Coffeehouse Thread

83 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Apples beats estimates - MS cuts 5000 jobs

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

littleguru said:
    @jamie: what's your answer if I tell you that people tell me they don't know why to switch from Vista to 7 because there is NO change in the UI? I literally got: "it looks the same, why should I change, I'm happy with Vista"...

@jamie2: I agree with you that the explorer could have more icons. I'm not a big fan of these endless lines of text either! Icons allow to quickly find stuff. You have me 100% here!

@All: could it also be that apples marketing is just WAY better? Ipods and Macs have issues... but people don't seem to whine so much about then compared to PC users... is it probably that the Apple marketing is better to excite people so that issues are weighted less because of all the other cool features?

@Win 7 beta testers: I filed the icons request. If you agree with me, please vote on it at https://connect.microsoft.com/windows7/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=403872 - Thanks.

re: @jamie: what's your answer if I tell you that people tell me they don't know why to switch from Vista to 7 because there is NO change in the UI? I literally got: "it looks the same, why should I change, I'm happy with Vista"...

Youre refering to the 20% (vista to 7)

Im refering to the 80% that never ever went to Vista.

Im just pointing out what my friends point out.
    Nothing wrong with liking XP's best features

• User profile image
    littleguru

jamie said:
    littleguru said:
    *snip*

re: @jamie: what's your answer if I tell you that people tell me they don't know why to switch from Vista to 7 because there is NO change in the UI? I literally got: "it looks the same, why should I change, I'm happy with Vista"...

Youre refering to the 20% (vista to 7)

Im refering to the 80% that never ever went to Vista.

Im just pointing out what my friends point out.
    Nothing wrong with liking XP's best features

How many of them actually tried Vista? Seriously. I got so many people saying Vista sucked and they NEVER tried it.

• User profile image
    jamie

blowdart said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*
    Aside from the expense of it, and the fact that the market is saturated and upgrades don't happen as often?

Even so that's beside the point. It's tasteless to point a finger and laugh at people who have just had their life upset, either directly or by watching others go through it. It's thoughtless to do it on a Microsoft hosted forum.
    there is nothing funny about the Ballmer Administration.

• User profile image
    blowdart

jamie said:
    blowdart said:
    *snip*
    there is nothing funny about the Ballmer Administration.
    Wow. Just wow. Your ego won't allow you to admit you could be in the wrong will it?

• User profile image
    jamie

littleguru said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*

How many of them actually tried Vista? Seriously. I got so many people saying Vista sucked and they NEVER tried it.

both.  im just using 2 friends as an example: brother - musician .. removed it. checked out 7 - not interested. and norm - sign guy - 8 machines - tried it .. couldnt get anything done. "too different"  "things missing"

• User profile image
    jamie

blowdart said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*
    Wow. Just wow. Your ego won't allow you to admit you could be in the wrong will it?
    when i read ms is cutting jobs and market share is  continuing going down - i post why i  think it may be happening.
    I dont nitpick on what other people think why it may be happening

edit: and i still havent heard anything constructive as to what you would do to improve market share = jobs

• User profile image
    Sabot

littleguru said:
    @jamie: what's your answer if I tell you that people tell me they don't know why to switch from Vista to 7 because there is NO change in the UI? I literally got: "it looks the same, why should I change, I'm happy with Vista"...

@jamie2: I agree with you that the explorer could have more icons. I'm not a big fan of these endless lines of text either! Icons allow to quickly find stuff. You have me 100% here!

@All: could it also be that apples marketing is just WAY better? Ipods and Macs have issues... but people don't seem to whine so much about then compared to PC users... is it probably that the Apple marketing is better to excite people so that issues are weighted less because of all the other cool features?

@Win 7 beta testers: I filed the icons request. If you agree with me, please vote on it at https://connect.microsoft.com/windows7/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=403872 - Thanks.
    ... and Intel, who both Microsoft and Apple use, is">http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7844232.stm">is shedding 6000 jobs.

Job losses in this climate aren't always about how well a company is doing now. It's more about what a company is going to do next. Looking at the list of jobs Microsoft is getting rid of it's obvious to me that they are getting rid of jobs that help the company grow, so the prediction is that Microsoft aren't intending to grow much in the next 12-18 months.

Apple are at the top of their game right now, the tough conditions haven't hit them yet ... but there kit is expensive ... so getting people to part with their money for a new machine is going to get harder this year.

The trend for PC's is rushing into Netbooks right now, this is a growth market and Apple don't have a Netbook option so they could get caught out if they don't adapt.

• User profile image
    esoteric

"paint" 

- Not so hard, Jamie  Wink

The quicklaunch is not such a big miss really - except maybe the ability to configure that running applications are always kept adjacent in the taskbar.

• User profile image
    jamie

esoteric said:
      "paint" 

- Not so hard, Jamie  Wink

The quicklaunch is not such a big miss really - except maybe the ability to configure that running applications are always kept adjacent in the taskbar.
    Smiley

* on a big monitor / multiple mon - the removal of desktop toolbars (leaving only 1) is not a good idea.  Good thing i have rocket dock on the bottom (the ONLY thing i like about a mac - all icons - no text - no bars))

last - everything above is not the answer - but it might help 10 more percent make the switch.  70% to go.  ideas?

• User profile image
    Bass

jamie,

Microsoft is feeling real pressure from Linux and from Mac OS X on their core products. But really Microsoft has no way to go but straight down. When you have such a high marketshare that's just the way it is..

• User profile image
    jamie

Bass said:
    jamie,

Microsoft is feeling real pressure from Linux and from Mac OS X on their core products. But really Microsoft has no way to go but straight down. When you have such a high marketshare that's just the way it is..

Gartner: Blame Vista for Microsoft layoffs

• User profile image
    joechung

jamie said:
    Don't blame Vista.  Blame the Longhorn reboot.

• User profile image
    Bass

jamie said:
    Yeah I agree, I think the (some people would say "marketing") failure of Vista is a big reason why Microsoft is doing so bad. Vista really helped Linux for the first time in it's history get a foothold on OEM computers, it wouldn't have been possible without it.

But really Microsoft primary mode of business is maintaining a monopoly marketshare, and that looks like it starting to break down. Without a monopoly could Microsoft actually survive? I don't think so.

• User profile image
    jamie

Bass said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*
    Yeah I agree, I think the (some people would say "marketing") failure of Vista is a big reason why Microsoft is doing so bad. Vista really helped Linux for the first time in it's history get a foothold on OEM computers, it wouldn't have been possible without it.

But really Microsoft primary mode of business is maintaining a monopoly marketshare, and that looks like it starting to break down. Without a monopoly could Microsoft actually survive? I don't think so.
    i just look at a very simple equation:

windows 7 should take after:

1.  the most successful and widely used OS in history

2. A market failure

it is indeed closer (blue is back - sort of)  but 7 is still too vista-ish

*also dont forget for reference - the "Simple vs Easy" and the "UI downfall of MS" articles

• User profile image
    Bass

jamie said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*
    i just look at a very simple equation:

windows 7 should take after:

1.  the most successful and widely used OS in history

2. A market failure

it is indeed closer (blue is back - sort of)  but 7 is still too vista-ish

*also dont forget for reference - the "Simple vs Easy" and the "UI downfall of MS" articles
    No operating system Microsoft will ever put out will be more of a "market success" then Windows 95 was. Windows 95 made the Windows monopoly. All Windows 7 could possibly do is "maintain" the status quo.

But anyway I don't think Windows 7 will reverse the downward trend of Windows's dominance. I think in the future OEMs will have a much bigger part in the development of software, kind of like how it was before the Windows monopoly. Stuff like the HP Mini netbook and Dell netbooks are evidence of this.

• User profile image
    jamie

Bass said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*
    No operating system Microsoft will ever put out will be more of a "market success" then Windows 95 was. Windows 95 made the Windows monopoly. All Windows 7 could possibly do is "maintain" the status quo.

But anyway I don't think Windows 7 will reverse the downward trend of Windows's dominance. I think in the future OEMs will have a much bigger part in the development of software, kind of like how it was before the Windows monopoly. Stuff like the HP Mini netbook and Dell netbooks are evidence of this.
    i agree - but to many - XP was the final - 98se + 2000 done right OS.

*didnt like luna? there were REAL themes.

maybe it was just too good. 

*there are some who think that new coke was just a ploy all along - take away coke???  oh here it is back!

Im just saying bring back Coke.   Then you can work on the remaining things people have issues with:
    Versions, pricing, WGA.  Personally ive given up going on about those.  I just want Coke back. - and yes they are - sort of getting there

• User profile image
    Bass

jamie said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*
    i agree - but to many - XP was the final - 98se + 2000 done right OS.

*didnt like luna? there were REAL themes.

maybe it was just too good. 

*there are some who think that new coke was just a ploy all along - take away coke???  oh here it is back!

Im just saying bring back Coke.   Then you can work on the remaining things people have issues with:
    Versions, pricing, WGA.  Personally ive given up going on about those.  I just want Coke back. - and yes they are - sort of getting there
    Yeah XP was a nice OS (really it wasn't much different then Windows 2k), but from a market perspective I think Windows 95 was far more important. Here are my ranking:

Biggest impact business wise: Windows 95
    Worst impact business wise: Windows Vista

Best technologically: Windows 2000
    Worst technologically: Windows ME

• User profile image
    dazla-d

jamie said:
    blowdart said:
    *snip*
    you have a better explanation for windows continuing loss of market share (and not just cause of netbooks)?

love to hear it.
    The explanation is that market GROWTH for PC's has significantly slowed due to less money being available mainly in the consumer market.

Most, in fact nearly all, new PC's run Windows. Slowing of PC growth means slowing of Windows sales. Changes in a PRE-RELEASED version of Windows will have absolutely zero impact on Windows revenue, y'know?

And slowing of PC growth is only a factor, not the whole answer. But on the flipside, S&T growth increased - S&T is the products corporations buy to help them reduce costs and save money.

Duh.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.