Coffeehouse Thread

83 posts

Apples beats estimates - MS cuts 5000 jobs

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • dazla-d

jamie said:
    dazla-d said:
    *snip*
    Why thank you. (ill take that as a compliment)

What about above do you not understand?

Do you wish for me to list more possible barriers to full profitable windows adoption?

I can..

*<60's batman>..must...not...mention...windows... .com ....
    well if you take that as a compliment then you are more deluded than I thought

w i n do w s dot c o m is an enabler to full profitable windwos adoption.... how? it's in your mind, buddy; whatever you think is true does not equate to the 90+ million other people who are customers of that environment...

you're banging on about something that even a lurker like me sees as non-interesting. if it were interesting or relevant then brighter minds than you would have picked up on it.

You keep throwing out points, trying to argue them, then changing the subject when things get a bit too close for comfort. Slagging off inevitable UI changes is one thing, but claiming to know the panacea to Windows marketing and market growth strategies is a bit much to expect and you're not really delivering, are you?

Even your statements are contradictory. Full profitable windows adoption. What does that mean? windows is profitable. windows is adopted. what does full mean?????

so how about you defining a concrete case, with supporting real stats,showing how your great idea can:
    - ensure windows is on 100% of all PC's (full?)
    - ensure that Microsoft makes money from this (profitable??)
    - combination of both the above is a given (windows adoption???)

do that, and then you prove your gripes. if not, you are the sound bite muppet I envisage.

• AndyC

jamie said:
    dazla-d said:
    *snip*
    um no its not. i was just asking where is classic.  the rest stands.
    Right-click the desktop -> Personalize -> Ease of Access Themes -> Windows Classic

• jamie

dazla-d said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*

w i n do w s dot c o m is an enabler to full profitable windwos adoption.... how? it's in your mind, buddy; whatever you think is true does not equate to the 90+ million other people who are customers of that environment...

you're banging on about something that even a lurker like me sees as non-interesting. if it were interesting or relevant then brighter minds than you would have picked up on it.

You keep throwing out points, trying to argue them, then changing the subject when things get a bit too close for comfort. Slagging off inevitable UI changes is one thing, but claiming to know the panacea to Windows marketing and market growth strategies is a bit much to expect and you're not really delivering, are you?

Even your statements are contradictory. Full profitable windows adoption. What does that mean? windows is profitable. windows is adopted. what does full mean?????

so how about you defining a concrete case, with supporting real stats,showing how your great idea can:

do that, and then you prove your gripes. if not, you are the sound bite muppet I envisage.

thank you again.

it would simplify alot of things and remove confusion around windows branding.

brighter minds like joe wilcox, mary jo, network world, .....?

You keep throwing out points, trying to argue them, then changing the subject when things get a bit too close for comfort.

i only asked where classic was. you changed the subject

Slagging off inevitable UI changes is one thing, but claiming to know the panacea to Windows marketing and market growth strategies is a bit much to expect and you're not really delivering, are you?

where are your solutions?  what links do you point to? none?  oh.

Even your statements are contradictory. Full profitable windows adoption. What does that mean?

above 20% business adoption / wanted consumer adoption

windows is profitable. windows is adopted. what does full mean?????

it means a buying tsunami like xp / 95

already said above ideas might account for a 10% of fence sitter adoption - not 100
    already said re-think OEM/retail pricing
    - no - just that ignoring a huge faction of users - that liked your last, last product - might not be a good idea

heyyyyy herbie babbyyyy  Wink

ps - ya i hate when people break posts down into points to argue too.

• dazla-d

jamie said:
    dazla-d said:
    *snip*

thank you again.

it would simplify alot of things and remove confusion around windows branding.

brighter minds like joe wilcox, mary jo, network world, .....?

You keep throwing out points, trying to argue them, then changing the subject when things get a bit too close for comfort.

i only asked where classic was. you changed the subject

Slagging off inevitable UI changes is one thing, but claiming to know the panacea to Windows marketing and market growth strategies is a bit much to expect and you're not really delivering, are you?

where are your solutions?  what links do you point to? none?  oh.

Even your statements are contradictory. Full profitable windows adoption. What does that mean?

above 20% business adoption / wanted consumer adoption

windows is profitable. windows is adopted. what does full mean?????

it means a buying tsunami like xp / 95

already said above ideas might account for a 10% of fence sitter adoption - not 100
    already said re-think OEM/retail pricing
    - no - just that ignoring a huge faction of users - that liked your last, last product - might not be a good idea

heyyyyy herbie babbyyyy  Wink

ps - ya i hate when people break posts down into points to argue too.
    jamie

winsows branding and Microsoft branding are not the same
    joe wilcox, MJF, network world are not brighter minds. they are bottom feeders. if you think they are brighter minds then this says a lot.
    I didn't purport to  define panaceas for marketing and growth strategies; you are the person who did
    Definition of business/wanted adoption are a bit mad, and wtf do you mean by a tsunami OS
    All the other stuff you talk about is getting boring to reply against.

yah I give up trying to give you a reality check on your conspiracy theories. mainly cos I know you're a nutjob and it's all a laugh on you, really

• jamie

dazla-d said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*
    jamie

winsows branding and Microsoft branding are not the same
    joe wilcox, MJF, network world are not brighter minds. they are bottom feeders. if you think they are brighter minds then this says a lot.
    I didn't purport to  define panaceas for marketing and growth strategies; you are the person who did
    Definition of business/wanted adoption are a bit mad, and wtf do you mean by a tsunami OS
    All the other stuff you talk about is getting boring to reply against.

yah I give up trying to give you a reality check on your conspiracy theories. mainly cos I know you're a nutjob and it's all a laugh on you, really
    hey! i like it: 
    "Jamie: Proud nutjob that people can laugh on - since 2004."

(added the 2004 part)

• dazla-d

jamie said:
    dazla-d said:
    *snip*
    hey! i like it: 
    "Jamie: Proud nutjob that people can laugh on - since 2004."

(added the 2004 part)

whatever. game over.

• jamie

dazla-d said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*

whatever. game over.

• Bass

jamie said:
    littleguru said:
    *snip*
    i think the retail / OEM "barrier ... needs to be re-thought.

ie - Windows at Staples = 499$
    but everyone knows its really $299
    ..or even way less for premium

This is done to make OEMs not lose sales to upgraders / build your own crowd.

I think windows sold more - when it was on shelves for 99$  that you could pick up.Ive read that windows is really around 60$ for one machine.  so... sell THAT! everywhere!
    Seriously I think it would be in Microsoft's best interests to hire you, hiring freeze not withstanding.

• intelman

Microsoft should just continue to make great products like Office 2007 and Windows 7. These are products people actually see some use in. Office is much more personalbe now. Windows 7 has features that people see useful, that will change their computing lifestyle. The new taskbar, and libraries will certainly positively affect the windows community.

Microsoft needs to attract students. My school seems to be making the switch. I am considering the switch because I think I will get a better quality product that uses cheaper software. The libraries are slowly getting rid of the black dell boxes and replacing them with the new iMacs. In addition, I am seeing more and more Macbooks in the classroom. There are some people who bought them for the wrong reasons (a few told me they got macbooks because they got a free ipod with it).

• staceyw

intelman said:
    Microsoft should just continue to make great products like Office 2007 and Windows 7. These are products people actually see some use in. Office is much more personalbe now. Windows 7 has features that people see useful, that will change their computing lifestyle. The new taskbar, and libraries will certainly positively affect the windows community.

Microsoft needs to attract students. My school seems to be making the switch. I am considering the switch because I think I will get a better quality product that uses cheaper software. The libraries are slowly getting rid of the black dell boxes and replacing them with the new iMacs. In addition, I am seeing more and more Macbooks in the classroom. There are some people who bought them for the wrong reasons (a few told me they got macbooks because they got a free ipod with it).
    I like windows as much as the next guy, but I don't understand why people care so much about Win7 this early.  My guess is sometime in 2011 you "may" see some real bits (not marketing bits).  I think that is too far off to waste time on what drivers work or not or what the UI will be.  Everything will change 10 times before then.  Maybe I am tired...   

• Sven Groot

littleguru said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*
    I still hear them say that XP looks like playmobil and nobody who's serious would use that bluish something with the big icons and everything looks so childish Tongue Out Only back then the bloggers/web2.0 hadn't that much of an influence...
    Exactly. Even most of the people I know who aren't big Vista fans (but do use it) always tell me "at least the UI doesn't look so rediculously childish as in XP anymore."

Honestly, before Jamie I'd never met anyone who actually liked Luna. Besides myself that is, but I'm not hard to please, and will pretty much always use the defaults for anything unless they're really horrifically bad.

• magicalclick

This isn't a really deal. Over-estimate, under-estimate, just playing with numbers. Hell, too much growth sometimes results in stock drop. This kind of things are really hard to say what is good and what is bad.

But, the more concerning thing I am seeing is that MS is getting old. Now, most people wants a Mac as a trend. I feel like I am those Linux people dissing Windows, but I am dissing Mac. No matter how older generation thinks that new OS is not really that good and blah blah blah, the fact is that Windows become mainstream in the end. Many aspect of cons are overlooked when a new OS is on a roll. I am seeing this to Mac. As I firmly grab my Windows, Mac is getting more and more popular. And for most people, they don't care about backward compatibility. They don't care if Windows has more software. They simply believe Mac has what they need.

Not only Windows is getting old. IE is getting old, the ability to install crapware to destroy IE is just bad. And IE8 doesn't really work with Channel9, hummm.... Worst of all, MS is afraid of making things big. Always hiding, like PhotoSynth, Song Smith, Live Mesh, and more. No one knows about it, except that Song Smith has the lamest video to be infamouse. Particularly IE and WMP are stop getting better, probably due to EU money sucking abilities.

And then, the stretagy of staying behind. I am pretty sure MS could make SkyLine long before AppStore, but they choose to let compatitors do it first. Probably another legal issue work around.

All in all, I fear MS is getting old. Without reinvent Windows and other products, only improvement is not going to keep up with current standard.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • littleguru

Hmm... Windows/Microsoft needs to be hip again. I agree. Apple saw it years back and came up with the "PC guy". Microsoft's marketing should be boosted and very much improved. I agree that Microsoft has nice tech and nobody knows about it because there's nobody showing it at events or at least it's not done in a ways that the media would pick it up...

• Ray7

littleguru said:

Hmm... Windows/Microsoft needs to be hip again. I agree. Apple saw it years back and came up with the "PC guy". Microsoft's marketing should be boosted and very much improved. I agree that Microsoft has nice tech and nobody knows about it because there's nobody showing it at events or at least it's not done in a ways that the media would pick it up...

Yes, I was wondering how many of those jobs they could save, if they let go of their inept marketing department.

I do think that company is in a slow, inevitable decline, but when you're as successful as MS, then the only way to go is down. Especially when you're too lumbering to keep up with the new kids.

Same thing happened to IBM, same thing will happen to Apple.

• Bas

intelman said:
    Microsoft needs to lower the price of Windows and Office.

I simply did not buy Office 2007 because "The Ultimate Steal" didn't work for me. They claim only one sale per household. My roommate got to the ultimate steal before I did. We have the same address... so Microsoft lost my sale.

Windows is too much money as well. We'll see how much we will have to pay for 3 years worth of upgrade. Vista = 5 years worth of upgrade for $319 still quite steep.

Lets face it, everyone wants ultimate because of the shadowcopying and un deleting.

Microsoft needs to make products that work, are attractive, fair priced, easy to obtain.

Alternatively, a decent office suite for 79 .
    An Ultimate non Upgrade OS for 129.

999 Macbook or an 2000 dollar Macbook Pro, same price as what I paid for my Inspiron 1520....

That route is looking good now. I can't stand the plastic, poor quality of my Dell, can't afford these software upgrades. I will spend the money for something I believe makes more sense. Microsoft can't compete for my business right now.
    I simply did not buy Office 2007 because "The Ultimate Steal" didn't work for me.

Microsoft needs to make products that work, are attractive, fair priced, easy to obtain.

Alternatively, a decent office suite for 79 .

Office 2007 Home & Student Edition also costs $79, and also contains a word processor, presentation software and a spreadsheet. On top of that, it adds OneNote and a 3 pc license. So how is iWork the better deal?

• Bas

littleguru said:

They need to be hip again? When have they ever been hip? They took virtually the entire PC operating system market without being hip. I'm not sure, but I have the feeling that this whole "if you're not hip nobody will buy your stuff" thing is overblown blogger wisdom that has no basis in the real world.

• Sven Groot

Bas said:
    littleguru said:
    *snip*
    They need to be hip again? When have they ever been hip? They took virtually the entire PC operating system market without being hip. I'm not sure, but I have the feeling that this whole "if you're not hip nobody will buy your stuff" thing is overblown blogger wisdom that has no basis in the real world.
    I am still of the opinion that MS shouldn't be hip. I don't think they can. If MS tries to be hip, it'll just be embarassing. It's also trying to beat Apple at its own game. I'd much rather see MS play up the "we're serious, no nonsense, use us if you want to get work done instead of fool around" angle.

• littleguru

Well... probably "hip" is not the right word then... MS shouldn't be - at least - not old Tongue Out

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.