Coffeehouse Thread

34 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Thank you Mark Shuttleworth and a slight PC/OS update

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ray7

    Bass said:
    littleguru said:
    *snip*
    Well I think the OLPC was the "first" netbook in a way, although it wasn't for sale. It's clear to me that the EEE PC was inspired by it.
    ... and interestingly enough, the makers eventually cracked under real world pressure and had to get Windows running on it.

    ... and that still wasn't enough to save it.


  • User profile image
    Ray7

    What?

    Seriously?

    Someone wanted you to die of Syphilis because you said Windows7 was okay?

    Surely not.

  • User profile image
    Bass

    Ray7 said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*
    Nope.  Netbooks are a mistake.  For Linux they're a temporary relief at best.  The reasons why Windows doesn't run well on Netbooks will be solved by Windows7 and once MS drops the price for Netbook installs, then we will be back to square one. This is exactly the same mistake that they make time after time, and I think we'll see it again with home servers now that Microsoft seems to have a pretty good solution that beats any Linux based system for ease of use and versatility.

    I would like to see a lot more effort in small, dedicated devices because that's where the future is, and that's where MS is weakest. I'd like to see the community get behind the Pre, but of course they won't because someone will come up with one little reason why it doesn't comform to the Stallman dream, and they'll pack their toys and go home. Might not be a bad thing though because I think the Pre needs developers who are more consumer focussed than your typical Linux developer.

    Anyway, netbooks are just laptops with bits missing, and with everyone bar Apple reducing laptop prices, I don't think they're a particularly good long term bet.



    Netbooks really got Microsoft with their pants down holding up an OS on life support that was suppose to be long dead. Windows 7, the savior. Windows 7, it'll fix everything. It's seems to be the big promise. But all I can really talk about is right now. Right now Windows sales are doing poorly, Microsoft is out 5000 employeees and MSFT stock is just dismal (Apple is doing just fine by the way, still hiring). Right now we got a new president here in the USA using the words "open source" a little too much and a little too fast. But we will see. Windows 7 is suppose to be the life saver which will maintain the eroding Windows status quo. All I will say: we will see. I have no crystal ball and neither do you. Smiley


    "Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose." -- Bill Gates

    And with that inspirational quote, I am out of this thread! I think I might get a short break at least this place cool down, hopefully Channel 9 will still be here when I get back.

  • User profile image
    Bas

    Bass said:
    Ray7 said:
    *snip*
    Netbooks really got Microsoft with their pants down holding up an OS on life support that was suppose to be long dead. Windows 7, the savior. Windows 7, it'll fix everything. It's seems to be the big promise. But all I can really talk about is right now. Right now Windows sales are doing poorly, Microsoft is out 5000 employeees and MSFT stock is just dismal (Apple is doing just fine by the way, still hiring). Right now we got a new president here in the USA using the words "open source" a little too much and a little too fast. But we will see. Windows 7 is suppose to be the life saver which will maintain the eroding Windows status quo. All I will say: we will see. I have no crystal ball and neither do you. Smiley


    "Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose." -- Bill Gates

    And with that inspirational quote, I am out of this thread! I think I might get a short break at least this place cool down, hopefully Channel 9 will still be here when I get back.
    But all I can really talk about is right now. Right now server sales are strong, Microsoft is out 1400 employeees and MSFT stock is just dismal (Apple stock drops as soon as their CEO gets a cold).


    Fixed that for you.

    Presenting only the facts that support your argument is fun! Big Smile

  • User profile image
    Ray7

    Bas said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*


    Fixed that for you.

    Presenting only the facts that support your argument is fun! Big Smile
    Man who wears Steve Jobs face - gets panties in a bunch very easily

    Old Cupertino proverb.


  • User profile image
    AndyC

    Bass said:
    I find most interesting in the link you posted the claim that Microsoft is giving away Windows XP for free to netbook OEMs. It seems Microsoft will go to all ends (including harming themselves) to keep Linux off of computers. Ubuntu is self-sustaining even being free of charge, but will Windows be? I really really doubt it. This is a dangerous game Microsoft is playing.
    The idea that Microsoft "gives away" Windows XP is clearly ridiculous. Comparing prices to retail Vista costs shows a lack of understanding of how the OEM sales model works. Hint for those a little slow: the majority cost of any IT system is after sales support.

  • User profile image
    Bass

    AndyC said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*
    The idea that Microsoft "gives away" Windows XP is clearly ridiculous. Comparing prices to retail Vista costs shows a lack of understanding of how the OEM sales model works. Hint for those a little slow: the majority cost of any IT system is after sales support.
    I don't think it's ridiculous at all. Microsoft would rather gave away Windows for free then have Linux get any gains in the market. That actually makes a bit of sense. Anyway Mark Shuttleworth is probably in a better position to talk about this kind of stuff then anyone here, since he actually does deals with OEMs himself. So I wouldn't know for sure if he is right, but I believe him.

  • User profile image
    AndyC

    Bass said:
    AndyC said:
    *snip*
    I don't think it's ridiculous at all. Microsoft would rather gave away Windows for free then have Linux get any gains in the market. That actually makes a bit of sense. Anyway Mark Shuttleworth is probably in a better position to talk about this kind of stuff then anyone here, since he actually does deals with OEMs himself. So I wouldn't know for sure if he is right, but I believe him.
    Of course it is. Windows XP is still the biggest competitor to Windows Vista. You simply don't undercut yourself, unless you're an idiot.

  • User profile image
    Bass

    Bas said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*


    Fixed that for you.

    Presenting only the facts that support your argument is fun! Big Smile
    Yeah isn't it? You know what is fun? Beer pong.

  • User profile image
    Bass

    AndyC said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*
    Of course it is. Windows XP is still the biggest competitor to Windows Vista. You simply don't undercut yourself, unless you're an idiot.
    It's not without precedent at all. Microsoft gives Windows for free to students via their MSDNAA program. Microsoft gives a pack that includes Windows and MS Office for $3 to developing countries. Microsoft is perfectly capable of giving away Windows if it serves them strategically. It's in Microsoft's best interests that Windows maintains the desktop, and this goes beyond selling Windows licenses.

  • User profile image
    PerfectPhase

    Bass said:
    AndyC said:
    *snip*
    It's not without precedent at all. Microsoft gives Windows for free to students via their MSDNAA program. Microsoft gives a pack that includes Windows and MS Office for $3 to developing countries. Microsoft is perfectly capable of giving away Windows if it serves them strategically. It's in Microsoft's best interests that Windows maintains the desktop, and this goes beyond selling Windows licenses.

    Or the Action Pack, that's as good as free for what's in it!

  • User profile image
    Bass

    PerfectPhase said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*

    Or the Action Pack, that's as good as free for what's in it!
    The Action Pack would be more popular if it came with action figures of Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer.

  • User profile image
    AndyC

    Bass said:
    AndyC said:
    *snip*
    It's not without precedent at all. Microsoft gives Windows for free to students via their MSDNAA program. Microsoft gives a pack that includes Windows and MS Office for $3 to developing countries. Microsoft is perfectly capable of giving away Windows if it serves them strategically. It's in Microsoft's best interests that Windows maintains the desktop, and this goes beyond selling Windows licenses.
    Bass said:
    Microsoft gives Windows for free to students via their MSDNAA program.

    Nope. Member departments have to pay for the privilege. It may not be very much, but then neither are OEM bulk licences for Vista as organised by Dell etc, or corporate Volume Licences.

  • User profile image
    ZippyV

    AndyC said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*

    Nope. Member departments have to pay for the privilege. It may not be very much, but then neither are OEM bulk licences for Vista as organised by Dell etc, or corporate Volume Licences.
    MSDNAA is free in Belgium.

  • User profile image
    Bass

    AndyC said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*

    Nope. Member departments have to pay for the privilege. It may not be very much, but then neither are OEM bulk licences for Vista as organised by Dell etc, or corporate Volume Licences.
    Depends how you get MSDNAA. If you go on the website yourself and register they will charge you a $3000 fee or something (this only applies in certain countries). But if your school is served by people with titles as "Microsoft Student Partner", or "Academic Technical Evangelist", even in the USA you can probably set up a deal where your school pays exactly $0 for the subscription. Microsoft would most rather your school pay the $3000 fee, but also, they rather your school be part of MSDNAA even for free, then start using tools like gcc and Linux in CS courses.

    If you somehow can't get MSDNAA for free, there is always "Dreamspark" which is completely free no matter what.

    Anyway I think I have safely shown that it's not unheard of for Microsoft to give away software for free, especially when it serves their strategic interests. Since writing software is almost entirely a capital expense. Keeping Linux off netbooks is in their strategic interest, they would likewise would give away Windows for free if that would aid in their domination of this platform.

  • User profile image
    rjdohnert

    Ray7 said:
    What?

    Seriously?

    Someone wanted you to die of Syphilis because you said Windows7 was okay?

    Surely not.

    Bet.  Yeah they did.  It went on this long tirade.  It was funny, yet sad, yet distubing.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.