57 posts

Windows 7 gripes

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    figuerres

corona_coder said:
    littleguru said:
    *snip*
    All the AV software that exists for Linux and Mac OS X is to protect WINDOWS users from ge3tting mail sent through mail servers that run OS X and GNU/Linux.  Linux and Mac OS X are literally IMMUNE to viruses and Malware.
    wow that's rich.... so you do know that a *LOT* of viral / trojan stuff has been on UNIX boxes before.... there is ZERO proof it will not happen again.... try challenging your Linux pals to write one....

just that right now the fun is owning windows boxes...

give it time...

• User profile image
    joechung

One gripe I have heard about Windows 7 is from a user who is (more or less) satisfied with Windows Vista and has a strong enough PC not to have performance issues with it.  His complaint was that it wasn't "different" enough from Vista to warrant upgrading. To him, it felt more like a service pack than a new Windows version. This attitude is reflected in the Windows team's rather baffling decision to label Windows 7 version 6.1, and one can't help but wonder if Windows 7 is what Windows Vista "should have been" two years ago.

We're almost but not quite out of the long shadow of Longhorn...

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

joechung said:

One gripe I have heard about Windows 7 is from a user who is (more or less) satisfied with Windows Vista and has a strong enough PC not to have performance issues with it.  His complaint was that it wasn't "different" enough from Vista to warrant upgrading. To him, it felt more like a service pack than a new Windows version. This attitude is reflected in the Windows team's rather baffling decision to label Windows 7 version 6.1, and one can't help but wonder if Windows 7 is what Windows Vista "should have been" two years ago.

Well, Windows XP is Windows version 5.1 (Windows 2000 was 5.0) and no one complains that it should just have been a service pack for Windows 2000.  The lack of a bump in the major version number just indicates that there weren't as many changes made to the core system (kernel, driver model, hardware subsystems, etc.) as there were in the releases where the major version number did change.

For example, Vista was really a release focusing on the Windows core rather than on superficial, user-visible stuff.  Vista got lots of kernel improvements, a new video driver model, radical changes to the audio subsystem, and a brand new security model (whether you like UAC or not, you must admit that it's different than what was there before).  This meant that Vista became Windows 6.0.  Windows 7 just builds on the basis that Vista laid--  yes, there are performance improvements in many places, and there are lots of user-visible UI changes, but the kinds of radical change seen in some areas of Vista aren't there, so it does not get a new major version number.

• User profile image
    Erisan

Charles said:
    Erisan said:
    *snip*
    You probably just need to install a display adapter driver for your device. Windows 7 beta does not ship with all known drivers so your system is using the generic class driver so you can see pixel colonies on your screen at a default resolution... You could try to install the Vista version of the driver for your display. Could very well work...

C
    Yes the driver worked well. "Problem" was too strong word I used. The monitor was the only device that wasn't recognized "out of the box".

• User profile image
    Cream​Filling512

joechung said:

I'm pretty sure its called 6.1 internally for compatibility reasons.  You'd be surprised how many things cease working when the major version number gets changed.

• User profile image
    Erisan

Erisan said:
    Charles said:
    *snip*
    Yes the driver worked well. "Problem" was too strong word I used. The monitor was the only device that wasn't recognized "out of the box".
    Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Mark Shuttleworth likes Windows 7: Ubuntu's Shuttleworth praises Windows 7, welcomes fight

• User profile image
    Sabot

I'm I right in assuming that Vista drivers are cool for use with Windows 7?

Also, I believe nothing in the technology space is free, somehow someone pays. With Linux I paid some good bucks on support but the software cost me little, yep I could have researched the answer myself but then the cost would have been my time and I'm not into learning commands that much. With Windows, in-effect the support was paid upfront so you could argue that they balance out in the end just chose which you prefer as ultimately the choice of OS is down to preference.

• User profile image
    Erisan

Sabot said:

Also, I believe nothing in the technology space is free, somehow someone pays. With Linux I paid some good bucks on support but the software cost me little, yep I could have researched the answer myself but then the cost would have been my time and I'm not into learning commands that much. With Windows, in-effect the support was paid upfront so you could argue that they balance out in the end just chose which you prefer as ultimately the choice of OS is down to preference.
    Yes, as far as i have heard most of vista drivers should work on Windows 7. I have only experience with one driver and it worked ok.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Erisan said:
    Sabot said:
    *snip*
    Yes, as far as i have heard most of vista drivers should work on Windows 7. I have only experience with one driver and it worked ok.
    I had to use several Vista drivers to get Windows 7 up and running and most driver installs except for one, the Intel Graphics driver all worked OK.  I couldnt get the resolution out of that laptop that I had with Vista.   Wireless controllers, etc. seem to all work OK.

• User profile image
    fknight

corona_coder said:
    fknight said:
    *snip*
    When you use a Windows box and you activate, thats giving Microsoft a door to your computer.  When you do automatic upadtes Microsoft can harvest anything out of your system that they want.  Why do you think updating takes so long on Windows?  Microsofts data digging.  When you upgrade your gNewSense PC its almost instant.  There is no long periods to see "whats on your computer"  Does Apple have activation schemes?  Even when people are hacking their OS everyday.  Does Linux?  No.  Thats because Microsoft is cahooting with the government.  Barack Obama knows what you are doing everyday of your lives because of your usage of Windows Vista and soon the high dollar replacement Windows 7.
    So, Windows Update being "slow" is proof that Microsoft is spying on me and data harvesting and that Barack Obama is interested in this information?  With your evidentiary research skills, I guarantee you couldn't prove that water is wet if your life depended on it.  

I don't know what the hell your problem is, or what the problem is with the rest of you people who advocate Linux that act like you.  You seriously have an emotional problem that needs to be checked out.  You use an operating system and then go on the Internet pissed off that other people are using a different one.  Your ilk accuses people who don't think Microsoft is Satan as being paid shills for Microsoft because for some reason you have it stuck in your little brain that "no one can possibly use a Microsoft product without it having problems" so naturally you beleive that people who don't have a problem with Windows are being paid by Microsoft.  

Furthermore, you and others like you refer to people who don't use Linux (and in your particular case, your preferred distribution) as "stupid", "trained sheep", "shills", and "people who shouldn't be allowed near a computer."  You're like fracking 9/11 Truthers who believe Dick Cheney used a remote control to take down the Twin Towers.

You make me sick and it sickens me even more that technical "journals" and tech media take you 12 year olds seriously because it gets them web hits.  

It is sick.  You need help.  You have a mental problem.  A fracking computer program is a religion to you.  You have a serious problem and you need to have it looked at by a trained therapist, as well as the rest of your little fan club/religious cult over a fracking computer program.  

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

fknight said:
    corona_coder said:
    *snip*
    So, Windows Update being "slow" is proof that Microsoft is spying on me and data harvesting and that Barack Obama is interested in this information?  With your evidentiary research skills, I guarantee you couldn't prove that water is wet if your life depended on it.  

I don't know what the hell your problem is, or what the problem is with the rest of you people who advocate Linux that act like you.  You seriously have an emotional problem that needs to be checked out.  You use an operating system and then go on the Internet pissed off that other people are using a different one.  Your ilk accuses people who don't think Microsoft is Satan as being paid shills for Microsoft because for some reason you have it stuck in your little brain that "no one can possibly use a Microsoft product without it having problems" so naturally you beleive that people who don't have a problem with Windows are being paid by Microsoft.  

Furthermore, you and others like you refer to people who don't use Linux (and in your particular case, your preferred distribution) as "stupid", "trained sheep", "shills", and "people who shouldn't be allowed near a computer."  You're like fracking 9/11 Truthers who believe Dick Cheney used a remote control to take down the Twin Towers.

You make me sick and it sickens me even more that technical "journals" and tech media take you 12 year olds seriously because it gets them web hits.  

It is sick.  You need help.  You have a mental problem.  A fracking computer program is a religion to you.  You have a serious problem and you need to have it looked at by a trained therapist, as well as the rest of your little fan club/religious cult over a fracking computer program.  
    There's nothing wrong with not liking activation or proprietary software. I'd advise corona_coder to look at things more realistically, though

• User profile image
    Charles

Sabot said:

In terms of Vista-compatible drivers working on Windows 7 I think it's fair to say that there's a very good chance that if the driver worked on Vista it will work on Windows 7. Of course, that's an oversimplification of reality and probably not always true. That said, I've installed a few Vista comptatible drivers on my Win7 box and have no problems. Remember, compatibility is HUGE.

C

• User profile image
    OnlyJack

fknight said:
    corona_coder said:
    *snip*

"It is sick.  You need help.  You have a mental problem.  A fracking computer program is a religion to you.  You have a serious problem and you need to have it looked at by a trained therapist, as well as the rest of your little fan club/religious cult over a fracking computer program."

Thanks for stating the obvious. corona_coder is our forum pet, we laugh at him when he writes those silly, ridiculous, unbelievably stupid posts and forgive ignore him when he misbehaves. It's hilarious to see him keeping such a low profile on c9, he usually gets mad far more easily on other forums but it's thanks to his self-inflicted domestication that he became our funny little lovable pet. We love you Chris, keep rocking!

• User profile image
    magicalclick

fknight said:
    corona_coder said:
    *snip*
    Proprietary non-open standards are okay when they're from Apple, then?

Incidentally, I haven't seen a fracking blue screen since Windows 2000.   Why don't you just give up?  It's obvious you haven't even seen a Windows box since around 1998, which you probably assembled from parts you found in a dumpster.

I won't bother to ask you to prove that Microsoft is OMFG SPYING ON ME when I use Windows because you'll just ignore the question and hope people forget you made the claim.  

Please, can't you come up with something NEW other than "Microsoft is spying"  and "OMG bluescreens!"  You look fracking stupid.

It is because of people like you that whenever I'm asked (very, very rarely) about Linux, I tell them to steer clear of it because the only help they will get is from a bunch of assholes who haven't gotten past age 15.

The only grip I have is that Windows7 Pre-Alpha does starts when I have a MyBook USB external HDD attached. I see the Windows7, but no progress bar, and dead. I can turn off HDD before start my PC, but I am too lazy to do that.

The Fat32 works for me. The drive was originally Fat32. Luckly I was copying 4GB+ file over and realize I need NTFS, otherwise it would a big pain reformat later on.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Duanerrr

OnlyJack said:
    fknight said:
    *snip*
    "It is sick.  You need help.  You have a mental problem.  A fracking computer program is a religion to you.  You have a serious problem and you need to have it looked at by a trained therapist, as well as the rest of your little fan club/religious cult over a fracking computer program."

Thanks for stating the obvious. corona_coder is our forum pet, we laugh at him when he writes those silly, ridiculous, unbelievably stupid posts and forgive ignore him when he misbehaves. It's hilarious to see him keeping such a low profile on c9, he usually gets mad far more easily on other forums but it's thanks to his self-inflicted domestication that he became our funny little lovable pet. We love you Chris, keep rocking!

That is an awesome post. I got a chuckle out it. I think the best part is the how some of the yours are missing the r.

• User profile image
    vesuvius

Duanerrr said:
    OnlyJack said:
    *snip*
    That is an awesome post. I got a chuckle out it. I think the best part is the how some of the yours are missing the r.

I am rather dissapointed in corona_coder. Yes we can, and do use strong language, but his incessant, vituperitive, and unremittingly abusive post leaves me never ever wanting to respond to his thoughts in any forum.

I mean, diminishing RJ's mother? There really is no excuse for this!

The real funny thing, is just how easy it is for humans to notice other humans writing styles, and that is definitely corona_coder. If I were you Chris, I would delete that post.

English is full of such beauty, eloquence and expressiveness, even when displaying disapprobation. as you were in that post.

Till then, you are and will remain a pillock in my view.

• User profile image
    Bas

Duanerrr said:
    OnlyJack said:
    *snip*
    I love how angry and frustrated it sounds. It's like a child that just can't win and blows off steam by writing off his frustrations in his diary. Except of course that he made this public.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

vesuvius said:
    Duanerrr said:
    *snip*

I am rather dissapointed in corona_coder. Yes we can, and do use strong language, but his incessant, vituperitive, and unremittingly abusive post leaves me never ever wanting to respond to his thoughts in any forum.

I mean, diminishing RJ's mother? There really is no excuse for this!

The real funny thing, is just how easy it is for humans to notice other humans writing styles, and that is definitely corona_coder. If I were you Chris, I would delete that post.

English is full of such beauty, eloquence and expressiveness, even when displaying disapprobation. as you were in that post.

Till then, you are and will remain a pillock in my view.

Bonus points for using vituperate in a sentence. Tongue Out

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.