Coffeehouse Thread

62 posts

So in '7 ready for your desktop?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • Sabot

Been using '7 in a VM and on home machines and it all seems AOK ... so I've backup ... then ....

... taken the plundge ... gone over XP with '7 on my work laptop !!!

It's all good so far, stuff still works!

Anyone else feeling brave* ???

* - I'm kind of convinced that '7 is pretty mature and ready for the big time, so it's not really a 'brave' thing at all IMO.

• littleguru

I'm running it as my primary and only OS since the beta officially launched. Some BSODs (you gotta like NVIDIA) but other than that I'm very happy. Smiley Everything that worked in Vista works also in 7.

• spivonious

I've also been running it as my main OS since the beta released.  My Vista install is on a separate, unhooked hard drive, so no chance of screwing it up, but I haven't had any major problems with 7...just the usual little glitches that come with beta software.

• Ian2

spivonious said:
    I've also been running it as my main OS since the beta released.  My Vista install is on a separate, unhooked hard drive, so no chance of screwing it up, but I haven't had any major problems with 7...just the usual little glitches that come with beta software.

Its all over my house now (except the home server). 

Its what Vista should have been I guess.

• JeremyJ

I have it installed on a seperate hard drive and it works great.  I was shocked to see that some things actually ran better on 7 than Vista (for example Warhammer Online).  I haven't had as much chance as I would like to put it through its paces as a development environment but that opportunity should be comming soon.

• vesuvius

I too have dual hard drives as a virtual machine is just underpants performance wise. You need a proper install to appreciate the OS.

I have tested development with the express editions and they are working great. There is no way this OS can fail, as it is quite polished now.

Being an admirer of ObjectDock, what do you think of the new taskbar? I know the start button still exists, but have things improved in general?

• Sabot

vesuvius said:

I too have dual hard drives as a virtual machine is just underpants performance wise. You need a proper install to appreciate the OS.

I have tested development with the express editions and they are working great. There is no way this OS can fail, as it is quite polished now.

Being an admirer of ObjectDock, what do you think of the new taskbar? I know the start button still exists, but have things improved in general?

I love my ObjectDockPlus ... so much so I ditch the Taskbar and the Start button and created a whole bunch of tabs. I found I had loads more screen.

With '7 I find myself not missing the Dock so much, I don't know why? I'm not as organised perhaps it's too early so I'm still in 'rose-tinted glasses' mode. Hmmm, ask me that question again in afew weeks.

Yep I had a dual boot ... but the point I wanted to get across is that I'm not doing that any more. I only have one OS on my laptop and that is '7 !

• harumscarum

I created a VM last week but haven't looked at it since Sad

• Sabot

harumscarum said:
    I created a VM last week but haven't looked at it since Sad
    Man that is bad ... the water really is warm with '7 ... or at least I think so but then all my main stuff is MS based and that all works just fine, my other apps are delivered via Citrix and that all works so you could argue I'm not really taking big risks.

• AndyC

I've got it on my main Tablet PC and it's brilliant. Vista's tablet functionality was a big step up from XP and 7's is a massive step up from Vista. Shame N-trig haven't quite got the multi-touch drivers working smoothly yet, because I'm looking forward to trying that out properly.

I've also got it on one of my work desktops, won't be risking it on my primary machine because Vista x64 is doing perfectly well there and I don't need the hassle of beta issues when other things are going wrong! That said adding 7 to our AD went pretty smoothly, which was something I wouldn't have dared risking during the Vista betas. Only problem there is McAfee not supporting 7 yet, but I'm sure that will come in time.

Really, really looking forward to the release of both 7 and Server 2008 R2, especially if we can get DirectAccess working as described because that will make a lot of annoying headaches go away.

• Sabot

AndyC said:
    I've got it on my main Tablet PC and it's brilliant. Vista's tablet functionality was a big step up from XP and 7's is a massive step up from Vista. Shame N-trig haven't quite got the multi-touch drivers working smoothly yet, because I'm looking forward to trying that out properly.

I've also got it on one of my work desktops, won't be risking it on my primary machine because Vista x64 is doing perfectly well there and I don't need the hassle of beta issues when other things are going wrong! That said adding 7 to our AD went pretty smoothly, which was something I wouldn't have dared risking during the Vista betas. Only problem there is McAfee not supporting 7 yet, but I'm sure that will come in time.

Really, really looking forward to the release of both 7 and Server 2008 R2, especially if we can get DirectAccess working as described because that will make a lot of annoying headaches go away.
    My work laptop is a HP tablet and '7 work better on it than Vista did, perhaps because of the Centrino Pro processor was working darn hard. However I wish I had a touch-screen instead of having to use the pen. My pen is on a bit of string! - nice Sad

• Ian2

Sabot said:
    AndyC said:
    *snip*
    My work laptop is a HP tablet and '7 work better on it than Vista did, perhaps because of the Centrino Pro processor was working darn hard. However I wish I had a touch-screen instead of having to use the pen. My pen is on a bit of string! - nice Sad
    At least you've got a pen.  Win7 on my old M200 looks so good (without a pen) I've just had to stump up for a new one (not cheap either).

Damn that Windows 7 team.

(and no, the one in the battery compartment went a long time ago)

• Minh

I had Win7 on the netbook... but Visual Studio 2008 won't install (need it for XNA)... My perfect programming environment is an internet cafe' and I don't mind programming on a tiny screen...

So it's coming off... Maybe on the laptop...

• spivonious

vesuvius said:

Interesting you mention that the Start button is still there.  I find myself only using it for the search box inside and opening Control Panel.

It would be really nice if MS replaced the "Orb" with the search box, but I have a feeling that there would be a huge backlash.

• PaoloM

Minh said:
    I had Win7 on the netbook... but Visual Studio 2008 won't install (need it for XNA)... My perfect programming environment is an internet cafe' and I don't mind programming on a tiny screen...

So it's coming off... Maybe on the laptop...
    What's the problem with VS2k8? It installed fine on my Aspire One...

• PaoloM

vesuvius said:

Take a look at this.

• spivonious

PaoloM said:
    vesuvius said:
    *snip*
    Take a look at this.
    Excellent comparison of the Dock and the Taskbar.  Thanks for posting it, Paolo.

• esoteric

7 is running fine on both my laptop and my desktop (depicted).

The desktop did have a driver failure during 7 install, but it appears to basically work. Still, it's a bit sad that "self-healing" doesn't really account for this. The most fundamental kind of healing, it would seem, would be to ensure all system files are present. But so far no big deal - it's only Sticky Notes that complains over a missing Ink dll.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.