62 posts

So in '7 ready for your desktop?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Sabot

Cyonix said:
    Sabot said:
    *snip*
    I just moved over to Windows 7. I like it so far, only problem i've had is Chrome not working.
    Yep you need to re-install Chrome if you've done the upgraded install as Chrome actually sits in your User Folder and not Program Files because Googles so smart they don't like to follow standards because they give some guff about working with user profiles ... so as it's in that folder Windows doesn't take any notice of it come upgrade time ... nice one Google very impressive.

• User profile image
    sgtaylor

Sabot said:
    Erisan said:
    *snip*
    Fair comment Erisan.

I often think that the different between Windows and Linux users & developers is good old fashion human preference.

For example, I'm happy to surrender control and let things happen on my behalf, why my friend Alan isn't, he needs to know what everything is doing , he needs to play with settings and install software and try to find the best combination of things. Alan does like to utterly control his computer and doesn't wish to wrestle with it. Fortunately Beer is more important than computers in our friendship.

Another Alan, Alan Cooper to be exact, wrote about this in his book about Developers, The Inmates are Running the Asylum, It's call the 'Jetway test' on page 94!

Google">http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=04cFCVXC_AUC&pg=PA93&lpg=PA93&dq=alan+cooper+jetway&source=web&ots=jfwd-0r2jR&sig=ZBMhcJFy0qjYrbcSaVJKRxxIOiA&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result#PPA94,M1">Google Books has the page here. (Please note the Google Books doesn't work for me in IE8)

I have to say but perhaps it's an age thing, when I was younger I wanted to go into the cockpit so bad, now I don't care just want a comfy seat.
    Oh, this is interesting. Just got finished testing out Ubuntu 8.10 a couple of weeks ago. Quite good once they fixed the drivers for my wireless card (Realtek 8187B Wireless USB LAN) in the kernel. That wasn't fixed in 8.04 LTS. But, my MP3 player (Sansa e280 and a 8 GB Clip) didn't like Unix line endings in the ID3 tags. My MP3-encoded songs wouldn't show up properly in the player no matter what I did, nor how I entered the tags. Spent two full days of my vacation working on it. Guess the developers still have some reverse engineering to do.

Finally, went back to Vista. Took me a day to switch back and lost none of my data. Clip works perfectly with my saved wma music.

I've switched OS's so often, as my hardware purchases have dictated, that I"ve gotten quite good at installation and configuration. I'm getting older, and I'm getting to the point where I want everything to just work. Tweaking is becoming a disease of some sorts (chuckle), but in this example to follow, it still helps to know what to do.

I do miss Novell Evolution's outgoing email filters. However, I've got a bought copy of Barca from PocoSystems that DOES have that feature. Problem is, it only is written for XP (and works fine there), but definitely not Vista (and soon you'll see why). There isn't any entry for Barca in the Default Programs list, but it does show up in the Start Menu after manually setting it in the Start Menu's Properties. When you go to the Options dialog box, there are two buttons for setting Barca as the default email client and the default news client. They dim when pressed, but upon subsequent runs of the email client, they are not dimmed, like the choice didn't take somewhere.

In the past, that was a problem with no resolution. Now I don't care so much.

One thing Vista/7 is moving toward is better application security, like Linux has, and I'm all for that. So, because of the blocks on writing anywhere in the Registry that Vista has, it was a bit of a trouble re-installing Barca (turn off UAC/reboot/install Barca as Administrator on an Administrator account with "XP sp2 compatibility flag" turned on/import my mail from Thunderbird & my contacts from ldif files/set Barca as default email client from within Barca/install mozex 1.9.9 on Firefox to get the mailto: tags working (that's Firefox's fault)/turn UAC back on/reboot).

Everything works fine now. I wouldn't have done this switch, but I did some research and there is a new beta being tested for Barca, which will greatly increase its Vista compatibility (please, please, please), among other features. But, Barca works the way I think, so the trouble is worth it.

Now, here's a question: Is there any way to see what's going on with how this program installs itself, like a network sniffer for installs? It would be interesting to see what's going on. I'm beta testing Windows 7, and by all accounts, it's far more stable that a beta has a right to be. I've heard of lots of you, and Paul Thurott too, using Windows 7 exclusively, even on your primary machines. That intrigues me. But, how would an upgrade install from Vista to Windows 7 damage Barca's (somewhat kludgy) Vista install?

• User profile image
    Charles

Cyonix said:
    Sabot said:
    *snip*
    I just moved over to Windows 7. I like it so far, only problem i've had is Chrome not working.
    That's strange.  Is there an error surfaced associated with Chrome? What's the message?
    C

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Sabot said:
    eagle said:
    *snip*
    I'm with you on this one Eagle ... I ain't looking back! I'm just hoping it doesn't cost alot of money to upgrade.
    I got XP free, Vista free and with a few friends employed by MS, Im expecting 7 will cost from free to whatever MS employees pay.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Charles said:
    Cyonix said:
    *snip*
    That's strange.  Is there an error surfaced associated with Chrome? What's the message?
    C
    Chrome works on my Win 7 install with no issues.  The only issue I have with Chrome and Safari is that they dont show the multiple tabs open in the superbar like IE 7 does.

• User profile image
    Larry Osterman

I put 7 on my laptop sometime around the end of M1, I moved my development machine at the end of M2 and I moved my home machine at the end of M3 (every Monday morning I upgrade my laptop to the most recent build, every Wednesday morning I update my development machine to the most recent build and every Saturday I upgrade my home machine to the most recent stable build (as determined by the build lab)). I followed more-or-less the same upgrade cadence for Windows Vista

Because he's been nagging me about it for months, I upgraded my son's machine from XP->Vista->Win7 Beta last week.

So far I've been pretty impressed, to be honest.  There have been a couple of glitches here and there (for instance back in September there was a period of time when some fairly popular games would blue-screen the machine), but in general Win7's been pretty solid.

Of course YMMV. I intentionally live on the utter bleeding edge of dogfooding and my machines are all backed up daily so if something goes wrong I won't lose too much work.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Larry Osterman said:
    I put 7 on my laptop sometime around the end of M1, I moved my development machine at the end of M2 and I moved my home machine at the end of M3 (every Monday morning I upgrade my laptop to the most recent build, every Wednesday morning I update my development machine to the most recent build and every Saturday I upgrade my home machine to the most recent stable build (as determined by the build lab)). I followed more-or-less the same upgrade cadence for Windows Vista

Because he's been nagging me about it for months, I upgraded my son's machine from XP->Vista->Win7 Beta last week.

So far I've been pretty impressed, to be honest.  There have been a couple of glitches here and there (for instance back in September there was a period of time when some fairly popular games would blue-screen the machine), but in general Win7's been pretty solid.

Of course YMMV. I intentionally live on the utter bleeding edge of dogfooding and my machines are all backed up daily so if something goes wrong I won't lose too much work.
    My work desktop, home desktop and netbook are running the beta. My work laptop is running the most recent build of our dev branch.

Working in Vista (or XP, eww) feels just wrong now Smiley

• User profile image
    jamie

PaoloM said:
    Larry Osterman said:
    *snip*
    My work desktop, home desktop and netbook are running the beta. My work laptop is running the most recent build of our dev branch.

Working in Vista (or XP, eww) feels just wrong now Smiley
    xp - eww.

yes convice yourself of that - contrary to market numbers that show most prefer it

* to dream.... the impossible ..dream .... (music notes etc )

• User profile image
    PaoloM

jamie said:
    PaoloM said:
    *snip*
    xp - eww.

yes convice yourself of that - contrary to market numbers that show most prefer it

You are of course entitled to your opinion, jamie.

• User profile image
    jamie

PaoloM said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*
    You are of course entitled to your opinion, jamie.
    thankyou.

but still - eww to describe your most popular product of all time?

my shoes - yes ewww

your shoes - not

but xp?  thats not an ewww

• User profile image
    Bass

jamie said:
    PaoloM said:
    *snip*
    thankyou.

my shoes - yes ewww

your shoes - not

Windows XP is a major Windows Vista and Windows 7 competitor, probably the biggest. Smiley

• User profile image
    La Bomba

jamie said:
    PaoloM said:
    *snip*
    thankyou.

my shoes - yes ewww

your shoes - not

jamie said:

xp - eww.

Most prefer XP? Why don't you wait until 7 comes out before making that call. First you liked Win 7 now you don't? You're more confusing than raymond. Unfortunately there's more to an operating system than an "UP" button.

Myself I'm running Windows 7 on my tablet, main desktop and Macbook. Very stable, very fast, kills Vista in terms of memory management and doesn't look all fisher price like xp.

• User profile image
    jamie

La Bomba said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*

Most prefer XP? Why don't you wait until 7 comes out before making that call. First you liked Win 7 now you don't? You're more confusing than raymond. Unfortunately there's more to an operating system than an "UP" button.

Myself I'm running Windows 7 on my tablet, main desktop and Macbook. Very stable, very fast, kills Vista in terms of memory management and doesn't look all fisher price like xp.

aw the old fisher price argument.

Ever watch Discovery Daily Planet?  I see XP on the scientist's machines they interview everyday. Thats product placement.  Of couse you see macs in things too - just not on the scientist's computers on discovery daily planet.

which in all cases ...are luna.

• User profile image
    La Bomba

jamie said:
    La Bomba said:
    *snip*
    aw the old fisher price argument.

Ever watch Discovery Daily Planet?  I see XP on the scientist's machines they interview everyday. Thats product placement.  Of couse you see macs in things too - just not on the scientist's computers on discovery daily planet.

which in all cases ...are luna.
    What the hell does discovery planet have to do with anything?

Give me a valid reason why XP is better than 7 besides lame crap like "UP" and some other minor squabbles you usually come up with.

You can't complain about UAC anymore, Win7 is a lot more user friendly than Vista.\

Jamie you're a 32-bit user in a 64-bit world, you are obsolete my friend. Quit playing with lego when you can play with real materials.

• User profile image
    jamie

La Bomba said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*
    What the hell does discovery planet have to do with anything?

Give me a valid reason why XP is better than 7 besides lame crap like "UP" and some other minor squabbles you usually come up with.

You can't complain about UAC anymore, Win7 is a lot more user friendly than Vista.\

Jamie you're a 32-bit user in a 64-bit world, you are obsolete my friend. Quit playing with lego when you can play with real materials.
    why should i give you a reason after posting that reason already?  multiple times. too many times.
    you seriously dont know my reasons?  by now?  after 4-5 years? after re-iterating all of them after dismal ms layoffs and continuing market share loss - across most categories?

also - if you think i do not know how to work new things you are mistaken. i just do not put up with garbage - masquarading as new

• User profile image
    La Bomba

jamie said:
    La Bomba said:
    *snip*
    why should i give you a reason after posting that reason already?  multiple times. too many times.
    you seriously dont know my reasons?  by now?  after 4-5 years? after re-iterating all of them after dismal ms layoffs and continuing market share loss - across most categories?

also - if you think i do not know how to work new things you are mistaken. i just do not put up with garbage - masquarading as new
    It just seems with even Linux users saying Win7 is great, the big technology columnists Mossberg, Pogue all saying positive things about Win7; it seems you are in the minority.

The word is Win7 is great, wake up and smell the coffee...so to speak Wink

• User profile image
    La Bomba

jamie said:
    La Bomba said:
    *snip*

I usually read your reasons and then Sven's responses ripping them apart, and I'm not sure what to think. Big Smile

• User profile image
    jamie

La Bomba said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*
    It just seems with even Linux users saying Win7 is great, the big technology columnists Mossberg, Pogue all saying positive things about Win7; it seems you are in the minority.

The word is Win7 is great, wake up and smell the coffee...so to speak Wink
    i dont base my opinions on articles - although i use them to support my opinions

i have seen all the good articles.  i wait for them! i love them!

but i search out the BAD articles.. this is what i post about - not good stuff - but the bad

its why chrisA (beer28) hates me  "he seems like hes cutting them up - but hes really trying to help them"

whatever... i suppose i should find a better interest.. but alas - my interest is ms - and seeing it WIN

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.