57 posts

Windows 7 gripes

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

littleguru said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*
    Like in Coke Zero? I went back to XP also a while ago... just in the VM but I did it because I had to support stuff. Man was it hard to find stuff. I'm so used to my desktop search now.

Also, if I speak with my grand parents they complain about the new phones that are available in this world, like mobile phones and stuff. So complicated etc. Take my cousin with 10 years. She plays with them and has no issues at all... who's wrong?

Don't get me wrong: change isn't appropriate all the time. But not changing / improving / enhancing / removing / etc. means to stand still, which in the end means to fall back because everyone else marches forward. Perhaps an intermediate mode where you get a migration guide, which video tutorials or something would help?
    littleguru,

I think a lot of cellphone interfaces are more complicated than they should be, and a lot of users simply accept that because they're good with technology.

On the other hand, all of this is easy to learn and use if you're in the right frame of mind, people who are intimidated by technology just have trouble learning it.

• User profile image
    littleguru

brian.shapiro said:
    littleguru said:
    *snip*
    littleguru,

I think a lot of cellphone interfaces are more complicated than they should be, and a lot of users simply accept that because they're good with technology.

On the other hand, all of this is easy to learn and use if you're in the right frame of mind, people who are intimidated by technology just have trouble learning it.
    ... lucky for all these 10+ years old that they learn it with ease Wink I hear more often parents complaining about youngsters using the phones too much (sending too many short messages and phoning) and switching between devices too often -- even - now it comes - WANTING them to buy another brand WITH another UI experience because it is in and cool and all the cool friends have it... and picking up the new UI within minutes.

My question is the following: how much about the complaining is because people are getting old and don't want change and how much is really the issue because of the a possibly broken UI?

Note: I'm all for simple UX and I don't want to insult here someone!

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

littleguru said:
    brian.shapiro said:
    *snip*
    ... lucky for all these 10+ years old that they learn it with ease Wink I hear more often parents complaining about youngsters using the phones too much (sending too many short messages and phoning) and switching between devices too often -- even - now it comes - WANTING them to buy another brand WITH another UI experience because it is in and cool and all the cool friends have it... and picking up the new UI within minutes.

My question is the following: how much about the complaining is because people are getting old and don't want change and how much is really the issue because of the a possibly broken UI?

Note: I'm all for simple UX and I don't want to insult here someone!
    Yea, 10 year olds arent intimidated by learning, that's why they learn it with ease.

I learn technology with ease also. But the issue for me isn't how easy I'm learning it, its the experience using it. It's like you can understand a book with very poor writing but still think it should be written better Smiley Or being able to navigate a very bad website design, but think it should be designed better

• User profile image
    corona_coder

brian.shapiro said:
    littleguru said:
    *snip*
    Yea, 10 year olds arent intimidated by learning, that's why they learn it with ease.

I learn technology with ease also. But the issue for me isn't how easy I'm learning it, its the experience using it. It's like you can understand a book with very poor writing but still think it should be written better Smiley Or being able to navigate a very bad website design, but think it should be designed better
    And the Windows 7 and Windows Mobile experience suck.  Why do you think Microsoft has such a hard time.  Its not only because their coders couldnt code themselves out of wet paper bags its because the experience on Windows sucks.  windows, you have viruses, blue screens, red screens etc.  You have every malicious pice of software working against you and you must have 10 year olds designing the interface. 

Its no longer a Windows world.  Long live the Mac, Linux, iPhone, Android and webOS.

• User profile image
    Bas

corona_coder said:
    brian.shapiro said:
    *snip*
    And the Windows 7 and Windows Mobile experience suck.  Why do you think Microsoft has such a hard time.  Its not only because their coders couldnt code themselves out of wet paper bags its because the experience on Windows sucks.  windows, you have viruses, blue screens, red screens etc.  You have every malicious pice of software working against you and you must have 10 year olds designing the interface. 

Its no longer a Windows world.  Long live the Mac, Linux, iPhone, Android and webOS.
    Long live proprietary software, indeed!

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

corona_coder said:
    brian.shapiro said:
    *snip*

That's because Windows Mobile has a codebase thats more than a decade old. Windows also has an old codebase that Microsoft keeps having to update and provide legacy support for, in addition to having to support many more devices than Apple does.

The only reason Apple is succeeding in being fresh and shiny is because its new products have been made from scratch, after Microsoft already had products on the market for years; OSX is a new OS compared to Windows, iPhone is a new device compared to Windows Mobile. Apple also has more control over the hardware, they were also able to learn from Microsoft's mistakes.

Saying "Microsoft coders suck" is something a child would say.

• User profile image
    fknight

corona_coder said:
    brian.shapiro said:
    *snip*

Proprietary non-open standards are okay when they're from Apple, then?

Incidentally, I haven't seen a fracking blue screen since Windows 2000.   Why don't you just give up?  It's obvious you haven't even seen a Windows box since around 1998, which you probably assembled from parts you found in a dumpster.

I won't bother to ask you to prove that Microsoft is OMFG SPYING ON ME when I use Windows because you'll just ignore the question and hope people forget you made the claim.  

Please, can't you come up with something NEW other than "Microsoft is spying"  and "OMG bluescreens!"  You look fracking stupid.

It is because of people like you that whenever I'm asked (very, very rarely) about Linux, I tell them to steer clear of it because the only help they will get is from a bunch of assholes who haven't gotten past age 15.

• User profile image
    stevo_

corona_coder said:
    brian.shapiro said:
    *snip*

Ooo eck he's going off the rails again, keep pushing him Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Duanerrr

corona_coder said:
    brian.shapiro said:
    *snip*

I just wanted to thank you for posting on this forum corona_coder. You bring rays of sunshine that warm my heart when I read your posts and comments. Your insightful view of the software world, free or otherwise, is also refreshing.

I respect you for promoting gNewSense but  I am confused with your last post. You seem to be very big on laying Microsoft low for being evil and spying on their customers while giving a long live to Apple.

• User profile image
    littleguru

corona_coder said:
    brian.shapiro said:
    *snip*

And Linux, OSX have kernel panics... so what?

Mac OSX is also more and more in the needs of AV software - just wait for it. Apple already has already AV sofware listed on their website. Once Linux becomes (if ever) a main stream OS it is also in the need for a AVs. Btw. at the security class at univ we only "hacked" and "infected" UNIX based OSes. Since then all the stuff that you, corona, are saying, about security in UNIX seems so ridiculous to me. It's as infectable as everything else... as long as you run a software that has bugs a backdoor might probably exist.

With UAC activated in Windows Vista/7 you can do exactly as much as if you crack a UNIX system open under a normal user account...

• User profile image
    corona_coder

fknight said:
    corona_coder said:
    *snip*
    Proprietary non-open standards are okay when they're from Apple, then?

Incidentally, I haven't seen a fracking blue screen since Windows 2000.   Why don't you just give up?  It's obvious you haven't even seen a Windows box since around 1998, which you probably assembled from parts you found in a dumpster.

I won't bother to ask you to prove that Microsoft is OMFG SPYING ON ME when I use Windows because you'll just ignore the question and hope people forget you made the claim.  

Please, can't you come up with something NEW other than "Microsoft is spying"  and "OMG bluescreens!"  You look fracking stupid.

It is because of people like you that whenever I'm asked (very, very rarely) about Linux, I tell them to steer clear of it because the only help they will get is from a bunch of assholes who haven't gotten past age 15.

When you use a Windows box and you activate, thats giving Microsoft a door to your computer.  When you do automatic upadtes Microsoft can harvest anything out of your system that they want.  Why do you think updating takes so long on Windows?  Microsofts data digging.  When you upgrade your gNewSense PC its almost instant.  There is no long periods to see "whats on your computer"  Does Apple have activation schemes?  Even when people are hacking their OS everyday.  Does Linux?  No.  Thats because Microsoft is cahooting with the government.  Barack Obama knows what you are doing everyday of your lives because of your usage of Windows Vista and soon the high dollar replacement Windows 7.

• User profile image
    Dodo

littleguru said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*
    Like in Coke Zero? I went back to XP also a while ago... just in the VM but I did it because I had to support stuff. Man was it hard to find stuff. I'm so used to my desktop search now.

Also, if I speak with my grand parents they complain about the new phones that are available in this world, like mobile phones and stuff. So complicated etc. Take my cousin with 10 years. She plays with them and has no issues at all... who's wrong?

Don't get me wrong: change isn't appropriate all the time. But not changing / improving / enhancing / removing / etc. means to stand still, which in the end means to fall back because everyone else marches forward. Perhaps an intermediate mode where you get a migration guide, which video tutorials or something would help?
    Sometimes change isn't change, but changing the behaviour of changing itself. Sometimes it helps to take a break, and then get back to where you just were, have a second look and think about it. Changing things is necessary and important. What matters, though is how much, and what, not time. Time won't take a break, it'll constantly change. I like time. Smiley

• User profile image
    corona_coder

littleguru said:
    corona_coder said:
    *snip*
    And Linux, OSX have kernel panics... so what?

Mac OSX is also more and more in the needs of AV software - just wait for it. Apple already has already AV sofware listed on their website. Once Linux becomes (if ever) a main stream OS it is also in the need for a AVs. Btw. at the security class at univ we only "hacked" and "infected" UNIX based OSes. Since then all the stuff that you, corona, are saying, about security in UNIX seems so ridiculous to me. It's as infectable as everything else... as long as you run a software that has bugs a backdoor might probably exist.

With UAC activated in Windows Vista/7 you can do exactly as much as if you crack a UNIX system open under a normal user account...
    All the AV software that exists for Linux and Mac OS X is to protect WINDOWS users from ge3tting mail sent through mail servers that run OS X and GNU/Linux.  Linux and Mac OS X are literally IMMUNE to viruses and Malware.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

corona_coder said:
    littleguru said:
    *snip*
    All the AV software that exists for Linux and Mac OS X is to protect WINDOWS users from ge3tting mail sent through mail servers that run OS X and GNU/Linux.  Linux and Mac OS X are literally IMMUNE to viruses and Malware.
    I hear that if you run "rm -rf ~" in a terminal window, cute bunnies will appear on your screen.

(Oooh, I just wrote a Linux trojan Tongue Out)

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

corona_coder said:
    fknight said:
    *snip*
    When you use a Windows box and you activate, thats giving Microsoft a door to your computer.  When you do automatic upadtes Microsoft can harvest anything out of your system that they want.  Why do you think updating takes so long on Windows?  Microsofts data digging.  When you upgrade your gNewSense PC its almost instant.  There is no long periods to see "whats on your computer"  Does Apple have activation schemes?  Even when people are hacking their OS everyday.  Does Linux?  No.  Thats because Microsoft is cahooting with the government.  Barack Obama knows what you are doing everyday of your lives because of your usage of Windows Vista and soon the high dollar replacement Windows 7.
    Apple doesn't have an activation scheme, because they're not as much interested in piracy. You need to buy their machine to use their software--even if that's not a technical requirement.

You're looking for very complex explanations in simple things

• User profile image
    littleguru

corona_coder said:
    littleguru said:
    *snip*
    Oh yeah... these hords and hords of OSX powered mail servers - don't start being ridiculous. And you never read this? http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/12/01/apple_now_encourages_antivirus_use_for_mac_os_x.html

• User profile image
    Erisan

Windows 7 has worked pretty ok on my computer. Actually the only problem has been that Windows doesn't recognize my monitor and therefore the resolution is really bad and fonts looks awful. Performance is ok (AMD64 3200+ 2GHz, 1G RAM). I'm pretty sure that I'm going to buy Windows 7.

Well, must admit there's tons of features and flexibility that I miss (or can't be without) from Linux so I couldn't consider use Windows 7 as my main OS.

• User profile image
    Charles

Erisan said:
    Windows 7 has worked pretty ok on my computer. Actually the only problem has been that Windows doesn't recognize my monitor and therefore the resolution is really bad and fonts looks awful. Performance is ok (AMD64 3200+ 2GHz, 1G RAM). I'm pretty sure that I'm going to buy Windows 7.

Well, must admit there's tons of features and flexibility that I miss (or can't be without) from Linux so I couldn't consider use Windows 7 as my main OS.
    You probably just need to install a display adapter driver for your device. Windows 7 beta does not ship with all known drivers so your system is using the generic class driver so you can see pixel colonies on your screen at a default resolution... You could try to install the Vista version of the driver for your display. Could very well work...

C

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.