Coffeehouse Thread

14 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Interesting papers

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    littleguru

What's the most recent paper that you read and found interesting?

Mine is from POPL, with the titel "Equality Saturation: A New Approach to Optimization" - http://www.cs.ucsd.edu/~rtate/publications/eqsat.html

• User profile image
    littleguru

Nobody reading papers?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

littleguru said:

Nobody reading papers?

I'm currently reading a Computer Vision paper on object contour tracking, it's taking me a long while though since I'm familiar with everything being discussed.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

I found this one very interesting:
    DryadLINQ: A System for General-Purpose Distributed Data-Parallel Computing Using a High-Level Language Pretty much the current state of the art in my research area. Charles, if you can get an interview with the guys behind Dryad and/or DryadLINQ on C9 I would be eternally grateful. Smiley

• User profile image
    Bas

littleguru said:

Nobody reading papers?

I read the newspaper this morning...

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Bas said:
    littleguru said:
    *snip*
    I read the newspaper this morning...
    You mean you watched the cartoons in the newspaper this morning, don't you?

• User profile image
    Bas

TommyCarlier said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*

I confess. Sad

• User profile image
    W3bbo

TommyCarlier said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*
    None of my newspapers I read have comics in them... they're all too serious Sad

...but then you always get the up-to-date ones online anyway.

• User profile image
    Charles

Sven Groot said:
    I found this one very interesting:
    DryadLINQ: A System for General-Purpose Distributed Data-Parallel Computing Using a High-Level Language Pretty much the current state of the art in my research area. Charles, if you can get an interview with the guys behind Dryad and/or DryadLINQ on C9 I would be eternally grateful. Smiley
    Will look into this. It's certainly very interesting work and a generally compelling problem space. I'm thinking this would make for an excellent Expert to Expert episode....
    C

• User profile image
    littleguru

Charles said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*
    Will look into this. It's certainly very interesting work and a generally compelling problem space. I'm thinking this would make for an excellent Expert to Expert episode....
    C
    I would also like to see something on DryadLINQ, if possible Smiley The E2E seems a nice idea... now you only need to grap Erik and get everything set up.

• User profile image
    esoteric

Lovely. Smiley

I wonder if the Phoenix guys are thinking D'OH! right now. This approach looks quite compelling.

There's been several interesting ideas introduced lately, some new, some not so new. The new TraceMonkey Javascript VM, working on the new idea of trace trees. I believe the researchers behind the idea applied this to Java as well and got a very high performance VM, comparable to the one of Hotspot, which has God knows how many man-hours put into it. Isn't it wonderful when new and simple ideas shatter old and complex ones? Beautiful code.

Then there is SquirrelFish Extreme and V8 Javascript engines which both appear to be using some of the same techniques from the Self implementations - re/compiling to classes because most often, prototypes do have a fixed layout, even if they may be completely dynamic - adding and removing properties and methods at runtime.

• User profile image
    littleguru

esoteric said:
    Lovely. Smiley

I wonder if the Phoenix guys are thinking D'OH! right now. This approach looks quite compelling.

There's been several interesting ideas introduced lately, some new, some not so new. The new TraceMonkey Javascript VM, working on the new idea of trace trees. I believe the researchers behind the idea applied this to Java as well and got a very high performance VM, comparable to the one of Hotspot, which has God knows how many man-hours put into it. Isn't it wonderful when new and simple ideas shatter old and complex ones? Beautiful code.

Then there is SquirrelFish Extreme and V8 Javascript engines which both appear to be using some of the same techniques from the Self implementations - re/compiling to classes because most often, prototypes do have a fixed layout, even if they may be completely dynamic - adding and removing properties and methods at runtime.

I love simple Smiley I'm also interested to know what the Phoenix guys think about these kind of ideas... but they might already know, since this was a paper that has been presented at POPL.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Every few months I re-trawl the Patterns and Languages Conference papers (here is the list from 2008). I usually find something interesting.

Herbie

• User profile image
    dentaku

I've been watching lots of tutorial videos lately. That's kind of like reading technical papers Wink
    of course they're all about Reason 4
    http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=TfzmIGn4mf8

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.