Coffeehouse Thread

4 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Parallel applications

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    spivonious

With all of the buzz about parallel computing, I'm curious if anyone here works in a field that could really take advantage of it.

Personally, I'm writing glorified data entry apps, and I don't see anything in the business process that could be parallelized, except for some asynchronous data retrieval/updating.

For certain fields, like 3D graphics or media encoding/decoding, it definitely makes sense.  But is there anything in there for the lowly line of business apps?

• User profile image
    alexmac

How about integrations, loading and manipulation of date, reporting and analysis?

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

One of our applications is a Windows Service that runs workflows in parallel (not using Windows Workflow Foundation but our own engine). Another of our applications is a server that has to handle many concurrent TCP/IP connections. Even our GUI applications are multi-threaded, although not as parallellized as the above 2 products. But still, they perform some operations (like communicating with a server or database) on different threads (so the UI-thread is not blocked).

• User profile image
    figuerres

search -- have multiple threads each working on a "slice" of the data.
    data mining....

"what if" support, each thread does a differnt set of parameters and the user gets back for example 4 different results for 4 different cases
    like say order x from y at cost of z plus shipping fees of zz2 sold at q * n% gives profit of $$$$$
    try 4 vendors, try 4 shipping options, try 4 differnt markups -- you could test dozens of cases to see which one is least cost to buyer for max profit to store....

I am sure I can think of other cases... depends on the business ....

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.