Coffeehouse Thread

35 posts

Mars is Alive!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Erisan

> Why do we need to demonstrate that we are not special?

Personally I think that the question "are we here (in universe) alone?" extremely interesting. Don't you?

> And Another Perspective.

The tone of that article is a ... well, a bit lame Sad. Writer seems to be offended.

• User profile image
    jonathansam​pson

Erisan said:

Personally I think that the question "are we here (in universe) alone?" extremely interesting. Don't you?

The tone of that article is a ... well, a bit lame Sad. Writer seems to be offended.
    > Personally I think that the question "are we here (in universe) alone?"
    > extremely interesting. Don't you?

Yes. It is an interesting question. But that isn't the same as, "I can't wait until we prove we're not alone."

> The tone of that article is a ... well, a bit lame Sad. Writer
    > seems to be offended.

What part communicated offense? I didn't see any. Only thing I saw was an admission that spectacular claims about life are not foreign. And the common trend is that they typically fizzle out with time. Other than that, they reaffirmed what nasa stated regarding the geologic activities that produce methane as well - something that must be noted when discussing this issue.

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

jonathansampson said:
    Charles said:
    *snip*
    Not to be a nuisance, but that's affirming the consequent. If A (life) then B (methane), B therefore A isn't a valid argument. Sure, it makes life probable, but doesn't exactly constitute as proof.

That's all I'll say Smiley Well, that, and "Cool! Methane!" Smiley
    Nobody was saying that.

What their saying is that C (Methane) is usually only formed by either A (life) or B (geology). Hence if C is present it is VERY VERY likely that either A or B is.

Neither of witch were thought to be particularly exciting on mars. So either way it's big news.

That and the fact that something was replenishing the methane.

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

Erisan said:

Well, as a scientist I'm quite offended by the misreporting of this in the media (the examples given).

But if anyone actually takes the Sun (or Fox News for that matter) seriously then that's there loss.

• User profile image
    jonathansam​pson

GoddersUK said:
    jonathansampson said:
    *snip*
    Nobody was saying that.

What their saying is that C (Methane) is usually only formed by either A (life) or B (geology). Hence if C is present it is VERY VERY likely that either A or B is.

Neither of witch were thought to be particularly exciting on mars. So either way it's big news.

That and the fact that something was replenishing the methane.
    I would agree with you there. Sorry, it seemed that Charles suggest If A then B, B therefore A in his response to BlackTiger. My apologies if that wasn't the case.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

GoddersUK said:
    Erisan said:
    *snip*
    Well, as a scientist I'm quite offended by the misreporting of this in the media (the examples given).

But if anyone actually takes the Sun (or Fox News for that matter) seriously then that's there loss.
    ++

My interpretation of the NASA article was that they were more open the geological source than the biological source, it's only the uninformed tabloid press that are looking for sensationalism here.

Unfortunately, a lot of people get their 'facts' from the media. Sad

Herbie

• User profile image
    jonathansam​pson

Dr Herbie said:
    GoddersUK said:
    *snip*
    ++

My interpretation of the NASA article was that they were more open the geological source than the biological source, it's only the uninformed tabloid press that are looking for sensationalism here.

Herbie
    C'mon now - doesn't it sound cooler to suggest that brain-sucking martian trimmers are migrating in herds, colonies, whatever, just beneath the surface of Mars!? Big Smile

• User profile image
    Bas

Dr Herbie said:
    GoddersUK said:
    *snip*
    ++

Herbie
    Where else are you supposed to get them from? I don't regularly do research in Mars' atmosphere. And I don't know a lot of NASA scientists.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Bas said:
    Dr Herbie said:
    *snip*
    Where else are you supposed to get them from? I don't regularly do research in Mars' atmosphere. And I don't know a lot of NASA scientists.
    I tend to trust longstanding science media like Nature and New Scientist, as opposed to tabloid daily press.  I no longer have access to University libraries to keep right up to date so I have to wait for the new to filter through to the 'popular journals' rather than the ones that only about 12 people read regularly Wink

Herbie

• User profile image
    Bas

Dr Herbie said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*
    I tend to trust longstanding science media like Nature and New Scientist, as opposed to tabloid daily press.  I no longer have access to University libraries to keep right up to date so I have to wait for the new to filter through to the 'popular journals' rather than the ones that only about 12 people read regularly Wink

Herbie

So you are, in fact, getting your facts from the media? Tongue Out

• User profile image
    jonathansam​pson

Bas said:
    Dr Herbie said:
    *snip*

Not all media are created equal Smiley Sure, they all have their problems, but I tend to trust New Scientist more so than Teen Glamour Smiley Likely what Herb is saying is that he doesn't get his facts from what the general-public considers "Media."

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Bas said:
    Dr Herbie said:
    *snip*

OK, I should have chosen my words more carefully.  I meant 'tabloids' rather than 'media'.

I wasn't expecting the Spanish Inquisition  ...  (let's see how long it takes )

Herbie

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

jonathansampson said:
    Dr Herbie said:
    *snip*
    C'mon now - doesn't it sound cooler to suggest that brain-sucking martian trimmers are migrating in herds, colonies, whatever, just beneath the surface of Mars!? Big Smile
    http://www.stopabductions.com/

• User profile image
    Bas

Dr Herbie said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*
    OK, I should have chosen my words more carefully.  I meant 'tabloids' rather than 'media'.

I wasn't expecting the Spanish Inquisition  ...  (let's see how long it takes )

Herbie

Not all media are created equal Smiley

That was my point. Smiley

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

Dr Herbie said:
    GoddersUK said:
    *snip*
    ++

Herbie
    Its not just the media, NASA tries to always play up the possibility of life to get media interest, since that's the only way papers will publish stories.

In this case I don't think that was true, they have to consider either the geologic possibility or biological possibility.. they're just starting to rule out biological life because every test they've performed for life has been disappointing

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

GoddersUK said:
    Lets stop COWS from farting, staple it shut, epoxy it like some users do to USB ports.  

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.