Bas said:
PaoloM said:
*snip*

So, if I look at my notification area now, I have just Messenger, the WHS connector, and the power management/network/volume trinity there. But if I expand it to show the hidden icons, I see a whole bunch of stuff. AnyDVD, Dell QuickSet, Sidebar, Live Mesh, the Fingerprint Reader Suite... all stuff I want to have running in the background all the time, but I rarely interact with them. I just don't need to see those icons, that's why I hid them in the notification area. If Windows 7 is going to push always-running applications out of the notification area and onto the taskbar to avoid cluttering up the notification area, the result will be that the taskbar will get cluttered... which is worse, because now I'll be forced to look at a whole range of buttons that I'll never interact with, with no way to hide them.

How is Windows going to combat that problem? I'm really not looking forward to constantly having to look at that smug AnyDVD fox that does nothing but take up space on my taskbar.
A good point there. This decluttering can lead to more cluttering...