Coffeehouse Thread

18 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Pics (+ location)

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

    got any pics to share? - and from where?

    here is walking mazie around southern toronto lakefront - map included
    Jan 09  (brrrr)
    http://www.jamiegrant.com/beach/

  • User profile image
    Ion Todirel

    looks awesome jamie, all were made in Toronto?

  • User profile image
    jamie

    Ion Todirel said:
    looks awesome jamie, all were made in Toronto?
    yes thats where we feed the homeless cats  (think of the kitties!)  Wink
    * some shots are from 5 blocks east of there - but i didnt want 2 maps

    in general - its toronto - lakefront - central - east

  • User profile image
    stevo_

    Wow its really cold there, the branches and stuff covered in ice is freaky, great pics.

  • User profile image
    ZippyV
  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

    Here are some from the trip to Tohoku (the north part of Japan's main island) I took at new year. There was about half a meter to a meter of snow. Really quite hard to tell sometimes where you could stand, a few times I ended up standing up to my knees in the snow. Smiley

    Generic Forum Image


    Matsukawa Onsen (hot spring). Nothing beats an out door hot spring in the snow. Smiley

    Generic Forum Image

    Tazawa-ko lake (click for full size). Stitched with Windows Live Photo Gallery, worked pretty well considering the cheap camera and poor lighting conditions.

    Generic Forum Image

    Torii at a temple on Mt. Haguro.

    Generic Forum Image

    Fire for the new year's festival.

    Generic Forum Image 
    I love Japanese food. Smiley

    Full set here.

  • User profile image
    jamie

    Sven Groot said:
    Here are some from the trip to Tohoku (the north part of Japan's main island) I took at new year. There was about half a meter to a meter of snow. Really quite hard to tell sometimes where you could stand, a few times I ended up standing up to my knees in the snow. Smiley

    Generic Forum Image


    Matsukawa Onsen (hot spring). Nothing beats an out door hot spring in the snow. Smiley

    Generic Forum Image

    Tazawa-ko lake (click for full size). Stitched with Windows Live Photo Gallery, worked pretty well considering the cheap camera and poor lighting conditions.

    Generic Forum Image

    Torii at a temple on Mt. Haguro.

    Generic Forum Image

    Fire for the new year's festival.

    Generic Forum Image 
    I love Japanese food. Smiley

    Full set here.
    very nice!

    *zippy - cant load photosynth on this machine... will view from home later

  • User profile image
    Ion Todirel

    Sven Groot said:
    Here are some from the trip to Tohoku (the north part of Japan's main island) I took at new year. There was about half a meter to a meter of snow. Really quite hard to tell sometimes where you could stand, a few times I ended up standing up to my knees in the snow. Smiley

    Generic Forum Image


    Matsukawa Onsen (hot spring). Nothing beats an out door hot spring in the snow. Smiley

    Generic Forum Image

    Tazawa-ko lake (click for full size). Stitched with Windows Live Photo Gallery, worked pretty well considering the cheap camera and poor lighting conditions.

    Generic Forum Image

    Torii at a temple on Mt. Haguro.

    Generic Forum Image

    Fire for the new year's festival.

    Generic Forum Image 
    I love Japanese food. Smiley

    Full set here.
    nice, can you talk a bit about the food on the table?

  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

    Ion Todirel said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*
    nice, can you talk a bit about the food on the table?
    Sure, although I'm bad at remembering names. Smiley

    On the left with the meat, tofu and vegetables is sukiyaki. A fire is lit below that so you prepare it yourself. Below that is a raw egg; break it in the bowl, and dip the stuff from the sukiyaki in the egg.

    Then we have a fish, I forgot what kind exactly. There are two ways to eat those: you can try to pick the meat from the bones (which is horribly complicated with hashi (chopsticks)), or you can eat the whole thing, including the bones, head and tail. That's how you're supposed to eat it, and that's what I did. I was the only one in our group brave enough to do that though. Big Smile

    Below the fish on the left is some mountain vegatable thingy (I said I was terrible with names Tongue Out ), quite sweet, very nice. To the right of that some pickles, a staple of every Japanese meal. To the right of the fish is caviar with some white stuff (can't remember), and below that some other vegetables which I also can't remember the name of. Wink

    On the right is tempura (various deep fried stuff, usually vegetables), and the green stuff is salt for the tempura.

    There's two up-side-down bowls. One is for rice, the other for soup. The soup itself is in the pot above the sukiyaki on the left (this also has a fire under it), that wasn't mine though, my soup is out of frame on the right. There was also sashimi, also out of frame.

    Of course, we drank hot sake with this; there is no better drink in cold weather. Smiley

    That's about it. Smiley

  • User profile image
    jamie

    Sven Groot said:
    Ion Todirel said:
    *snip*
    Sure, although I'm bad at remembering names. Smiley

    On the left with the meat, tofu and vegetables is sukiyaki. A fire is lit below that so you prepare it yourself. Below that is a raw egg; break it in the bowl, and dip the stuff from the sukiyaki in the egg.

    Then we have a fish, I forgot what kind exactly. There are two ways to eat those: you can try to pick the meat from the bones (which is horribly complicated with hashi (chopsticks)), or you can eat the whole thing, including the bones, head and tail. That's how you're supposed to eat it, and that's what I did. I was the only one in our group brave enough to do that though. Big Smile

    Below the fish on the left is some mountain vegatable thingy (I said I was terrible with names Tongue Out ), quite sweet, very nice. To the right of that some pickles, a staple of every Japanese meal. To the right of the fish is caviar with some white stuff (can't remember), and below that some other vegetables which I also can't remember the name of. Wink

    On the right is tempura (various deep fried stuff, usually vegetables), and the green stuff is salt for the tempura.

    There's two up-side-down bowls. One is for rice, the other for soup. The soup itself is in the pot above the sukiyaki on the left (this also has a fire under it), that wasn't mine though, my soup is out of frame on the right. There was also sashimi, also out of frame.

    Of course, we drank hot sake with this; there is no better drink in cold weather. Smiley

    That's about it. Smiley
    you lost me at "dip in raw egg"  Tongue Out


    BURGER!!!  (cooked!)

  • User profile image
    Mark Brown

    Sven Groot said:
    Ion Todirel said:
    *snip*
    Sure, although I'm bad at remembering names. Smiley

    On the left with the meat, tofu and vegetables is sukiyaki. A fire is lit below that so you prepare it yourself. Below that is a raw egg; break it in the bowl, and dip the stuff from the sukiyaki in the egg.

    Then we have a fish, I forgot what kind exactly. There are two ways to eat those: you can try to pick the meat from the bones (which is horribly complicated with hashi (chopsticks)), or you can eat the whole thing, including the bones, head and tail. That's how you're supposed to eat it, and that's what I did. I was the only one in our group brave enough to do that though. Big Smile

    Below the fish on the left is some mountain vegatable thingy (I said I was terrible with names Tongue Out ), quite sweet, very nice. To the right of that some pickles, a staple of every Japanese meal. To the right of the fish is caviar with some white stuff (can't remember), and below that some other vegetables which I also can't remember the name of. Wink

    On the right is tempura (various deep fried stuff, usually vegetables), and the green stuff is salt for the tempura.

    There's two up-side-down bowls. One is for rice, the other for soup. The soup itself is in the pot above the sukiyaki on the left (this also has a fire under it), that wasn't mine though, my soup is out of frame on the right. There was also sashimi, also out of frame.

    Of course, we drank hot sake with this; there is no better drink in cold weather. Smiley

    That's about it. Smiley
    Damn that meal looks good. HUGE fan of Japanese food. I'm very jealous. I've had very few meals where I've seen a meal with as many goodies as that on one table.

    mmmmm....

  • User profile image
    jamie

    Mark Brown said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*
    Damn that meal looks good. HUGE fan of Japanese food. I'm very jealous. I've had very few meals where I've seen a meal with as many goodies as that on one table.

    mmmmm....
    quick poll:  who here would eat any of that? really??
    (i liked the PIC not the food)

    ME = none of it

    you?

    Edit: ok ... RICE.  id eat the rice.

  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

    jamie said:
    Mark Brown said:
    *snip*
    quick poll:  who here would eat any of that? really??
    (i liked the PIC not the food)

    ME = none of it

    you?

    Edit: ok ... RICE.  id eat the rice.

    I ate absolutely everything that was there (what can I say; I've been tought to finish my plate Tongue Out ). I'm not a difficult eater. There are things I don't like, sure, but very little that I won't eat. I draw the line at things that are alive (I've eaten insects, including grasshoppers and wasps, but only when fried), and things that could kill you (like fugu). In this particular case it was easy though, everything tasted great.

    I've even eaten natto, which westerners usually find horrid. If you talk to any Japanese person and mention you like Japanese food, they will almost always ask "how about natto?" because they know almost no one outside of Japan likes it. I didn't particularly like it either, it'll never be my favourite food, but if it's part of the meal, I'll eat it.

    The main thing that a lot of people have trouble with in Japan is traditional Japanese breakfast, which also consists of things like rice, miso-soup, fish and pickles (and indeed natto). Although I prefer some good old brown bread with cheese for breakfast, or maybe a Greek salad, I will eat what I get and not complain. Smiley

    EDIT: Jamie, it seems you approach food the same way you approach Windows; everything should be familiar and you're unwilling to give anything new a chance. Tongue Out

  • User profile image
    jamie

    Sven Groot said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*

    I ate absolutely everything that was there (what can I say; I've been tought to finish my plate Tongue Out ). I'm not a difficult eater. There are things I don't like, sure, but very little that I won't eat. I draw the line at things that are alive (I've eaten insects, including grasshoppers and wasps, but only when fried), and things that could kill you (like fugu). In this particular case it was easy though, everything tasted great.

    I've even eaten natto, which westerners usually find horrid. If you talk to any Japanese person and mention you like Japanese food, they will almost always ask "how about natto?" because they know almost no one outside of Japan likes it. I didn't particularly like it either, it'll never be my favourite food, but if it's part of the meal, I'll eat it.

    The main thing that a lot of people have trouble with in Japan is traditional Japanese breakfast, which also consists of things like rice, miso-soup, fish and pickles (and indeed natto). Although I prefer some good old brown bread with cheese for breakfast, or maybe a Greek salad, I will eat what I get and not complain. Smiley

    EDIT: Jamie, it seems you approach food the same way you approach Windows; everything should be familiar and you're unwilling to give anything new a chance. Tongue Out

    re: EDIT: Jamie, it seems you approach food the same way you approach Windows; everything should be familiar and you're unwilling to give anything new a chance. Tongue Out


    um ya. bones, raw fish, tail, "thingys"....  steveb has gotta go!  Wink

  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

    jamie said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*

    re: EDIT: Jamie, it seems you approach food the same way you approach Windows; everything should be familiar and you're unwilling to give anything new a chance. Tongue Out


    um ya. bones, raw fish, tail, "thingys"....  steveb has gotta go!  Wink

    raw fish

    Of course! Sashimi and sushi are among my favourite foods.

    The only bad thing about living in Japan, from a culinary point of view, is that cheese is so expensive. €5 for a tiny piece of camembert is the norm. And I happen to really like cheese of all kinds. Smiley

  • User profile image
    jamie

    Sven Groot said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*

    Of course! Sashimi and sushi are among my favourite foods.

    The only bad thing about living in Japan, from a culinary point of view, is that cheese is so expensive. €5 for a tiny piece of camembert is the norm. And I happen to really like cheese of all kinds. Smiley
    you need some canadian bacon - marinated in maple syrup - slow cooked on a smoker/grill.
    ..of course you could always just bite a pig...  ak Smiley

  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

    jamie said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*
    you need some canadian bacon - marinated in maple syrup - slow cooked on a smoker/grill.
    ..of course you could always just bite a pig...  ak Smiley
    you need some canadian bacon - marinated in maple syrup - slow cooked on a smoker/grill.

    That sounds great too. Big Smile

    ... this thread is making me hungry. Wink

  • User profile image
    jamie

    Sven Groot said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*

    That sounds great too. Big Smile

    ... this thread is making me hungry. Wink
    maybe programmers hate cooking so much - they eat raw healthy food Wink

    cook! braise! roast! bake! sear! sauté! flambé! ! 

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.