Coffeehouse Thread

4 posts

Parallel applications

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    spivonious

With all of the buzz about parallel computing, I'm curious if anyone here works in a field that could really take advantage of it.

Personally, I'm writing glorified data entry apps, and I don't see anything in the business process that could be parallelized, except for some asynchronous data retrieval/updating.

For certain fields, like 3D graphics or media encoding/decoding, it definitely makes sense.  But is there anything in there for the lowly line of business apps?

• User profile image
    alexmac

How about integrations, loading and manipulation of date, reporting and analysis?

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

One of our applications is a Windows Service that runs workflows in parallel (not using Windows Workflow Foundation but our own engine). Another of our applications is a server that has to handle many concurrent TCP/IP connections. Even our GUI applications are multi-threaded, although not as parallellized as the above 2 products. But still, they perform some operations (like communicating with a server or database) on different threads (so the UI-thread is not blocked).

• User profile image
    figuerres

search -- have multiple threads each working on a "slice" of the data.
    data mining....

"what if" support, each thread does a differnt set of parameters and the user gets back for example 4 different results for 4 different cases
    like say order x from y at cost of z plus shipping fees of zz2 sold at q * n% gives profit of $$$$$
    try 4 vendors, try 4 shipping options, try 4 differnt markups -- you could test dozens of cases to see which one is least cost to buyer for max profit to store....

I am sure I can think of other cases... depends on the business ....

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.