Coffeehouse Thread

34 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Who's on Twitter then?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Sabot

Ok so this is me on Twitter ... http://twitter.com/DaveOliver ... if anyone is interested in connecting.

I'm not a monster fan of Twitter, it has a good use and that is text indirection or Micro-blogging. It's a short and concise way of getting info out so the signal to noise ratio is better.

It's pretty rubbish for having a conversation over so still prefer email, IM or forums for that.

I have been thinking allot about how I would improve it? Do you have any suggestions?

-Should there be a mini-twit on C9?
    -Wouldn't it be nice to have messages since your last twit button.

• User profile image
    Bas

I really don't get the appeal of Twitter. But I might be biased. I despise bloggers that have nothing to say, and this seems to encourage more of it. But I'm probably missing something.

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

I'm not on Twitter and I don't feel the need to tweet. I could still change my mind, but I doubt it. I once didn't want to be on Facebook, but after a few friend requests, I tried it and I like it. In Belgium, it's really picking up speed. I recently got back in contact with a friend I hadn't seen in almost 10 years, on Facebook.

But Twitter? No, I don't feel like sharing every little thing about my boring life on the internets. "Tommy is scratching his nuts. Again. Maybe he should see a doctor."

• User profile image
    Yggdrasil

I've taken up Twitter lately. I think the tipping point, for me, was that enough of my friends started tweeting. Like fax machines or email, this is a medium that needs a big enough crowd so that it becomes relevant. So now I use it as a micro-blog along with my other blogs, posting stray thoughts that I hope are amusing or stray links that I hope are interesting, and respond to friends' tweets. Micro-blogging and micro-conversations. It's nice, because it's out in public and people can chime in if they want.

Right now I have about 6 public or semi-public forms of expression on the internet, ranging from the micro-private (MSN/GTalk status lines), micro-semi-private (Facebook status) and micro-public (Twitter), and several outlets for longer pieces, my technical blog, my personal LJ or my more serious blog for more detailed and thought-out musings.  And that doesn't include forums such as C9, commenting on other people's blogs or other forms of expression.

Did I mention I like the sound of my own voice already? Smiley

P.S. Why is C9's Add Link dialog so amazingly worthless? On any browser it always takes at least 10 seconds to load. Grrr.

• User profile image
    webmonkey

I have a twitter account, but my life is so boring I never have anything to post to it Smiley

• User profile image
    littleguru

webmonkey said:
    I have a twitter account, but my life is so boring I never have anything to post to it Smiley
    I have an account as littleguru too... quite never use it. I'm not that much attracked to it.

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Zeo said:
    littleguru said:
    *snip*
    I'm on twitter. I use twhirl and it's really nifty. My twitter name isn't creative it's just ianceicys.
    I'm on Twitter:  http://twitter.com/JonathonW.  I don't post extremely often, though.

• User profile image
    littleguru

CannotResolveSymbol said:
    Zeo said:
    *snip*
    I'm on Twitter:  http://twitter.com/JonathonW.  I don't post extremely often, though.
    Makes me wonder: is here someone who uses Twitter often? "Often" as on a regular base, like each day etc.

• User profile image
    Sabot

Bas said:
    I really don't get the appeal of Twitter. But I might be biased. I despise bloggers that have nothing to say, and this seems to encourage more of it. But I'm probably missing something.
    Yeah I get why people think that Twitter is a waste of time because there really isn't that much to it. It's just such a simple beastie that if you don't have that many people to connect to there isn't that much value.

I have to say that I use it like RSS feeds its a good way to pick up on what certain people are doing. I'm not much interested in the marketing-spreading-the-word angle but it does have value when say Blowdart or Irascian find a good website or util.

If anyway wonders where RossJones is for example, he's forgotten his C9 password, so you'll find him on Twitter and until he finds his password that where he'll stay.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Sabot said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*
    Yeah I get why people think that Twitter is a waste of time because there really isn't that much to it. It's just such a simple beastie that if you don't have that many people to connect to there isn't that much value.

I have to say that I use it like RSS feeds its a good way to pick up on what certain people are doing. I'm not much interested in the marketing-spreading-the-word angle but it does have value when say Blowdart or Irascian find a good website or util.

If anyway wonders where RossJones is for example, he's forgotten his C9 password, so you'll find him on Twitter and until he finds his password that where he'll stay.
    ... and if he forgot his twitter password too? Tongue Out

• User profile image
    harumscarum

I only tweet in private. I am really not that interesting to where I need to post for the world to see.

BTW tommy who is that crazy looking man holding you?

Edit - Dave what is a technical architect compared to a regular architect? Trying to keep your street cred Smiley?

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

harumscarum said:
    I only tweet in private. I am really not that interesting to where I need to post for the world to see.

Edit - Dave what is a technical architect compared to a regular architect? Trying to keep your street cred Smiley?
    I hate to burst your bubble, but that handsome fellow on the left is me. Don't be jealous. It's not my fault that I'm gorgious.

• User profile image
    Sabot

harumscarum said:

Let me explain my job title.

In the UK the job title 'Architect' is protected in law. Only people that are qualified and hold a license to design buildings and building modifications can hold that job title.

The allowed exception is placing a prefix such as 'Technical' infront of 'Architect' meaning someone who design software and/or hardware systems. The 'exception' isn't strictly allowed but the Architects governing body in the UK isn't going to prosecute anyone until they start designing buildings which isn't likely ... so until then they have let us off.

I could use the word 'Designer' instead but in the UK again ******** Architect is the title that people understand better and where it fits into the SDLC rather than Designer.

• User profile image
    Bas

Sabot said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*

I think the thing I dislike about it is the 'micro' aspect. If somebody has something interesting to say, I'd rather they write an informative blog post about it, which you can't do in Twitter. If they don't have something interesting to say, then why should I read about it?

• User profile image
    Cyonix

Mine is http://twitter.com/jmerriweather but i never use it, I only joined up to see what it was all about.

Most of my friends that would be the most likely to use it think its lame. But these are the same friends that didn't like facebook when it came out and they are on facebook now. It would use it if more people i knew used it.

Also, as I'm in Australia they won't send me SMS's anymore. They did for a while but seem to have cut it off.

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Zeo said:
    Cyonix said:
    *snip*
    Take a look at Twhirl. Connect up with Ping.fm and friend feed.

Suddenly the internet feels a lot smaller because I'm able to quickly connect with many of my friends.

Btw with twhirl you can update your:
    1. facebook status,
    2. twitter status,
    3. linked in status
    4. youtube status
    5. MSN messenger status
    6. Digg status
    7. Reddit status

all at the same time.

Check it out: http://ping.fm/

http://friendfeed.com/

http://www.twhirl.org/project/twhirl

Btw if you want to get a laugh throughout the day follow this guy: http://www.twitter.com/Real_Bin_Laden
    May I ask the naive question: what is this all good for in the end? Time killer?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.