Coffeehouse Thread

62 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

So in '7 ready for your desktop?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    La Bomba

jamie said:
    La Bomba said:
    *snip*
    i dont base my opinions on articles - although i use them to support my opinions

i have seen all the good articles.  i wait for them! i love them!

but i search out the BAD articles.. this is what i post about - not good stuff - but the bad

its why chrisA (beer28) hates me  "he seems like hes cutting them up - but hes really trying to help them"

whatever... i suppose i should find a better interest.. but alas - my interest is ms - and seeing it WIN
    I'm curious to see what your reasons are, where is that thread?

• User profile image
    jamie

La Bomba said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*
    I'm curious to see what your reasons are, where is that thread?
    http://channel9.msdn.com/forums/Coffeehouse/454467-Apples-beats-estimates-MS-cuts-5000-jobs/?CommentID=454813

*its not reasons... just things to fix issues - that ive seen not just from me - but friends too

*the funny part is - i guess it took 4 years to write that in one simple list Wink

• User profile image
    elmer

La Bomba said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*
    It just seems with even Linux users saying Win7 is great, the big technology columnists Mossberg, Pogue all saying positive things about Win7; it seems you are in the minority.

The word is Win7 is great, wake up and smell the coffee...so to speak Wink
    The word is Win7 is great, wake up and smell the coffee...so to speak

It's great that people think W7 is going to be a success... and as an MS developer/reseller, I sure hope it is... but that should not stop anyone from criticising the product... particularly in the Beta-phase... when you are supposed to be critical.

Just because everyone agrees that you are wrong, doesn't mean that you are... and there is a serious "naked emperor" syndrome that surrounds much of what journalists/bloggers write... all too often they write that something is good (or bad) because they are then in agreement with their peers, and hence that makes them respected journalists/bloggers... but it only takes one to stand up and call it as it really is, for them all to change their tune.

That's not to suggest W7 is a shiny turd or that everyone is being deluded from the "truth" ...but questioning what others say and having a different point of view is not a bad thing... and it sure as hell beats blindly accepting what others say or accepting what you read on the internet as fact.

• User profile image
    Cyonix

Charles said:
    Cyonix said:
    *snip*
    That's strange.  Is there an error surfaced associated with Chrome? What's the message?
    C
    The problem i had was when i typed a url into Chrome it wouldn't actually browse anywhere. I installed Chrome from the Clickonce installer, which as Sabot says puts it into the User Folder. I'll try and find a proper installer

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

jamie said:
    PaoloM said:
    *snip*
    xp - eww.

yes convice yourself of that - contrary to market numbers that show most prefer it

* to dream.... the impossible ..dream .... (music notes etc )
    I had to reinstall an old laptop with XP recently (a friend whose laptop has died wanted to borrow it). It was terrible. Several times I was looking for stuff and couldn't find it because I'd gotten used to the Vista way. I kept trying to find the breadcrumbs bar but all it had was a completely useless Up button Wink. Several times I did the press win-key, start typing trick out of habit (which is how I launch the stuff in Vista that isn't in the MRU list of the start menu), and that failed of course. One time I accidentally logged off by doing that.

XP was a great OS for its time, but that time is over. I wouldn't go back even if you paid me (ok, it depends on how much you want to pay Tongue Out )

• User profile image
    emptythetill

I tried 7 for a couple of days and was super impressed, but then things started to fail.  Clone DVD would not work, my GPU drivers seemed to install but obviously were not working etc.  All the problems were not caused by Windows, I must stress that.  I can't wait for more support and uptake, I will take the plunge as soon as more hardware support is available.

All this from a Mac user too!

• User profile image
    Sabot

jamie said:
    PaoloM said:
    *snip*
    xp - eww.

yes convice yourself of that - contrary to market numbers that show most prefer it

* to dream.... the impossible ..dream .... (music notes etc )
    Fair comment Jamie.

Is '7 enough to get people off XP? I can't answer that. Is improving alot of features radical enough now? I'm wondering if '7 needs to walk on water!.

It's all evolutions in '7 ... perhaps it's a revolution thats needed?

However, I prefer '7 to XP but that's just my preference based on no real fact other than it seems better performing in a lot of ways. This just proves the point that everyone will have an important killer reason to want to upgrade, Microsoft's challenge will be to communicate them. Upgrading cos XP is going out of support is a lame reason.

• User profile image
    Bas

Sabot said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*
    Fair comment Jamie.

Is '7 enough to get people off XP? I can't answer that. Is improving alot of features radical enough now? I'm wondering if '7 needs to walk on water!.

It's all evolutions in '7 ... perhaps it's a revolution thats needed?

However, I prefer '7 to XP but that's just my preference based on no real fact other than it seems better performing in a lot of ways. This just proves the point that everyone will have an important killer reason to want to upgrade, Microsoft's challenge will be to communicate them. Upgrading cos XP is going out of support is a lame reason.
    Evolution vs Revolution: I'd love to see Microsoft shake up the whole file system/task bar/desktop/window paradigm, as has been hinted to for a future Windows version a couple of times. I'm not sure if they could afford it right now. Deservedly or not, Windows' reputation is damaged after Vista, and shaking up everything and throwing compatibility out the door might be enough to finally drive people to Linux and Mac so that they have something that at least remotely resembles what they were used to.
    Maybe Microsoft needs to reaffirm Windows' reputation with one or two strong Windows releases again, so that they'll at least have the confidence of the user again when they try something new.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.