Coffeehouse Thread

21 posts

Oh no! My win7 install is screwed :(

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • OnlyJack

    I installed quicktime on windows 7 and windows installer has been throwing errors since then: when I launch a windows installer based setup I get a Windows Installer has stopped working error. I ran SFC, I used system restore, I sent dozens of reports but the error won't go away. I believe the issue is caused by the application compatibility database that got corrupt because once I got an error about the application compatibility tool at the same time of one of the windows installer crashes. What can I do other than painfully reinstalling windows 7?

  • esoteric

    I feel your pain. I had the blue screen of death during install - four times (32 bit twice, 64 bit twice); the last install was 64 bit and then for the fun of it, I tried booting - which succeeded. So my Windows 7 is in an undefined state. There is a recovery tool - maybe that can go through all files and replace anyone with a mismatched hash. Pure dumb luck has it that the system does appear as good as fully functional.

  • Dexter

    Hmm, I ran into something similar and I found that it is caused by the "customer experince improvments" reports (aka SQM). Try turning it off and see if it works (if you haven't reinstalled already)

    How to turn it off:
    1) search the control panel or start menu for "customer experience", you should find a task called "Change Customer Experience Improvement Program settings"
    2) open that task and select "No, I don't want.... "

    Probably you should turn that back one after you're done installing, what's the point of a beta if the errors and other problems are not reported? Smiley



  • SlackmasterK

    Why would anyone install QuickTime?        

  • Cream​Filling512

    SlackmasterK said:
    Why would anyone install QuickTime?        
    Haha yeah I was thinking the same thing.  I avoid installing Apple software on Windows like it's the plague.  

  • ericbphoto

    CreamFilling512 said:
    SlackmasterK said:
    *snip*
    Haha yeah I was thinking the same thing.  I avoid installing Apple software on Windows like it's the plague.  
    Have the same problem. Now I can't install anything. Even things that use Air to install. Will try the Feedback thing. Crosses fingers

  • giovanibad

    Dexter said:

    Hmm, I ran into something similar and I found that it is caused by the "customer experince improvments" reports (aka SQM). Try turning it off and see if it works (if you haven't reinstalled already)

    How to turn it off:
    1) search the control panel or start menu for "customer experience", you should find a task called "Change Customer Experience Improvement Program settings"
    2) open that task and select "No, I don't want.... "

    Probably you should turn that back one after you're done installing, what's the point of a beta if the errors and other problems are not reported? Smiley



    I was trying to install the JDK and this tip worked.

    "turning customer experience off"

  • ericbphoto

    giovanibad said:
    Dexter said:
    *snip*
    I was trying to install the JDK and this tip worked.

    "turning customer experience off"
    Yep worked for me too. Sweet. Kinda strange tho really.

  • OnlyJack

    Dexter said:

    Hmm, I ran into something similar and I found that it is caused by the "customer experince improvments" reports (aka SQM). Try turning it off and see if it works (if you haven't reinstalled already)

    How to turn it off:
    1) search the control panel or start menu for "customer experience", you should find a task called "Change Customer Experience Improvement Program settings"
    2) open that task and select "No, I don't want.... "

    Probably you should turn that back one after you're done installing, what's the point of a beta if the errors and other problems are not reported? Smiley



    Thanks, it was the customer experience program just like you said: Windows update and all windows installer based setups started working again after turning that off. I hope they'll release an update for the issue soon.

    "Why would anyone install QuickTime?"


    To see the exclusive movie trailers that are available at decent quality only on the Apple website or to use iTunes that is required to sync the most popular mp3 player (ipod) and the most popular phone (iphone). I can't believe a beta could break so easily with an application so popular: the Quicktime setup didn't even launch yet win7 was instantly broken.

  • bureX

    OnlyJack said:
    Dexter said:
    *snip*
    Thanks, it was the customer experience program just like you said: Windows update and all windows installer based setups started working again after turning that off. I hope they'll release an update for the issue soon.

    "Why would anyone install QuickTime?"


    To see the exclusive movie trailers that are available at decent quality only on the Apple website or to use iTunes that is required to sync the most popular mp3 player (ipod) and the most popular phone (iphone). I can't believe a beta could break so easily with an application so popular: the Quicktime setup didn't even launch yet win7 was instantly broken.
    QuickTime is really not worthy of even coming near my machine. Ugh, even in it's infant versions years ago it was still bloatware...

    Don't know if this works with Windows 7, haven't tried it yet, but maybe a small codec pack called "QuickTime Alternative" could do the job? I use it on all of my Vista installs and it does what it's supposed to do without having to step directly over to the dark side.

  • sushovande

    I hit the same problem with Google Earth right now.. thankfully - disabling SQM did the trick.

  • OnlyJack

    sushovande said:
    I hit the same problem with Google Earth right now.. thankfully - disabling SQM did the trick.
    Too many people are experiencing this issue right now, all at the same time, here, on other forums (39 posts in 18 hours) and on the newsgroup (63 posts in 1 day).

    I'm pretty sure MS screwed up some files that customer experience service downloads from the internet causing MSI/WU to break for all users: that could explain why system restore didn't work, it kept breaking. Nobody seemed to have experienced this problem before, all those dozens of posts about the issue only in the last 2 day . Anybody knows other win7 users to ask if they started having the same issue?

  • Dexter

    OnlyJack said:
    sushovande said:
    *snip*
    Too many people are experiencing this issue right now, all at the same time, here, on other forums (39 posts in 18 hours) and on the newsgroup (63 posts in 1 day).

    I'm pretty sure MS screwed up some files that customer experience service downloads from the internet causing MSI/WU to break for all users: that could explain why system restore didn't work, it kept breaking. Nobody seemed to have experienced this problem before, all those dozens of posts about the issue only in the last 2 day . Anybody knows other win7 users to ask if they started having the same issue?
    Nope, I don't think it's because of some download/update because I have 2 Win7 installations and only one has this problem. And it's not caused by Quicktime either, I don't have it installed.

  • Sabot

    Dexter said:
    OnlyJack said:
    *snip*
    Nope, I don't think it's because of some download/update because I have 2 Win7 installations and only one has this problem. And it's not caused by Quicktime either, I don't have it installed.
    Adobe PDF version 9 install is fooked on '7, however version 8 work fine. Perhaps the common factor is Adobe? ... anyone remember the dodgy  first version of Safari on Windows that leaves me with the concern that they don't always conform.

  • OnlyJack

    Sabot said:
    Dexter said:
    *snip*
    Adobe PDF version 9 install is fooked on '7, however version 8 work fine. Perhaps the common factor is Adobe? ... anyone remember the dodgy  first version of Safari on Windows that leaves me with the concern that they don't always conform.
    I installed and I'm using adobe reader 7 without any issue on win7, it was the first application I installed.

  • Sven Groot

    Sabot said:
    Dexter said:
    *snip*
    Adobe PDF version 9 install is fooked on '7, however version 8 work fine. Perhaps the common factor is Adobe? ... anyone remember the dodgy  first version of Safari on Windows that leaves me with the concern that they don't always conform.
    I'm now also experiencing this issue, on two machines, and in both cases the last thing I installed successfully was Adobe Reader 9. Could that be it?

  • Dodo

    Sven Groot said:
    Sabot said:
    *snip*
    I'm now also experiencing this issue, on two machines, and in both cases the last thing I installed successfully was Adobe Reader 9. Could that be it?
    Simple (temporary) solution (until it reoccurs): delete the string values with numbers and the value 'MachineThrottling' in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\SQMClient\Windows\DisabledSessions

  • OnlyJack

    Sven Groot said:
    Sabot said:
    *snip*
    I'm now also experiencing this issue, on two machines, and in both cases the last thing I installed successfully was Adobe Reader 9. Could that be it?
    I'm sure it isn't Adobe Reader 9, it's something MS did because I installed Quicktime on another windows 7 that I had put on another PC and the install worked flawlessly. I installed dozens of applications before Quicktime (some heavy ones like visual studio, vmware, office, jdk, eclipse, premiere cs4) including Acrobat 9 that was the first I installed and none of them gave this issue. This issue started appearing 3 days ago as the boom of posts about that issue started the 18th of january proves, I've had the Windows 7 7000 build installed on the other PC since it was leaked almost 3 weeks ago and I never had this issue there, most likely because that PC wasn't connected to the internet during that time.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.