83 posts

Apples beats estimates - MS cuts 5000 jobs

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

dazla-d said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*
    The explanation is that market GROWTH for PC's has significantly slowed due to less money being available mainly in the consumer market.

Most, in fact nearly all, new PC's run Windows. Slowing of PC growth means slowing of Windows sales. Changes in a PRE-RELEASED version of Windows will have absolutely zero impact on Windows revenue, y'know?

And slowing of PC growth is only a factor, not the whole answer. But on the flipside, S&T growth increased - S&T is the products corporations buy to help them reduce costs and save money.

Duh.
    yes i guess that explains it.

if you ignore only 20% business adoption 

if you ignore uptake only on regular - pc unit (forced) adoption (not many willing upgrades)

and if you ignore the 4 articles I linked too.

duh

edit - sorry.  i really dont like fighting with 9ers.  just arguing with them Smiley

• User profile image
    jamie

jamie said:
    vesuvius said:
    *snip*
    i think classic is in 7 somewhere  (cant find it again)

but its luna back to classic
    vista back to luna back to classic
    thats the one thats missing
    ps - how do you get to classic in 7 again?  (just to check something)
    *im not a classic user... i still think it should be there though

• User profile image
    dazla-d

jamie said:
    dazla-d said:
    *snip*
    yes i guess that explains it.

if you ignore only 20% business adoption 

if you ignore uptake only on regular - pc unit (forced) adoption (not many willing upgrades)

and if you ignore the 4 articles I linked too.

duh

edit - sorry.  i really dont like fighting with 9ers.  just arguing with them Smiley
    Business adoption and Windows revenue are not the same - most business don't buy new windows versions, they have the rights to use it within their volume agreements. Adoption and revenue are not the same, in the short term. Renewing agreements can be linked to revenue, but it is too early for Vista to have an impact there.

Check out the history as to how many people actually pay to upgrade Windows vs buy a new PC with the latest Windows on it. Very few, it's an edge case. Did you pay to upgrade to whatever you're running, or did you buy a new PC?

in terms of getting to be a classic user - why not go fish out a w9x PC off ebay and have lots of retro fun, huh

• User profile image
    Jason I

littleguru said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*

How many of them actually tried Vista? Seriously. I got so many people saying Vista sucked and they NEVER tried it.

A better question would be - what compelling reason did average people have for paying for / trying Vista?

• User profile image
    jamie

dazla-d said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*
    Business adoption and Windows revenue are not the same - most business don't buy new windows versions, they have the rights to use it within their volume agreements. Adoption and revenue are not the same, in the short term. Renewing agreements can be linked to revenue, but it is too early for Vista to have an impact there.

Check out the history as to how many people actually pay to upgrade Windows vs buy a new PC with the latest Windows on it. Very few, it's an edge case. Did you pay to upgrade to whatever you're running, or did you buy a new PC?

in terms of getting to be a classic user - why not go fish out a w9x PC off ebay and have lots of retro fun, huh
    re:  in terms of getting to be a classic user - why not go fish out a w9x PC off ebay and have lots of retro fun, huh

nah - i could just re-load WMC - tory has been going on about how glad she is its back Wink

** im just wondering - how do you get to classic?  i know i tried it in 7  .. where did they move it?
    again - i dont use classic - but where is it?  i saw it once.. i think

• User profile image
    dazla-d

jamie said:
    dazla-d said:
    *snip*
    re:  in terms of getting to be a classic user - why not go fish out a w9x PC off ebay and have lots of retro fun, huh

nah - i could just re-load WMC - tory has been going on about how glad she is its back Wink

** im just wondering - how do you get to classic?  i know i tried it in 7  .. where did they move it?
    again - i dont use classic - but where is it?  i saw it once.. i think
    So your argument is now distilled away from the initial points and into your UI fetish. Hmmm. Nuff said I guess.

I'll go back to ignoring your incessant edge case UI grumbles. Sorry, mistook this thread for something with analysis and proof points as opposed to a flamethrower.

Q.E.D.

• User profile image
    jamie

dazla-d said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*
    So your argument is now distilled away from the initial points and into your UI fetish. Hmmm. Nuff said I guess.

I'll go back to ignoring your incessant edge case UI grumbles. Sorry, mistook this thread for something with analysis and proof points as opposed to a flamethrower.

Q.E.D.
    um no its not. i was just asking where is classic.  the rest stands.

• User profile image
    dazla-d

jamie said:
    dazla-d said:
    *snip*
    um no its not. i was just asking where is classic.  the rest stands.
    No the rest doesn't stand. Explain. I await the oracle of insight.

• User profile image
    littleguru

jamie said:
    littleguru said:
    *snip*
    both.  im just using 2 friends as an example: brother - musician .. removed it. checked out 7 - not interested. and norm - sign guy - 8 machines - tried it .. couldnt get anything done. "too different"  "things missing"
    Could you elaborate on "couldn't get anything done"?

• User profile image
    jamie

dazla-d said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*
    No the rest doesn't stand. Explain. I await the oracle of insight.
    Why thank you. (ill take that as a compliment)

What about above do you not understand?

Do you wish for me to list more possible barriers to full profitable windows adoption?

I can..

*<60's batman>..must...not...mention...windows... .com ....

• User profile image
    jamie

littleguru said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*
    Could you elaborate on "couldn't get anything done"?
    pictue 8 machines - all with 3 monitors each - toolbars meticulously set up on each to all network drives .. apps installed ... TOTAL xp full cutomization.

He tried to do it on vista - a) couldnt b) was confused by it c) didnt like it d) ok - some printers didnt work.. but he could have left those machine xp. Did not like network changes mainly. Could not find his way around as fast as xp

his comments.

(ps - as i am known to post on c9 he says all the time "tell them this!  or tell them that!

so i do.

• User profile image
    intelman

Microsoft needs to lower the price of Windows and Office.

I simply did not buy Office 2007 because "The Ultimate Steal" didn't work for me. They claim only one sale per household. My roommate got to the ultimate steal before I did. We have the same address... so Microsoft lost my sale.

Windows is too much money as well. We'll see how much we will have to pay for 3 years worth of upgrade. Vista = 5 years worth of upgrade for $319 still quite steep.

Lets face it, everyone wants ultimate because of the shadowcopying and un deleting.

Microsoft needs to make products that work, are attractive, fair priced, easy to obtain.

Alternatively, a decent office suite for 79 .
    An Ultimate non Upgrade OS for 129.

999 Macbook or an 2000 dollar Macbook Pro, same price as what I paid for my Inspiron 1520....

That route is looking good now. I can't stand the plastic, poor quality of my Dell, can't afford these software upgrades. I will spend the money for something I believe makes more sense. Microsoft can't compete for my business right now.

• User profile image
    littleguru

intelman said:
    Microsoft needs to lower the price of Windows and Office.

I simply did not buy Office 2007 because "The Ultimate Steal" didn't work for me. They claim only one sale per household. My roommate got to the ultimate steal before I did. We have the same address... so Microsoft lost my sale.

Windows is too much money as well. We'll see how much we will have to pay for 3 years worth of upgrade. Vista = 5 years worth of upgrade for $319 still quite steep.

Lets face it, everyone wants ultimate because of the shadowcopying and un deleting.

Microsoft needs to make products that work, are attractive, fair priced, easy to obtain.

Alternatively, a decent office suite for 79 .
    An Ultimate non Upgrade OS for 129.

999 Macbook or an 2000 dollar Macbook Pro, same price as what I paid for my Inspiron 1520....

That route is looking good now. I can't stand the plastic, poor quality of my Dell, can't afford these software upgrades. I will spend the money for something I believe makes more sense. Microsoft can't compete for my business right now.
    Do more people buy it just because it's cheaper? Would you buy it for 99$ instead of 391$? - and be honest.

• User profile image
    JeremyJ

jamie said:
    littleguru said:
    *snip*
    pictue 8 machines - all with 3 monitors each - toolbars meticulously set up on each to all network drives .. apps installed ... TOTAL xp full cutomization.

He tried to do it on vista - a) couldnt b) was confused by it c) didnt like it d) ok - some printers didnt work.. but he could have left those machine xp. Did not like network changes mainly. Could not find his way around as fast as xp

his comments.

(ps - as i am known to post on c9 he says all the time "tell them this!  or tell them that!

so i do.
    So it wasn't that he "couldn't get anything done", it was just that he didn't want to learn something new.
    I see.

• User profile image
    intelman

littleguru said:
    intelman said:
    *snip*
    Do more people buy it just because it's cheaper? Would you buy it for 99$ instead of 391$? - and be honest.
    Hell Yeah I would. I do not buy Xbox games because they are 59 dollars when my PC games are 49.

I have tuition and a passion for software. Microsoft has not been friendly to students. Apple isn't perfect either.

I wanted a tablet PC, but I am not sure if I would like it. It is such a large investment for something I am not sure will work for me. I need quite a bit of power for my engineering apps, but I would also like to get rid of paper in my bookbag....

Tablet PC prices have to come down for students to use it.

• User profile image
    jamie

littleguru said:
    intelman said:
    *snip*
    i think the retail / OEM "barrier ... needs to be re-thought.

ie - Windows at Staples = 499$
    but everyone knows its really $299
    ..or even way less for premium

This is done to make OEMs not lose sales to upgraders / build your own crowd.

I think windows sold more - when it was on shelves for 99$  that you could pick up.Ive read that windows is really around 60$ for one machine.  so... sell THAT! everywhere!

• User profile image
    jamie

JeremyJ said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*
    So it wasn't that he "couldn't get anything done", it was just that he didn't want to learn something new.
    I see.
    no - that he couldnt match how he has windows setup - that he taught me how to use a decade + ago

to him it just takes things away

(ps - first guy with a 486 i met.. first guy to run 1280 (like WAY back)... first guy with a win network ... first guy with corel 2 - then 3, fisrt with pentium....)

say what you want about my friend norm. but i wouldnt own a house without meeting him

• User profile image
    littleguru

jamie said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*
    i agree - but to many - XP was the final - 98se + 2000 done right OS.

*didnt like luna? there were REAL themes.

maybe it was just too good. 

*there are some who think that new coke was just a ploy all along - take away coke???  oh here it is back!

Im just saying bring back Coke.   Then you can work on the remaining things people have issues with:
    Versions, pricing, WGA.  Personally ive given up going on about those.  I just want Coke back. - and yes they are - sort of getting there
    I still hear them say that XP looks like playmobil and nobody who's serious would use that bluish something with the big icons and everything looks so childish Tongue Out Only back then the bloggers/web2.0 hadn't that much of an influence...

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.