Coffeehouse Thread

17 posts

Live & Windows 7 sticky notes

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    esoteric

This is a very small feature/application of Windows 7 - Sticky Notes - but boy is it useful. It's cool that Microsoft finally added a snipping tool and sticky notes to Windows. Nice for forgetful people like me.

Now it would be great to have fully versioned Live integration of sticky notes so you cannot accidentally loose info. And if Windows recognized dates in sticky notes it might automatically project those notes onto calendar entries Smiley

Just a thought...

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

It's kind of odd to me that they've added a full blown app for sticky notes and removed the sticky notes gadget. It seems like the later would be more appropriate for such a thing.

What can the new Sticky Notes app do that the old gadget couldn't?

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

DCMonkey said:
    It's kind of odd to me that they've added a full blown app for sticky notes and removed the sticky notes gadget. It seems like the later would be more appropriate for such a thing.

Just like with the gadget, you can't drag text to it :<

• User profile image
    spivonious

DCMonkey said:

Well, for starters you lose the note when you Show Desktop.  Personally liked the gadget a lot more.  A great place to jot down phone numbers, or confirmation numbers, or similar short things.

• User profile image
    Bas

DCMonkey said:

I too liked the gadget much better. Not only does the sticky notes application add an icon I don't need to my taskbar, but if I Show Desktop, it's gone. I thought the whole point was that you could put gadgets on the desktop so that you could use Aero Peek and cast a quick glance at them?

I'm definitely saving the sticky notes gadget from vista. If Windows 7/IE8 doesn't break it, of course.

• User profile image
    esoteric

DCMonkey said:

No idea. I didn't use the old gadget Smiley

• User profile image
    sushovande

Bas said:
    DCMonkey said:
    *snip*
    I too liked the gadget much better. Not only does the sticky notes application add an icon I don't need to my taskbar, but if I Show Desktop, it's gone. I thought the whole point was that you could put gadgets on the desktop so that you could use Aero Peek and cast a quick glance at them?

I'm definitely saving the sticky notes gadget from vista. If Windows 7/IE8 doesn't break it, of course.
    Didnt you lose all the data if you accidentally closed the gadget?

• User profile image
    esoteric

DCMonkey said:

"Full blown", well you could say that perhaps, except that does not really mean anything. Isn't it a very "small full-blown app"? [I didn't check its profile.]

Appropos, how about pens, if you have a digital pen and want to write a note.

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

esoteric said:
    DCMonkey said:
    *snip*
    "Full blown", well you could say that perhaps, except that does not really mean anything. Isn't it a very "small full-blown app"? [I didn't check its profile.]

I just meant that it gets a button in the taskbar and otherwise behaves like an application rather than just having each note sit on your desktop until you're done with it.

• User profile image
    Bas

DCMonkey said:
    esoteric said:
    *snip*
    I just meant that it gets a button in the taskbar and otherwise behaves like an application rather than just having each note sit on your desktop until you're done with it.
    Which is actually much more useful behavior for a sticky note.

• User profile image
    esoteric

Bas said:
    DCMonkey said:
    *snip*
    Which is actually much more useful behavior for a sticky note.
    No disagreement there. Let's observe W++
    (I hear some distant laughs: It's the sticky notes! 
    - forget about performance, it was all just about the sticky notes!)

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

Snipping tool isn't new to Win7 - it was present in Vista too.

• User profile image
    esoteric

GoddersUK said:

Snipping tool isn't new to Win7 - it was present in Vista too.

Anything new with it?

• User profile image
    AndyC

esoteric said:
    DCMonkey said:
    *snip*

The sticky notes support inking on a Tablet PC, which is cool.

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

esoteric said:
    GoddersUK said:
    *snip*
    Anything new with it?
    I have no idea, it's just that you mentioned it in your OP.

• User profile image
    JordanOMy

Hi hello everyone:) Glad to join this forum. Can anyone tell me where I can download tat Sticky Notes gadget for windows 7. I'm using Windows 7 Home Basic came with my laptop.I dont find this thing default. can i install it seperately?

• User profile image
    davewill

@JordanOMy: Start -> Programs -> Accessories  if it is not there then use Windows Programs and Features to bring it to life.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.