21 posts

Linus Torvalds talks about Windows, Linux, KDE

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    matthews

Erisan said:
    rjdohnert said:
    *snip*
    I'm running KDE 4.2 on Fedora 10 and it works without problems. Like KDE developers said the first two versions were for "developers". I think those version should have been numbered differently though.
    For what developers? KDE developers? I know I don't want to use an unstable desktop environment on any operating system when I'm trying to do dev work.

• User profile image
    Bass

Erisan said:
    rjdohnert said:
    *snip*
    True, they have a lot of work to do. This whole situation would have been avoided easily by using more sane numbers on pre KDE 4.2 releases.
    Have you ever thought that PC/OS would use KDE4 instead of XFCE as a default desktop?
    I think the rational for releasing KDE 4 incomplete was to garner additional interest in KDE. Because you know in open source many of your users are also your developers, so it was important to just the thing out there and hopefully the people using it will starting fixing all the issues. Honestly this strategy seemed to work. I think KDE4 was in development for like 3 years, and in the past year so much more development had occurred that probably wouldn't have happened if KDE4 was still marked alpha.

• User profile image
    Erisan

matthews said:
    Erisan said:
    *snip*
    For what developers? KDE developers? I know I don't want to use an unstable desktop environment on any operating system when I'm trying to do dev work.
    Well ... for all developers(?). You can use any desktop or only a window manager when you are developing KDE 4.

@Bass

Good point. I think the rate that KDE4 has improved is pretty impressive. Maybe it has been possible because people are more interested in KDE 4.0/4.1 than KDE 3.9.x. Especially it may be more attractive for the new developers.

Some distros like Fedora took development version of KDE4 as a default KDE desktop really early. Some may think it was a stupid move, but personally I think it was a really Fedora-like thing to do and _right_ thing to do. Fedora is "bleeding edge" and about technology and development. I'm sure Linus knows that and that's why I'm a bit confused why he is whining about the development version. I think he makes pretty straight comments just to kick desktop developers butts and keep them awake Smiley

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.