Coffeehouse Thread

29 posts

IE 8 is far away from prime time...

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • fabian

Hi all,

The only major issue so far with Win 7 (x64) is Internet Explorer 8. It can best be described as "not ready". The reliability monitor in Win 7 agrees with me. It gives my system a reliability ratings on 1 - 2 out of 10 due to IE.

9 of out 14 error reports send so far is caused by IE (4 days period).

The version of IE that comes with win 7 is 8.0.7000.0 and the version that Microsoft released as RC1 on in December is version 8.0.6001.18343

If that version number means that the version of IE that ships with Win 7 are a later build the RC 1 Microsoft will have a very huge problem when IE 8 goes RTM.

Sad!  

• vesuvius

Note that this is not the IE beta 2 that was released a while ago, but an advanced version, according to the installation notes for Windows 7.

I was apoplectic with disappointment when I found this out.

I had hoped that my gripes with beta 2 would be wiped out - or some way to being so - but this is quite obviously is the most disappointing thing about Windows 7, for me (the caveat being so far).

Yes the Windows 7 OS is buggy, but it is beautiful and is not so broke (as they say in Yorkshire). I am already imagining Firefox  (running without hitch on Windows 7 I must say) with explorer's more perspicuous Glass.

• warren

vesuvius said:
    Note that this is not the IE beta 2 that was released a while ago, but an advanced version, according to the installation notes for Windows 7.

I was apoplectic with disappointment when I found this out.

I had hoped that my gripes with beta 2 would be wiped out - or some way to being so - but this is quite obviously is the most disappointing thing about Windows 7, for me (the caveat being so far).

Yes the Windows 7 OS is buggy, but it is beautiful and is not so broke (as they say in Yorkshire). I am already imagining Firefox  (running without hitch on Windows 7 I must say) with explorer's more perspicuous Glass.
    The version released in december isn't "release candidate 1".  Where'd you get that idea from?

Also, don't trust Windows build numbers when judging the progress of Internet Explorer -- they aren't aligned at all.

• ZippyV

I don't like the feature explosion. There are a lot of new features in there that I'm probably not going to use. On the other hand, a basic download manager that can pause and resume is still not there.

Suggested sites: useless
    Webslices: not going to use it
    Compatibility mode: I guess we're stuck with it for the next 10 years because Microsoft screwed us in the past 5 years
    Selection: every time I select something I get this weird green button that I don't need
    RSS bookmarkbar (bookmars with a popmenu with all the rss items): I use it all the time with Firefox.

Will it gain marketshare back from Firefox? No.

• vesuvius

warren said:
    vesuvius said:
    *snip*
    The version released in december isn't "release candidate 1".  Where'd you get that idea from?

Also, don't trust Windows build numbers when judging the progress of Internet Explorer -- they aren't aligned at all.
    I didn't mention a Release Candidate. I pray for a beta 3 though.

Edit:  Would the mothership ship with an unfinished IE8 in Windows 7, seeing as this is the only public beta for the new OS?

IE8 should be "leaps and bounds" ahead by now, but it is not!

• fabian

warren said:
    vesuvius said:
    *snip*

It got the info on the Release Candidate on the Internet .. so it must be true Smiley

Jokes aside...there a number of post on the net that displays this image

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Internet-Explorer-8-IE8-Release-Candidate-1-RC1-Is-Already-Here-100216.shtml

Some says, one more public test version early 2009 and then RTM

• Bas

You know, they went with a longhorn reset... Couldn't there be a slim chance of an IE8 reset?

• stevo_

Yea its a mess so far..

• spivonious

The only thing I like about IE8 is the way it treats each tab as a separate process.  Everything just seems a little off.  Suggested Sites is worthless, Slices seem like RSS to me, and there are lots of sites that render incorrectly until I resize the window (C9 included).  Hopefully they're busting their butts to get it finished in time to release with Windows 7, because IE7 crashes at least once a day for me.

• PaoloM

spivonious said:
    The only thing I like about IE8 is the way it treats each tab as a separate process.  Everything just seems a little off.  Suggested Sites is worthless, Slices seem like RSS to me, and there are lots of sites that render incorrectly until I resize the window (C9 included).  Hopefully they're busting their butts to get it finished in time to release with Windows 7, because IE7 crashes at least once a day for me.
    I'm using Chrome and it's all fast and stuff, but it croaks on a number of sites (codeplex, etc). So it's still IE at Casa Paolo...

• littleguru

spivonious said:

It seems to me that IE isn't crashing that often in 7 than it used to do in Vista... I had far more crashes in Vista, since even text selection in crashed the browser in some cases.

Chrome does still have some issues in 7 64-bit... there's a fix that makes it usable. But the idea of having all the tabs represented as small thumbnails in the taskbar and that Chrome is still missing that feature made me switch back to IE for a while Smiley

But I agree: IE8 has still a long way to go until it's really done.

• DCMonkey

spivonious said:
    I haven't had IE8 on w7 crash on me yet, but I'm kind of meh about the new features too. The one web slice I tried (the digg top 10) didn't seem to support the scroll wheel. I don't know if that was IE8's fault or the slice author.

I also thought I'd appreciate the color coding of related tabs, but I've found that the colors make it harder to determine which tab is active. I pretty much have to search for the gray close "x" on the tab now. I wish I could turn the colors off but I can't find an option for it.

And why is there an email button on the toolbar by default? I don't even have an email client installed.

Speaking of toolbars, when IE7 came out without a menu bar, I was one of those that supported the decision since I never used most of the items on the menus anyways. The Page and Tools menus on the toolbar seemed to include all of the stuff most people would need that wasn't already presented somewhere else in the UI. Now I look at the messy Page menu in IE8, and think maybe they need to bring the menu bar back as a primary UI feature. 

PS: The accelerators might end up being usefull down the road. I haven't had a need for them quite yet. I'll probably use the search for selection the most if I remember it's there. What I'd really like is a "paste the selected url text into the address bar and go there" accelerator for when people don't make links out of their urls in forum posts. Is that possible to do client side with an accelerator?

• BitFlipper

A few things I hate a bout IE8:

1) The per-tab process seems to slow down opening of new tabs.

2) Constant hangs, although being a beta, I can't really complain about that one.

3) I can no longer open new tabs right next to the current tab, as I could with IE7. And no, tab grouping is not the same, not even close.  And turning off tab grouping doesn't fix it either. In IE7 you had a choice about this particular behavior, now you are forced into one way only. I tend to browse like this:

Do a search.  Quickly scan down the results, and middle-click on any interesting link.  This way I find all relevant links first without losing my train of thought.  Then only do I look at the tabs that I opened. 

Once I have all my search results of interest in their own tabs, I look at each tab, one at a time.  Often I find additional links on the page that I'd like to follow.  So once again, I middle-click on all interesting links.  In IE7, the new tabs would open right next to the current tab, keeping everything grouped the way I want them.  In IE8, all new tabs are placed all the way to the right, completely losing context with where they came from.  And tab grouping doesn't solve the problem.  After a while, they just end up being opened somewhere to the right.

At the least, can we just get the "Open new tab next to current tab" functionality back as an option?  Please!  I am very close to giving up on IE and going with FF.  I have been resisting but it is getting harder and harder to stay with IE.

• magicalclick

Yeah, IE8 is still really unstable. A lot of times it crashed when I launch My Favorite Folder. Sometimes are ok, I crash pop-up window will show up and I can cancel the bug reporting to recover my tabs without waiting. But sometimes my whole IE is not responding, and I have to use Task Manager to end one of the process myself (mostly the one use most memory).

I like the idea that IE8 is running seperate process for each tab, so I only need to end the one that's bad, but I can't tell which process is the bad one.

IE8 is bloated with features and yet there is no download manager and spelling check. It makes me wonder what feature team is planning.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • intelman

magicalclick said:
    Yeah, IE8 is still really unstable. A lot of times it crashed when I launch My Favorite Folder. Sometimes are ok, I crash pop-up window will show up and I can cancel the bug reporting to recover my tabs without waiting. But sometimes my whole IE is not responding, and I have to use Task Manager to end one of the process myself (mostly the one use most memory).

I like the idea that IE8 is running seperate process for each tab, so I only need to end the one that's bad, but I can't tell which process is the bad one.

IE8 is bloated with features and yet there is no download manager and spelling check. It makes me wonder what feature team is planning.
    IE8 is impossible in 7 and next to impossible in Vista (Using IE8 RC).

I have sent so many error reports for IE8 crashes.

• littleguru

intelman said:
    magicalclick said:
    *snip*
    IE8 is impossible in 7 and next to impossible in Vista (Using IE8 RC).

I have sent so many error reports for IE8 crashes.

I hope they make the best out of it Smiley

One thing that I really LIKE about IE8 are the suggestions in the search text box. That's a nice idea and was very handy a few times.

• jason818_25​3.33

I have been using IE 8 for a month now and it runs just fine here.

• elmer

jason818_253.33 said:
    I have been using IE 8 for a month now and it runs just fine here.
    IE8-B2 regularly explodes on me when printing, with an integer/0 error... can't even report it, as it just blows all IE windows away.

Really handy when printing the bank-balance... as the bank website then gets all hissy about whether you logged off or are trying to get a 2nd session... UGH!

Problem seems to be stemming from the fact that printing background images are enabled regardless of the tools setting, and there is some issue with system shading or some-such api call.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.