Coffeehouse Thread

104 posts

EU: No IE in Windows

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-10144602-75.html?tag=newsLatestHeadlinesArea.0


    * on the bright side... that might just fix win7 for summer release Wink

  • User profile image
    Bas

    Oh, God. So now, in addition to Windows 7 Home, Windows 7 Business, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 7 Home Edition N, Windows 7 Business Enition N, and Windows 7 Ultimate Edition N, we'll have Windows 7 Home Edition I, Windows 7 Business Edition I, and Windows 7 Ultimate Edition I and Windows 7 Home Edition NI, Windows 7 Business Enition NI, and Windows 7 Ultimate Edition NI. Thanks, EU. Maybe you can get a few extra copies for Strassbourg, then at least it looks like somebody bought them.

  • User profile image
    stevo_

    I knew this was coming, just wait tho because calc.exe is next.. YOU HEARD IT HERE, REMEMBER THAT.

  • User profile image
    Bass

    Bas said:
    Oh, God. So now, in addition to Windows 7 Home, Windows 7 Business, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 7 Home Edition N, Windows 7 Business Enition N, and Windows 7 Ultimate Edition N, we'll have Windows 7 Home Edition I, Windows 7 Business Edition I, and Windows 7 Ultimate Edition I and Windows 7 Home Edition NI, Windows 7 Business Enition NI, and Windows 7 Ultimate Edition NI. Thanks, EU. Maybe you can get a few extra copies for Strassbourg, then at least it looks like somebody bought them.
    Well it looks like the  "Windows 7 NI" editions might be the only editions Microsoft will be able to legally sell anyway.. I think it would be nice if they had an option to pick what browser to use when you first start the computer.

  • User profile image
    Bass

    stevo_ said:
    I knew this was coming, just wait tho because calc.exe is next.. YOU HEARD IT HERE, REMEMBER THAT.
    Wolfram Research (makers of Mathematica) to sue Microsoft for anti-trust? Smiley

  • User profile image
    Bas

    Bass said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*
    Well it looks like the  "Windows 7 NI" editions might be the only editions Microsoft will be able to legally sell anyway.. I think it would be nice if they had an option to pick what browser to use when you first start the computer.
    Which browsers should make the list?

  • User profile image
    stevo_

    Bas said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*
    Which browsers should make the list?

    To do be fair the list can't be included, instead you can download a number of lists online.. o wait

  • User profile image
    jamie

    Bas said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*
    Which browsers should make the list?
    firefox:   not bad.. still slower in windows than IE
    safari:     fast but alien in windows
    chrome:  very fast - but no options (ad blocker, full screen)
    ie7 -  fast in windows - ugly locked bar UI
    ie8 -  broken... garbage
    ie6 -  fast in windows, great simple UI, not boxy, coolbars

    Im all for IE6!  Wink

  • User profile image
    stevo_

    Ugh jamie don't start.. ie6 + great simple ui? are you on glue?

  • User profile image
    jamie

    stevo_ said:
    Ugh jamie don't start.. ie6 + great simple ui? are you on glue?
    if i could push a button - and have win7 run IE6 UI i would. (with ie7 rendering/guts)

    i hated ie7 (locked ugly) and ie8 is a joke.

    *also includes the way IE6 handled full screen and inline ftp and explorer integration

    sorry but... they have ruined IE.  i dont even care if its removed anymore.. and thats saying something coming from a fan


  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    Bass said:
    stevo_ said:
    *snip*
    Wolfram Research (makers of Mathematica) to sue Microsoft for anti-trust? Smiley
    Yes, because now that Calculator has arbitrary-precision arithmetic support it's competing with the Mathematica Kernel now!

    (even though MM's APA system is powered the GPL'd GMP.

  • User profile image
    stevo_

    jamie said:
    stevo_ said:
    *snip*
    if i could push a button - and have win7 run IE6 UI i would. (with ie7 rendering/guts)

    i hated ie7 (locked ugly) and ie8 is a joke.

    *also includes the way IE6 handled full screen and inline ftp and explorer integration

    sorry but... they have ruined IE.  i dont even care if its removed anymore.. and thats saying something coming from a fan


    Well IE8 is a joke, I agree with that.. but I cant fault the IE7+ UI, its simple, compact and looks great.

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    stevo_ said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*
    Well IE8 is a joke, I agree with that.. but I cant fault the IE7+ UI, its simple, compact and looks great.
    I like Microsoft's idea of going for better discovery by getting rid of menubars and the simplified Page / Tools menus in IE7 work pretty well. But my main issues:

    a) Why couldn't they use tab graphics that respect system visual styles or at least color settings? IE7's blue tabs don't look good on every computer.
    b) The tabs can get pretty unresponsive and laggy
    c) There's no Down state for the tabs, just Up, Over, and Selected which adds to the laggy feel
    d) The Advanced Settings area is a shame. They removed per-item help and have a horizontal scrollbar. Ugly.

  • User profile image
    jamie

    stevo_ said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*
    Well IE8 is a joke, I agree with that.. but I cant fault the IE7+ UI, its simple, compact and looks great.
    you know what would be cool - if they had win7 Explorer and IE8 - like normal with Web pizza Slices and Read Lists etc....

    but then they had a separate option:   Explorer advanced and Internet Exporer Advanced

    "Are you sure you want to turn on the above features?"
    * Microsoft does not recommend using these versions unless you are experienced with computers and windows

    ENABLE

    "Are you sure?"

    YES


    then you get explorer using the tree and UP, IE has integration again, ftp works again, full screen is true full screen again, coolbars are back

    Then the new users/children are safe - and people who LIKED WINDOWS FOR 12 YEARS can have that "option"

  • User profile image
    Minh

    Will this delay Win7?

    I remember the days when IE services the desktop... what was it called "Active Desktop?" And IE is integrated into Windows Explorer, right? If you happen to type in a URL into the Explorer address bar?

    MS said during the DOJ monopoly trial that they have to ship IE w/ Windows because it was so integrated.

  • User profile image
    jamie

    Minh said:
    Will this delay Win7?

    I remember the days when IE services the desktop... what was it called "Active Desktop?" And IE is integrated into Windows Explorer, right? If you happen to type in a URL into the Explorer address bar?

    MS said during the DOJ monopoly trial that they have to ship IE w/ Windows because it was so integrated.

    Nashville?  ah my very favorite thing MS ever released...
    that it has slowly been disabling ever since

    SECURITY ARG!


    - ps - you should have seen my active desktop company intranet Wink

  • User profile image
    spivonious

    So, if Windows 7 doesn't come with a browser, how are you supposed to get one?  I think we've reached a point where a web browser is a necessary piece of an OS.  How come they're not going after Apple bundling Safari?

  • User profile image
    stevo_

    spivonious said:
    So, if Windows 7 doesn't come with a browser, how are you supposed to get one?  I think we've reached a point where a web browser is a necessary piece of an OS.  How come they're not going after Apple bundling Safari?
    Apple sends them free imacs every few months.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.