help.

• La Bomba

Minh said:
    Ion Todirel said:
    *snip*
    This kind of detailed analysis ruins a franchise you know?

Remember when they talk about midichlorian in episode I?

WTF?

Starwars is a space western about space cowboys with cool powers... Eff midichlorian. George Lucas, stop trying to analyze everything. G*ddamn it! Effing ruined a great franchise.

What the eff was the trade federation, senate chambers, effing trade war? What the eff? trade? It should be about whether or not Han shot first.

BTW, I failed the geek test too.

Oh, and having some of the more mediocre actors in a big movie in recent memories (I'm looking at you Jake Lloyd and Hayden Christensen) and some of the worst dialog in the English language ("Only the Sith deal in absolutes" OMFG) does not help.
    Hayden Christensen ruined the movies. His acting was terrible, very, very bad.

• kettch

La Bomba said:
    Minh said:
    *snip*
    Hayden Christensen ruined the movies. His acting was terrible, very, very bad.

I refuse to see if internet rule #34 applies to geek test #34.

• Bas

Because we all knew Mark Hamill was a brilliant actor, and the original trilogy had wonderful, realistic dialogue.

Or we just want to * about everything that's new. Smiley

• ManipUni

Star Wars Universe? What do I win?

• Minh

Bas said:
    Because we all knew Mark Hamill was a brilliant actor, and the original trilogy had wonderful, realistic dialogue.

Because we all knew Mark Hamill was a brilliant actor

Mark Hamill started out shaky, but he ended the series very solidly

and the original trilogy had wonderful, realistic dialogue.

Leia: I love you
    Han: I know

Awwweee... Well at least I don't remember cringing over the dialog once in eps 4-6 ... cuz you know they know they're not taking themselves seriously... George Lucas thinks he's the 2nd coming of Joseph Campbell in the 2nd series and got all serious on us. Jar Jar a senator... Double-u Tee Eff?

Not necessarily... I like the new Indy Jones... oh wait... WTF was that all about...

• Maddus Mattus

Minh said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*
    Because we all knew Mark Hamill was a brilliant actor

Mark Hamill started out shaky, but he ended the series very solidly

and the original trilogy had wonderful, realistic dialogue.

Leia: I love you
    Han: I know

Awwweee... Well at least I don't remember cringing over the dialog once in eps 4-6 ... cuz you know they know they're not taking themselves seriously... George Lucas thinks he's the 2nd coming of Joseph Campbell in the 2nd series and got all serious on us. Jar Jar a senator... Double-u Tee Eff?

Not necessarily... I like the new Indy Jones... oh wait... WTF was that all about...
    The detailed analysis of the Star Wars Galaxy is because there is an MMO out there that takes place in the Star Wars Universe.

You can even play a jedi, how cool is that!

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.